Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 5, 2007, 6:45 PM   #1

I'm looking for a P&S camera that has excellent image quality. It is difficult (actually maddening, frusrating, etc.) to go thru each review to try and find those magic words. So far I have only found one, the Canon G7.

I don't underrstand the "best cameras" section, is it updated regularily?

tia
rhendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2007, 7:08 PM   #2
Administrator

No, you can't search them that way (unless you want to use Google and find every page here with the word excellent in it). ;-)

As for the Best Camera List, I just sent a note to Steve about it. It does look like it needs an update.

The cameras in this list are deemed to be a good value within their market niche.

As for the use of the word "excellent", I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that. Read the review conclusions to get thoughts on how a model compares to other similar cameras. Then, look at the sample images and make up your own mind. ;-)

One trend we are seeing now with Digital Cameras is that the so called "Prosumer" or "Bridge" cameras are pretty much vanishing. The entry level dSLR models are where the manufacturers are placing more emphasis lately instead of focusing on higher end non-DSLR models.

Marietta, huh? My wife and I lived there for 12 years (we lived off of Power Springs Road in Horseshoe Bend Subdivision, which is near the East-West Connector.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:59 AM   #3

I have a Maxum 5d and I've gotten pretty use to clear sharp images. I would like a smaller carry-around camera that maitains that quality.

It seems like every review gives each camera a "good" image quality rating. I was thinking maybe "excellent" really meant something. Reading through so many reviews is over whelming!
rhendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:12 AM   #4

The only cameras, IMHO, that come close to the Canon G-7, are the Canon S-3IS and the A-710 IS.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:21 AM   #5
Administrator

Yes, Excellent does mean Excellent. But, you'll find other terms used to describe image quality in the reviews, too.

For example, this is what Steve said about the 700IS mtclimber mentioned (using the word Great instead of Excellent). ;-) But, he's comparing models to similar models within their market niche. So, take that into consideration when making a choice.

It's all relative, and image quality is subjective. Any decision is going to be a compromise in one area or another.

"was able to capture great shots both indoors and out. Our outdoor samples are sharp with good overall exposure, and color balance was pleasing for a consumer camera."

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...sd700_pg5.html

Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:29 AM   #6

BTW, Jim C-

I am the mother of eight children so I am probably not a he. No offence taken. The point that Jim is raising is a very valid one. Again another opinion, but to me cameras like the Canon G-7, A-710IS and the S-3IS can not do everything or every photo environment, that is why I am walking around with 4 cameras in my camera bag/purse. For example, the Fuji F series and S series cameras excell in low light level shots that would sorely test the the G-7, the A-710IS and the S-3IS.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Administrator

I was referring to Steve when I said "he" here Sarah. Sorry, if that wasn't clear. I realize that you're not a he. ;-)

Quote:
For example, this is what Steve said about the 700IS mtclimber mentioned (using the word Great instead of Excellent). ;-) But, he's comparing models to similar models within their market niche. So, take that into consideration when making a choice.