Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 29, 2007, 4:32 PM   #1

Hi, how are you ?
As you help me 2 years ago to by my first digital cam (Kodak DX7440) i have the oportunity now to change it cause my brother is travelling next month to Ventura, California. So i need you`r help again.. je

This are the minimum requirements i want from my new cam :
- LCD display >= 2.0``.
- Megapixels >= 6 mp.
- Video recording >= 640x480 30fps.
- Optical Zoom lens >= 10x.
- Nice Auto Mode (for rookies like me).
- Possibility to play with some manual configurations (next year i wish to take some
basic digitall photography clases).
- Be able to take at least 200-300 Photos with the Batterys.
- Quite nice Flash.
- Can use 2gb Memory cards at leat.
- Price of the cam (without accesories ) < U$S 250 (U$S 250 max).

Things i don`t care about :
- The Size.
- Type of Memory Card.
- Brand.

I was thinking in buying the Kodak Z712 (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US). I think that the price is good and met`s with all my requirements (dont know if suport 2gb memorys, and the baterry life). But Some friends told me that the Kodak Cam`s are not good because they don`t have good ISO sensitivity. But i dont know how bad is that and if it`s really true :S What do you thing ?

I accept any recomendatios of any cam you thing that met`s my requirements...

Thanx From now!!!

Andres

P.D. Sorry about my poor english..

nologrocomprender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2007, 6:20 PM   #2

Andres there is no great camera in the point and shoot type that has really great ISO performance. The Kodak's are as good as any and the one you are looking at is better than most. I'd go with it if the price is right. It will work very well up to ISO 400 and perform acceptably at ISO800. It also will not be a big step to learn as you are already familiar with the way Kodaks are laid out. I believe it will work with a 2 gig card but not absolutely sure. The video is as you wish and the Auto is very good and easy for beginners as well as more experienced users.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:34 AM   #3

The Z712 will handle regular 2GB SD cards andat least 4GB SDHC cards. If you use the Kodak KLIC8000 LiIon rechargeable batteries you should be able to get about 350 shots on a charge with minimal flash use and using the EVF. A CVR3 non-rechargeable Li battery should also give about that life.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:51 AM   #4

Thank you Dawg!

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
The Z712 will handle regular 2GB SD cards andat least 4GB SDHC cards. If you use the Kodak KLIC8000 LiIon rechargeable batteries you should be able to get about 350 shots on a charge with minimal flash use and using the EVF. A CVR3 non-rechargeable Li battery should also give about that life.
how do you know that ? i`ve been looking the specs of the cam and the kodak`s Faq. and i haven`t red that anywhere :sad:

It also accepts AA batterys isn`t it ? how long is the battery life with rechargables AA baterrys ?

Any other Cam that met`s with my requirements ?

Thanxs!!!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:06 PM   #5

nologrocomprender wrote:
Quote:
I was thinking in buying the Kodak Z712...........(baterry life)............not good because they don`t have good ISO sensitivity.......It also accepts AA batterys isn`t it ? how long is the battery life with rechargables AA baterrys ?

Battery life is very good if you use the recommended KLIC-8000 Li-ion rechargeable, or direct third-party replacements for it, or use disposable Li primary CR-V3 batteries. I have been getting much worse battery performance from 'rechargeable CR-V3', but the 80-90 shots per charge I get are perfectly usable, and the batteries and charger are much cheaper.

I foundbattery life so shortas to be unusable with AA rechargeable Ni-MH, and Kodak also say they aren't suitable.

High ISO performance is very good, and if you search in the Kodak forum you can see for yourself by looking at specimen images to which someone has kindly posted wen links.

I am delighted with my Z712. I've sold my film SLR at last, after owning 3 other good digicams and trying several others.

Good luck!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:07 PM   #6

If I were you I make a jump to a better manufacture like Canon.

Have consider to do so? If so without hesitation go for Canon Powershot S5 IS, because Canon can, so you can !

kombizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:08 PM   #7

Thanx Alan T !!

Kombizz, Yes I Consider to change the manufacture brand, but the cam that you recomend me cost around 450, i can`t pay that..

Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:49 PM   #8

I'd personally recommend the Panasonic TZ3 even tho' the price may be a little bit higher. It usually sells for 350 but I've seen it as cheap as 300 on sale. Alot better ISO performance IMO. I noticealot of darker images with the Kodak Z712when I was handling1 awhile back.I think Kodak even recognized this as a problem and instituted the "One Touch" feature that allows you to brighten up darker images. The battery on the TZ3 is a Li-Ion so you wouldn't have to worry about CRV3 or AA or any of those batteries that do seem to be least favorable now-a-days. I am very suprised to see that so many WELL EDUCATED users have actually bought Kodaks. IMO the last decent camera Kodak manufactured was the P850. Kodak has even realized a problem and are revamping their entire line of cameras because they are tired of being a bottom-feeding company. They have some new technologies trademarked that may turn their company around but I don't see why any1 would suggest any of the current model Kodaks as a GREAT camera. Not a bias poster towards any brand but if there is 2 brands I find to be very SUB-PAR it would be Kodak & HP. Just my opinion but I am very open to the possibility of some1 more educated than I, to come in and change my opinion.

Not meant to bash any USER or BRAND...Just my experiences and the census of most people I talk to who have alot of knowledge of cameras.
DIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:47 PM   #9

DIGuy wrote:
Quote:
Not meant to bash any USER or BRAND...Just my experiences and the census of most people I talk to who have alot of knowledge of cameras.
I findthe abovea position espoused by those trying to justify their own decisions. The combined experience of those who have responded to the questions here exceed 120 years or specifically I know that three of us exceed 40 years each.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:14 PM   #10

Thanx DIGuy, that panasonic cam is nice!
i`ll check out prices of it..

The Z712 also uses Li-Ion battery`s (KLIC-8000)
the problem is that i`ll have to spend around 60 bugs more to buy 1 battery and it`s respective charger.

About what you said about Kodak, with my poor experience with digital cams, i think that kodak is not a bad brand. but what i see is that they just make low-end and some mid-end cams, not many SLR`s.
And HP yes i think they dont have good cam`s, at least the models that came to my country are horrible...

Thanx!