Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:30 PM   #21

thanks Sarah for your reply. I did not know of the Opteka flash, so many thanks for the info. Though I have already bought an S3, and not interested in buying another megazoom soon, I would be able to suggest it tomy friends.

Also, since you have an S3, would it be possible for you to let me know what settings you use while shooting indoors? My indoor pictures are still not satisfactory,I am yet to find the camera's sweet spot.

Thanks in advance for your time and interest
mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:45 PM   #22

mtgoat-

When shooting with flash indoors I use a Vivitar DF-200 slave flash, which really works well. I bounce the slave flash off the ceiling, while the camera's built-in flash acts as a fill flash. The S-2 or S-3's built-in flash act as a "trigger" for the slave flash.

I am very pleased with the results. I have attached two photos. One shows the slave flash mounted on my S-2, it is the same way on the S-3. The second photo shows the kind of result that you casn expect from this setup.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:02 PM   #23

mtgoat wrote:
Quote:
Here is another. Meanwhile I would also appreciate if any of you could please comment on how to improve these pictures. I realize they are not too good, but I would like to do better
The best way most folks can improve their fireworks photos is to not have the camera in hand - put it on a tripod. Point the camera at a section of the sky where the fireworks are going to be, fire the shutter when you see something leaving the ground in that direction and don't attempt to "chase" the fireworks.

Actually your first is pretty nice by any standard and I find the second attractive in its own way.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:21 PM   #24

many thanks ac.smith for your comments and encouragement. Actually, now that you said it, I recall that I did indeed chase thefireworks bursts, and that I guess led to camera shake.

Also, at the latter part of a fireworks show, a lot ofsmoke is generated (due to previous blasts) , and the resulting images are not sharp enough. You are not getting the fireworks shots against a black sky but a cloud of smoke. How do you guys innovate in these cases. That is, what setting doyou change?Or do youguys fix it through post-procesing?

I am attaching one image which showsred fireworks against red smoke to illustrate my point. I actually had worse images which I deleted.
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:27 PM   #25

Many thanks Sarah for your suggestion, I will keep that in mind. However, at the moment I do not have a flash. I don't think I will be able to buy it very soon also. I am an univ. student and photography is my hobby, not my profession. However, I really want to learn photography, since I love it.

I was actually wondering whether it is possible to get quality indoor shots without a flash.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:35 PM   #26

mtgoat-

Neither the S-3 nor the S-5 are good low light level environment cameras. My solution for low light is to pull out my Fuji F series camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:43 PM   #27

Well then, I have to get some money and buy an usedflash from e-bay or craigslist. Actually, which flash would go with the S3, could you kindly let me know? Also, till that time, what would be a way to get reasonably good low light shots? Setting the ISO higher?

Further, let me add I really appreciate your help.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:04 PM   #28

mtgoat-

I purchased the Vivitar DF-200 slave flash on e-bay for $30, and that set up really works well. In the meantime use the S-3's builtin flash and up the iso if your photos are too dark.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:13 PM   #29

Wade,

If its any additional help I posted side by side pics from my S2 and S5 at my pbase site.

the URL is : http://www.pbase.com/johngalt_ny

If you'd like, take a look. Ulyimately it's your call. I do agree though that indoors in low light the S series isn't great. I use my older Olympus C-5000 for that.

Good luck.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:39 PM   #30

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
mtgoat-

I purchased the Vivitar DF-200 slave flash on e-bay for $30, and that set up really works well. In the meantime use the S-3's builtin flash and up the iso if your photos are too dark.

Sarah Joyce
Many thanks Sarah again. I did not know you can get a flash at such a reasonable price, I was thinking of at least $100. Now I will get the flash as soon as possible.