Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:33 AM   #1

I currently own a Canon 10D and I want to buy a wide angle lens, the Canon 16-35MM II 2.8. I'm contemplating if I should upgrade my 10D to a 5Dto take full advantage of the full frame sensor that the 5D would give me with this lens. The 12.8 megapixels is really over kill as I don't plan on blowing anything up bigger then 16 X 20.

Is the investmentin the 5D worth the extra cost or should I just stick with my 10D?

Rooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2007, 1:54 AM   #2
Super Moderator

That's a difficult question.

I upgraded from a 20D about 5 months ago. The 5D is a lovely camera. But to be honest of all the pictures I've taken since the upgrade (and we've had a miserable, rainy summer so it's a lot less than it might have been) I can honestly say that there are very few that would not have been just as good with the 20D.

I love the shallower DOF I get from my 50mm f1.4. There is a modest improvement in dynamic range and ISO performance and resolution. For anything less than A4 however these differences are negligible, even at A3 they're not that easy to see.

The camera is bigger and a little heavier with a much better viewfinder - all of which contribute to making it much nicer to use. I also like that the RAW buffer is deeper, I've not hit the end of it yet, which I did occasionally do with the 20D.

My Sigma 12-24 is very interesting on the 5D, but optically is fairly weak so it's more the angle of view that is appealing rather than the image quality. The 24-105 L is lovely - the colour saturation is excellent and it's pretty sharp. But the lens that is on the camera 90% of the time is the 50mm f1.4. If you want it mainly for the 16-35 L then I guess it's a pretty good option, though a 30D + 10-22 would cost a lot less.

Overall I'd say that if you can afford it and want it then go for it. It's not going to magically make your pictures any better though; sure there will be a slight "technical" boost from the extra resolution (that you will certainly see at 16x20) better dynamic range is nice too, and of course you'll get a proper wide angle with the lovely rendition of the L lens. But a great image with technical flaws is still a great image, a technically perfect butuninspiring image is rather sad.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:14 AM   #3

peripatetic, thanks for the info. I have until Friday to decide. So time is getting short. I'll let you know what I decide.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:28 AM   #4
Super Moderator

What sort of photography do you do or do you want to do? I have a 30D and 5D and use the 5D for landscape, portraits etc and the 30D for sports/action where the 5fps is needed, also the 1.6x crop helps in certain areas. With the 5D I love the feel and the wonderful big, bright viewfinder.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:06 AM   #5

I do mostly landscape photography. I'm looking to get into moreportrait photography. I don't need 5fps, 3 will do me just fine. Plus it's just a matter of cash. I'm sure you never heard that before. LOL.........
Old Aug 2, 2007, 3:39 AM   #6
Super Moderator

In that case you have possibilities to consider. The 10D will give the resolution needed to get an acceptable shot at 20x16 as you will be getting approx 130dpi so with some interpolation then all should be well. Getting good glass is going to be important and for your portraits something with f2.8 or brighter is really going to assist in creativity. Even the 24-105mm f4 that I got for my 5D works well on the 30D for portraits. Here are some that I took while in Bosnia recently with that lens.

F4 is not the most creative that you can get so it is not ideal. I would personally really look at getting a creative package of the 10 or upgrade to 30D, Canon 50mm f1.8 or Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina (have a look at take your pick) 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 10-22mm. This should cost you less that the 5D, let alone 5D with a new lens. The only downside of the suggested package is that you don't have a walk around lens with the range of 17-50+mm so it depends what you have currently and also how important you think this range is. I fine that 24mm is not always wide enough on a crop camera but with the 10-20 in the kit as well that you are pretty well covered. In honesty with my 30D my walk around lens is still the Sigma 17-70mm which I find great for day to day use.

Well that is food for thought at least.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 11:37 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. I think I'm leaning more towards putting my money into the lens and upgrade to the 5D at a later time. Having good glass can't hurt with my 10D.I think by doing that I'll be ahead when the time comes to upgrade. Or bythen something will be outthat wil have replaced the 5D. Time will tell.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Very wise. I moved to the 5D as I'm starting to sell more portrait work and I'm also doing weddings where the 5D rocks.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:53 PM   #9

Good plan!
The fall Photokinia where new models may be announced is just around the corner near the end of September.

A new version of the 5D with the new digic-III processor inside would be a very interesting development indeed, if it showed up! :lol:
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 2:53 PM   #10

I would love to see that. The only problem with that is of course it will be more $$$$. Maybe I can sell my house and just live in my car. LOL..........