Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2007, 11:21 PM   #1

hello.

im thinking about byuing a good new slr and i would basicly would like to know what am i paying for if i'll buy the D80 instead of the d40x. whats the major things between them.
some one told that in the canon xti and d40x the "engine" is in the lens (which makes the lens more pricey) i would like to know if its the same with the d80 or its in the body of the camera in this one?

Low-life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:46 AM   #2

Low-life wrote:
Quote:
im thinking about byuing a good new slr and i would basicly would like to know what am i paying for if i'll buy the D80 instead of the d40x. whats the major things between them.
One big difference is that the D40x (and the D40) don't have an internal autofocus motor, while the D80 does. The effectis that most of Nikon's lenses, and most third party lenses, that will autofocus on the D80, won't autofocus on the D40x (or the D40). While the selection of lenses from Nikon that will work on the D40x is quite good, and they are good quality lenses at reasonable prices, most of Nikon's lenses, including most of their best lenses. won't autofocus with it. In addition, most Sigma lenses, and no Tamron and Tokina lenses will autofocus on the D40x.

One of the significant rreasons for buying a Nikon dSLR (or a Canon for that matter) is the wealth of available lenses, both from the original manufacturers and from third parties. Even though the D40x is from Nikon, it doesn't have that advantage. There are other differences between the D40x and the D80, but in my opinion, this is a significant one. If' however, you are prepared tostay within the limited selection of lenses, the D40x is afine camera.

Low-life wrote:
Quote:
some one told that in the canon xti and d40x the "engine" is in the lens (which makes the lens more pricey) i would like to know if its the same with the d80 or its in the body of the camera in this one?
The terminology you're using isn't very precise, but I think what that person was referring to when he or she used the term "engine" was that both Canon and Nikon use Image Stabilization (Canon's term for it) or Vibration Reduction (Nikon's) in their lenses, while other camera manufacturers put it in th ecamera body. Canon's IS lenses and Nikon's VR lenses are about $300-$500 more than equivalent lenses without it, so I think that's what your friend was talking about. It applies to all Canon and Nikon lenses and camera bodues, so, yes, it would apply to the D80.

Other camera manufacturers (Olympus, Pentax, & Sony)put the image stabilization in the camera body. The result is that you only have to buy it once, but it is of little value in some circumstances.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 2:43 PM   #3

According to Nikon []http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/DSLRCompare.pdf] other differences include:

The D80 has White Balance Bracketing, while the D40x does not.

The D80 has a PentaPrism viewfinder, while the D40x has a PentaMirror. PentaPrisms are brighter, smallerand more durable than PentaMirrors, but are heavier and more expensive.

The D80 has 'on demand' gridlines on the focusing screen, while the D40x does not.

The D80 has "Predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject's status", while the D40x does not.

The D80 has 11 focus areas, while the D40x has only 3. Also The D80's center focus area can be switched from normal to wide-frame operation.

The D80 has 7 programmed exposure modes, while the D40x has 8.

The D80 has Exposure Bracketing, while the D40x does not.

The D80 has 3 levels of high ISO noise reduction, while the D40x has 1.

The D80 has a Range Priority Flash mode, while the D40x does not.

The D80 has an Auto FP High Speed Flash Sync. of 1/4000 sec., while the D40x does not.

The D80 has Flash Bracketing, while the D40x does not.

The D80 can control remote flashes wirelessly, while the D40x does not.

The D80 has a depth-of-field preview, while the D40x does not.

The D80 has an optional battery grip, while the D40x does not.

Adorama has the D40x body for $636, and the D80 body for $880. The most useful features I see in the D80 are the pentaprism, the various methods of bracketing, and the depth-of-field preview. You need to decide if those, plus the much wider selection of lenses, is worth $244.

... or if you really want a Nikon.

Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:00 PM   #4

Wow,
thank you so very much.
your answered help me very much,
next time i know excatly where to go.
again , thank you
low-life
Low-life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:03 PM   #5

For what it is worth. The D40X remains a real bargain for a 10mp camera with a ton of features. Most folks do NOT have to spend the extra $$ for the D-80, unless they have special requirements.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 9:34 PM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
For what it is worth. The D40X remains a real bargain for a 10mp camera with a ton of features. Most folks do NOT have to spend the extra $$ for the D-80, unless they have special requirements.
Absolutely.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:07 PM   #7

The D40x and the D80 have the same censor. The main difference is features. As for lenses. Nikon has a history here. Don't be surprised if we see more cameras without an internal motor and more lenses to accommodate them. The top on the line models will accommodate older lenses. But the rest of the line will go the way of the D40.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 1:31 PM   #8

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
The D40x and the D80 have the same censor. The main difference is features. As for lenses. Nikon has a history here. Don't be surprised if we see more cameras without an internal motor and more lenses to accommodate them. The top on the line models will accommodate older lenses. But the rest of the line will go the way of the D40.
I don't think that will go down very well. There is a large body of professional, semi-professional and advanced amature photographers that have thousands, even tens of thousands of dollars in Nikon lenses. I don't think they will stand by while Nikon makes their investment in lenses worthless. And one of the things that can be said about Nikon is that it is responsive to its installed base.

Dropping the internal autofocus motor was a cost cutting move by Nikon (along with dropping the pentaprism for a pentamirror). I don't think it'san indication of things to come.

My read is that Nikon intends the D40/D40x for the uneducated masses (i.e.: Wal-Mart customers)who may someday want to step up to a more advanced dSLR, and they will be hooked because they will already have an investment in Nikon lenses. The D40/D40x are for getting new customers; the D80/D200/D2Xs are for keeping current customers.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 2:16 PM   #9

If it were me, I'd opt for either the 6 mp d40 or the d80 - I'm a fan of the 6 mp sensor (I have a camera with that sensor in it and use it along with another camera with a 10 mp sensor - keeping different type lenses on them. I don't find the image quality less from the 6 mp camera at all). Buying the d40 instead of the d40x means more money for better lenses - which means more to the image quality than the number of pixels (unless you are birding and cropping a lot).

If money is no object, then I would skip the d40x and go with the extra capabilities/lens compatibilityof the d80.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:01 PM   #10

TCav wrote:
Quote:
tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
I don't think that will go down very well. There is a large body of professional, semi-professional and advanced amature photographers that have thousands, even tens of thousands of dollars in Nikon lenses. I don't think they will stand by while Nikon makes their investment in lenses worthless. And one of the things that can be said about Nikon is that it is responsive to its installed base.

Dropping the internal autofocus motor was a cost cutting move by Nikon (along with dropping the pentaprism for a pentamirror). I don't think it'san indication of things to come.

My read is that Nikon intends the D40/D40x for the uneducated masses (i.e.: Wal-Mart customers)who may someday want to step up to a more advanced dSLR, and they will be hooked because they will already have an investment in Nikon lenses. The D40/D40x are for getting new customers; the D80/D200/D2Xs are for keeping current customers.
As I said Nikon has a history here. When they went to the AI coupling older lenses could only be used on the expencive F3 the FM and FE but not the FM2 FE2 FG or FA I wont even talk about the EM eeww

When the world went auto-focus nikon was one of the last to switch for the very reasons you state here "I don't think they will stand by while Nikon makes their investment in lenses worthless." That turned out to be a bad dissision on Nikons part. There were more first time camera buyers then ones looking to upgrade. And Nikon lost their hold on the market. And they lerned for that mistake.

Now all those AI lenses though mountable will only meter with the expencive D200

Nikon has alwas put thair new features and technoligies into their entry level cameras first. And thair top of the line cameras retain the old technoligy at least for a while.

PS thanks to a screewdriver and a file I still use 1959 silver barrel lenses with my D50 but most would not do this.

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote