Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:33 PM   #11

JohnG-

But paying $(US) 100 to $(US) for that flash shoe is NOT very economical, when you can use a big slave flash Like the Vivitar DF-200 (full tilt and swivel) and still save money while keeping you ISO settings minimal (below ISO 200).

I own a Canon 420ex and the Vivitar DF-200 already, so for me the S-3 is a money saving choice. I would love to hear your comments, John.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:36 PM   #12

Sarah,

It's been a lot of years since I used a slave flash. Since you use both slave and ETTL flashes do you think the Vivitar slave produces results as good as a true ETTL flash?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:43 PM   #13

JohnG-

Here is a photo sample taken with my Canon S-2 equipped with the Vivitar DF-200 slave flash, and bounciing it off the ceiling.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:59 PM   #14

Here are 43,261 S3 photos you can peruse: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_s3_is They have only 330 shots from the S5, but it should be enough for a comparison: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_s5_is

Download the free Opanda iEXIF and a right click on any shot with EXIF will usually tell you whether it has been through an editor. Most of the photos on pbase have EXIF.

If you hit one that is full sized (click "Original") and unedited go to that full gallery. They will all probably be unedited and full sized in that particular gallery.

I don't think you need a pricey flash unit for a Canon if the S5 is of interest. As far as I know Canon hot shoes aren't proprietary in that a regular automatic unit will work fine. You can get a competent automatic bounce flash unit for $30 and make a diffuser for it. A little more money will get you more power.

Of course a dedicated TTL unit is more convenient and sometimes more consistent. But any external unit will improve your flash photography.

They almost made the perfect super zoom for me in the S5. If they had only added raw I would have ordered one by now. Raw lets you bypass the in-camera noise reduction. I do better myself with a plug-in. The higher quality and larger articulated LCD would be nice, but the better EVF and hot shoe are very appealing.

In their conclusion of the S5 review, dpreview said:
"So then, Canon took an already great camera and gave it a better screen, better viewfinder and a flash hot shoe, and made it a bit prettier to boot. They then put inside it a sensor that is noisier than its predecessor, meaning that - for the most part - the resolution increase simply isn't reflected in the output, thanks to the need for stronger noise reduction. It's certainly a better camera in most respects, but the improvements are about 'features' not 'picture quality', and we'd hoped for a little more from Canon this time around."

Their resolution chart however showed a significant resolution increase over the S3. The tests for that are done at ISO100 and their complaint of resolution loss if for higher ISO where the in-camera noise reduction (and just noise) smears the image.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:09 PM   #15

Slipe-

Thanks for your comments. They are right on target. Yes, I agree 100% that if the S-5 had RAW it would be a go for it situation for me. But the present $100 to $140 added difference to get the S-5 makes me hesitate for now.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:22 PM   #16

WadeS wrote:
Quote:
I'm quite new to photography & I've been doing quite a bit of research on different cameras within my budget ($500 Canadian) & I keep coming back to the S3 IS camera. I've seen a lot of photographs and know partially what the camera is capable of, but a lot of times people don't post whether or not they are using the stock lens & also if they have done any post processing.. Could you please offer me some photographs with just the stock lens,.. any type. macro.. wide... portraits... landscape.. whatever you feel like displaying. Thank you in advance.. Also, I heard the ISO 400 & 800 had quite a bit of noise.. How does this camera do indoors with low light? Also, do you know of any cameras similar to price & quality that I should check out?
Hi Wade, I also brought the S3 when futureshop offered a Canada day sale at $349 ($200 Cdn less than S5). Till now I am very staisfied with it, and yet to use it to its full potential. I took a few pictures on fireworks, which I am posting here. I am no pro, so keep in mind my S3 could have produced better picture quality in better hands.
Attached Images

mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:33 PM   #17

Here is another. Meanwhile I would also appreciate if any of you could please comment on how to improve these pictures. I realize they are not too good, but I would like to do better
Attached Images

Old Aug 7, 2007, 7:51 PM   #18

The Canon S-3 is certainly no slouch. I don't want to offend you Canon S-5 fans, but there is a substantial price difference.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 8, 2007, 2:39 PM   #19

I think the S-5's two big improvements are the hot shoe and the 2.5 inch monitor. The only thing I do not like on my S-3 is the monitor andtheEVF, whichis not too great, especially when it is sunny outdoors. The first big improvement, the hot shoe, I guess is more a cup of tea of professionals, and others who already have a DSLR, andwith ita flash. So they do not have to invest separately on a flash, and can use their old flash with the S-5, when they want to travel light.

For someone without a flash, other than the $150 price difference, you need to buy a $200 flash to make it really worthwhile going for the S-5 - rather than S3 -and use the S-5 to its full potential. To me that is too much.

Also, on the other hand, the price difference between the S-5, and an entry level D-SLR like say the Nikon D-40 is not that much.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:07 PM   #20

mtgoat-

Unfortunately, the investment in the Nikon D-40 will also require an expernal flash and some additional lenses, so the investment in a DSLR like the D-40 is more like $800 to $1,000.

Opteka makes a flash for the S-5 that sells for $119 and it has been getting good reviews. The primary issue on the S-5 is to keep the ISO settings at 200 or lower so that the in camera noise reduction does not kick-in and blur the details in your photos.

Sarah Joyce