Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 6, 2007, 2:06 PM   #1

Hi, New to the forum. Years ago I bought a 1a Fuji camera and loved it. I want a good camera that that can take close ups and do long distance as well. I would like to keep it at $800.00 or below. Also could you tell me any web sites that I can learn more about camera's and how to take great shoots like the ones on this site. Sorry for the long post. Bob
no time is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2007, 2:48 PM   #2

Bob,

Any DSLR on the market is capable of generally good 'close up' and 'long distance' shots - provided it has the right lens for the job. You need to be a bit more specific about what you plan to shoot and the level of quality you want. As an example, if you want wildlife shots like Eric S - he uses a canon 600mm lens I believe - which sells for around $7000 USD. But plenty of other wildlife shooters use lenses that cost a lot less. And again, 'long distance' and 'close up' can mean different things to different people. To some people, 'long distance' is 100 feet to others it's 200 yards. To some people 'close up' is a portrait while to others it's a macro shot of a fly's eye.

So, if you can provide some more details regarding the types of shooting you plan on doing people can throw out some possible solutions in the various DSLR systems. Depending on your needs some systems might be a better fit than others. But it's also possible your needs are simple enough any DSLR could fit the bill - in which case it becomes a matter of personal preferene (usually entailing going to a store and handling a camera and seeing which one(s) feel better to you.

So, give us some additional info and we'll try and help you out.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:05 PM   #3

Thanks John, Ok... I plan on shooting products up close .... 12 inches or less. Long distance maybe 200 ft or less. I want to learn as much as possible. I would love to take a class local. I have forgotten alot of the terms used. Are there any site"s that have how to"s? Thanks for all your help. I want to do this right.

Bob
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:36 AM   #4

product shots: any dslr will be up to the task. Lighting and stability are more the issue. It's not my area of expertise but I would think a strobe or two and a shooting tent or tabletop / backdrop and a tripod for your camera would be important to good product shots. A decent macro-capable lens is available in every system. I'll let more experienced macro shooters make suggestions.

still not sure what you plan on shooting when you say "long shots, 200 feet or less". Shooting a building outdoors would use a different lens than shooting a bird than shooting stage performers in an indoor theater.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:11 AM   #5

Try http://www.shortcourses.com/ for some basic guidance.

I've also been reading "Rick Sammon's Complete guide to digital photography 2.0" and have learned quite a bit. It's in lesson form so you can jump around to the section you need at the moment.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:39 PM   #6

Good info on the link. Thank you Bob. The items I will target will be outdoor life...bird's,tree's,boats on the water and other natures shoots etc. Maybe some country settings as well.I guess I need a good starter kit. Maybe after I take this online course I will be able to narrow it down some more. Sorry for not being able to explain more. this is harder then I thought. Alot has changed in 22 year's. LOl

Thanks for all your help.
Bob