Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:25 AM   #1

Ive read a lot posts complimenting the S3. I was at circuit city getting a new memory card and picked up a lot of cameras to check them out. I really liked the feel of the S5 which comes with a hot shoe, good feature that a lot of them don't have. I believe Sarah mentioned in another post the good deals on the S3 now which also has a good solid feel, not toylike, in your hands. Is the extra money worth it for a couple megapixels and hot shoe? The S3 can mount an external flash to the tripod mount if needed. Will you gain much in print size going from 6 to 8 megapixels? Either way I'm leaning towards a canon for my next camera.
esharri
esharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:35 AM   #2

esharri-

For me there is not quite enough in added features to go with the S-5. Yes, the hot shoe is nice but the noise reduction needed to work with the Digic III chip is not. It is all caused by those two added mp. If they were priced the same, I would most probably opt for the S-5, but they are not.

I can get the advantage of the external flash by using my Vivitar DF-200 slave flash with the S-3.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:35 AM   #3

Sarah,
You obviously have a grasp of what is happening. You're saying by adding the extra 2 mgpix they actually reduced quality because of noise ? I was hoping to get a camera that could take decent photo prints at up to 13x19 which the wide format ink jets will do today. I have a 4 megapixel 765c oly and I can take decent photo prints up to 10x14 printed. I'm guessing 6 will be more than enough to do that. What is your experience with the quality of the S3 at full optical 12x. Thanks for the help
esharri
Old Aug 7, 2007, 12:09 PM   #4

esharri-

Please keep in mind that when you push out to the full 12X of optical zoom, the prints might go up to 13 X 9, but they would have to be at ISO settings of ISO 200 and below. If we are speaking of lanscapes, use a tripod with ISO 50 for your best results. It is very difficult to generalize without have a specific photo to examine.

Please keep in mind that the photographer and the lighting available in the specific photo environment control all the photo elements of any photo. That is where creativity comes into the equation. Yes, I have seen 12X optical zoom photos from the S-3 that would make wonderful 13 X 9 prints. However, the care and precision that the photographer puts intoany specific photo has a very direct effect on any resulting photo from any camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:28 PM   #5

I don't go above 200 ISO for anything, usually I leave it at 100 for most. What I have here is a photo taken at 200 ISO in landscape mode at around 40 yards at 10x. I can print this to 10 by 14 without loss of what quality is there, be it not perfect to begin with. What I'm looking for is the ability to do this at 100 yards at 12x with the canon S3 or S5 and be able to print it with the same quality. My thought was that 2x more of optical zoom and 2 or 4 more megapixels may allow this. What are your thoughts or advise.
Thanks
Attached Images

Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:55 PM   #6

esharri-

Let me tell you that I am also tempted by the S-5 because I do a lot of flash work, but at least for now, the price gap is too great to go to the S-5.

For me, after viewing your photo, it is extremely difficult to guess what a S-5 could do with the same photo environment. You will only know for sure if you take a chance, and get the S-5.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 7, 2007, 3:02 PM   #7

Hah, that bad huh. I do have some better quality pictures but that one was 200 ISO in a semi light area, so I thought I would see if you thought the canons would do better above that 100 mark that seems to be where noise starts it's quest. I'm trying to get something better, it's difficult to choose.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:45 PM   #8

Well, esharri-

This afternoon I ordered a Canon S-5IS. So within a few days we will quite realistically know if the S5IS really does offer a few positive advantages in getting that all important 13 X9 enlagement that really does show a whole lot of detail throughout the print. Please stand by won't you. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 7, 2007, 7:04 PM   #9

I love it when the rich people buy all the cameras so we don't spend all our money without knowing what's best beforehand : ) Thanks
Eric
Old Aug 7, 2007, 7:45 PM   #10

esharri-

To tell you the truth, I am very much OFFENDED!

I am not that rich person that you describe in your post. In fact, whileI have sincerely attempted to help you, I am very much no longer inclined to help you at all. You made the post that told me everything about how your mind thinks. Please count me out from here onward. I am truly sorry that I got involved with yor posts.

Sarah Joyce