Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:26 PM   #1

Hey all,

I'm in the market for a new camera. I was using my girlfriends canon powershot sd450 for a while and it just isnt cutting it anymore. I've looked into olympus but i've read reviews that say the pictures are just "ok." I looked at the canon ps sd850IS but i've also readreviews that say"It was hard to capturephoto's ofmy children running around." Children dont run at 20mph so i dont think it would make a good action shot camera even with its high iso.I know im not going to get SLR quality but i'm hoping theres something out there that will be able to take cleaner, clearer shotsthan the 450without a ton of time delay between shots. I ride Quads so i'm usually trying to catch guys moving at about20-40mph.I would love to go withan slr but i also packmy camera away inmy camelback and head off into the trails, and i doubt a bulky camera is going to stand up toall that bouncing around.

So whatdo you think?Am i searching for something that cant be found? Oram i just not reading the right reviews?

I dont really have anyfavorite brands, i do like canon but imvery open to other brands. Dont really want to spend over $400.

Thanks forany help you can give me!

gearhead400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:39 PM   #2

gearhead-

You might take a look at the Canon S-3IS. You would have 12X stabilized optical zoom, which I guess would be useful when riding your quad.

If you wanted higher ISO settings, take a look at the Fuji S-6000.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:08 PM   #3

Those are nice and i actually like the fuji better than the canon, but im looking for something a little smaller for the trails. Thank you for your quick response! I might still get the fuji though, for big race events with stadium seating or even for gncc.

Any other suggestions?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:51 PM   #4

I just saw the sony cybershot dscw55 has burst fire mode which will let you take 4 shots in a row!! Is there anyway to search to find other camera's with burst fire without pulling up a bunch of smg's? lol
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:38 PM   #5

Most Panasonic cameras have a good burst mode. The frames per second or fps is more important than how many it will take before filling the buffer. The W55 takes about a frame a second where most Panasonics are up in the 3fps range. Panasonics don't do well at high ISO though. There are several other sub-compacts with decent burst modes but I don't know of a way to look for them specifically.

The camera you would be happiest with would probably be the Fuji F31. But you have to move fast as it was discontinued and the supply is drying up. Tri State still has them, but it is the last reliable retailer with stock that I see. Its high ISO performance is unmatched short of a DSLR. The F31 takes 3 best quality shots at 2.3 fps.

A great action camera would be the Canon G7, but it is over your price range and probably too large. It has a continuous focus burst mode where it focuses with each shot in a burst. Most burst modes keep the focus from the first shot.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:12 PM   #6

thanks for the help!
Is this the one? the site doesnt mention the burst mode but if you know it has it i dont need to read it.

http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat...rch_method=all

The G7 looks real nice but your right, its not what im looking to pay right NOW and i would be scared to put that in my camelback, because if i went to pull it out and is was in more than one piece, i'd probably cry haha. I love taking pictures though so im sure i'll buy one of those or something similar once i get tired of the fuji i might buy. :-)

Thanks again!
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:23 PM   #7

Yes, that's the one I'm referring to. I have no idea why they discontinued it. People who have one love it. They have a new 12Mp model coming out that Fuji says is a replacement for the F31.

The biggest downside to the camera is the lack of an optical viewfinder. I find I can acquire a target and follow it a lot better with an eyelevel viewfinder – especially when zoomed. And dpreview says the LCD isn't great in bright sunlight. But if you need something you can crank the ISO up to capture action with less than ideal light nothing holds a candle to it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:30 PM   #8

Awesome, i think my mind is made then, thanks for all your help! Yours too mtclimber!