Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:20 AM   #1

What would be the next logical advance. Doesn't matter if it's Nikon, Canon, Fujifilm, Sigma, Sony, etc. I want a new DSLR, same or different company, under $1000, better than the D50, preferably not Nikon, but if you must - then Nikon.
JSDYKSTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:02 AM   #2
Super Moderator

What is it you don't like about your D50? And what don't you like about Nikon?

Do you have any lens investment?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:27 PM   #3

JSDYKSTRA wrote:
Quote:
...preferably not Nikon ...
There are no BAD dSLRs, and many will meet your criteria (better than the D50 and less than $1000).

Perhaps you can tell us what you'll use it for, and why you would prefer not to have another Nikon?

And if you could, could you say what lenses, if any, you might have. If you've got a lot invested in lenses but don't want a Nikon body, you could use your Nikkor lenses on a Fuji dSLR and save a lot of money.

'JSDYKSTRA'? What do your friends call you? :-)

TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:40 PM   #4

Knowing a budget helps as well as knowing about lenses you have (the lenscan makea HUGE difference in image quality). My original dSLR was a Pentax DS for two reasons - it felt nice in my hands and it worked out cheaper for me because I had some old manual lenses from my film days. I've been completely happy with the Pentax line (now have a K10 and K100), but figure that if the D40 had been out when I was buying, I couldhave beena happy (but poorer)Nikon user. What is it about the D50 you don't like? I know I didn't like the chunky size, the reason why the D40 would appeal more to me if I were buying my first dSLR now. What is it you like to take pictures of? If you are into sports, then you are talking major bucks and Canon. If you find you get more camera shake then you like, check out Pentax or Sony (my preference is obviously Pentax). There's no ultimate, one-size-fits-all answer to your question.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:42 PM   #5
Administrator

JSDYKSTRA wrote:
Quote:
What would be the next logical advance. Doesn't matter if it's Nikon, Canon, Fujifilm, Sigma, Sony, etc. I want a new DSLR, same or different company, under $1000, better than the D50, preferably not Nikon, but if you must - then Nikon.
Logical advance for what? Where are you seeing limitations with your current equipment and what lenses do you have?

Depending on what your issues are, you may want to spend the money in lenses versus a camera body.

I'd give members more info on why you want to upgrade, what kind of photos you take and in what conditions, etc.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote