Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2007, 7:47 AM   #1

I've got dust in the lens of my beloved 6 month old Fuji E900 and am expecting to have to pay for repairs. Depending on the cost I may just get a new camera and I'm wary of getting another E900 in case the problem recurs (I think it is a common flaw with this model).

The photos I have got from the E900 have been superb and I really love having the manual settings to play with, especially the looong shutter speeds, it is so much better than a standard point and shoot.

Can anyone recommend another compact camera like the E900 which has manual settings available as well as point and shoot options, and still gives great photos? I'm looking at spending no more than £250, or the equivalent in$US or $CDNwhich might get me more camera for my money (I'm holidaying in N America soon and could buy then).

Thanks for your help!
morg_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:12 AM   #2

What kind of environment (where) are you using the camera in? There are several environments that virtually all cameras except those specifically designated as weatherproof (which includes dustproof) will be prone to dust intrusion.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 3:36 AM   #3

The first speck of dust appeared when I hadn't even taken the camera out of the house yet. Apart from some test shots inside it had been kept in the plastic bag and box it arrived in from Amazon. I should have returned it straight away, the speck stayed for a month or so and then disappeared, so I thought nothing more of it. Then a few months later reappeared in a different place, annoyingly near the middle of the lens. I have a Lowe bag for it now (it was really hard to find a bag for this camera that fit since it is a bit bigger than most compacts).
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:25 AM   #4

Are you seeing the speck on the lens itself or in the photos? If you see it on the lens itself I'd think it was simple manufacturing error on that sample and warranty replacement/repair would be in order. If it shows in photos but you don't physically see it on the lens then it would need more diagnostics. Generally you can't see the results a a single internal piece of dust on a photo unless due to light angle it causes a bit of flare.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:21 AM   #5

I feel bad for my lack of faith in Fuji, my camera was returned to me one week to the day I sent it, fixed under the warranty. The paper invoice said that the CCD had been cleaned so I guess its possible that some contamination was there from manafacture. At any rate I will be keeping the camera in a plastic bag inside the case I have for it to prevent future problems!
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:23 AM   #6

Glad to see you're up and running. You might want keep a couple of silica gel packets in the plastic bag to control moisture.

A. C.