Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2007, 5:00 PM   #91

Bob-

I just want to be sure about your request. You want the same lens (which in this case was the Tamrron 24-135mm)but on different cameras such as the XT and the 20D? Would that be correct?

While we are on the same post, how about an external flash? Do you want to pay around $230 for the EX 430, or $120 for the Opteka EF-600? They both perform the same.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 5:13 PM   #92

Sarah,

I knew I would word that wrong. I wanted to know if you had the same photos with different brand lens on the same camera. 20D with say a great lens.... Canon etc. 24-135mm? Did I explain that ok? Where you asking me about the flash or Alleyooptroop?

Bob
no time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 5:37 PM   #93

Here you go Bob-

How is that for quick! I just shot those. regarding the flash, I was just attempting to get your imput. To me its a chance to save over $100 on the external flash, and I cannot find much differences between the two flashes.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 18, 2007, 5:53 PM   #94

Sarah-

Please run for president 08...LOL That was fast and I do not see much difference in the shot. Yes the price is much lower and the image seems to be the same. But I'm a rookie and what do I know. This is why I love this forum. I might order my len's before I get my camera!! LOL Thanks again Sarah.

Bob
Old Aug 18, 2007, 6:42 PM   #95

Bob-

I really do like the Tamron 24-135mm lens a lot. It is not an overly expensive lens, but it is the right focal length for the kind of shots that I like to take.

I have also included another photo take with that Opteka Flash using a diffuser sleeve. The more I use that flash the more I like it.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2007, 12:39 AM   #96

Sarah-

Sorry it took so long to respond. I went out for the evening. Where did you find the Opteka flash and diffuser sleeve? I will need one for sure.

Bob
Old Aug 19, 2007, 12:48 AM   #97

Bob-
The Opteka EF-600DG flash is available from either amazon or 47thStPhoto. The difusser sleeve was soething I had laying around, I am not quite sure where it came from.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:59 AM   #98

Hope I'm not hijacking here. This thread has been a great help. I find myself in a similar situation of deciding which DSLR camera and lenses to begin with. I'm in between the XTi and 30D (once the 40D comes out and the price of the 30D inevitably drops). Canon certainly has the best selection of lenses, esp ones that I would like to purchase.

On the issue of the camera, I've heard the XTi and the 30D are the same in terms of IQ. If this is true, I might opt for the cheaper XTi for its lower cost as I've held both and the plasticky feel doesnt bother me that much. I will probably base this decision more upon handling both cameras again in store and studying the operations/controls/functions more thoroughly. Can anyone speak to the IQ question though? Are they indeed the same in the IQ dept? Does the 30D have better high ISO peformance?

My bigger concern here on the camera is over the quality control issues mentioned earlier in the post. Surely it can't be that 3 out of 4 lenses from Canon are defective? I have read on other boards this might be an issue, and if buying into a system, it is a bit disconcerting if a lot of the lenses are defective. Can anyone shed some light on that?

To keep the lens discussion alive, right now my basic plan is to start with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, so QC wouldn't concern me there. However, I might also add the cheap but well liked Canon 50mm f/1.8 for its speed/ability to blur background. Then due to their huge cost, wait until Christmas rolls around and pick up either the Canon 24mm f/1.4 L or 35mm f/1.4 L. I usually prefer to shoot at wider angles in low light and LOVE bokeh. I am a bit concerned though, esp if I would ever drop over 1K on one of the L lenses, and then have a 75% chance it wouldnt work properly.

Also, is my lens purchasing plan foolish? It seems there may be a bit of redundancy in the focal lengths I am choosing to cover? The 50mm f/1.8 though seems like a no brainer at $80.

Thanks all in advance!

SoundDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 7:37 AM   #99

SoundDust wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone speak to the IQ question though? Are they indeed the same in the IQ dept? Does the 30D have better high ISO peformance?

My bigger concern here on the camera is over the quality control issues mentioned earlier in the post. Surely it can't be that 3 out of 4 lenses from Canon are defective?
Quote:
I am a bit concerned though, esp if I would ever drop over 1K on one of the L lenses, and then have a 75% chance it wouldnt work properly.

Also, is my lens purchasing plan foolish? It seems there may be a bit of redundancy in the focal lengths I am choosing to cover? The 50mm f/1.8 though seems like a no brainer at $80.

Thanks all in advance!
A few points to touch on here.

First, the IQ is pretty much the same on both cameras - so don't worry about that. High ISO performance is also the same - although the 30d does provide a boost to 3200. Other features like spot metering, 1/3 increment ISO adjustment and 5fps may or may not be useful to you.

On the lens front - sorry I still disagree with the notion that 75% of ANY manufacturer's lenses are bad. Canon doesn't have over 50% market share in DSLRs by making crappy lenses. But, really the same goes for Nikon, Pentax etc. No large company is going to have a QC problem that high and still be in business when there's competition. The quotes referenced earlier in this thread hardly provide a good statistical sampling. Let's see, one person buys 4 lenses. If 10,000 lenses were sold of that model - that's hardly representative of the model as a whole. Were they taken from different production batch runs? Who knows? If they were gotten from the same store - probably not. The concept that it's L lenses especially that suffer QC problems is laughable. Again, newspapers, photojournalists, sports shooters around the globe count on this gear to earn a living. They wouldn't be using it if it were problem plagued. In general with ANY camera gear you have to be careful regarding jumping to conclusions regarding problems based on a couple posts in forums. People unhappy with gear are going to make much more noise than people happy with gear. Now, I happen to have bought 2 L lenses (as well as a number of non-L canon lenses and a number of third party lenses) - and none of my canon lenses has had a problem.

Don't get me wrong here - I'm not rah, rah Canon all the time. I think some of their gear is way over priced. I think it's a joke they throw IS on a lens and charge $400 for the feature. I think you can get some great third party lenses that do the job quite well. In fact, two of my primary money making lenses are non canons (Sigma 120-300 2.8 and sigma 70-200 2.8). So, I don't have fanboy blinders on regarding the gear. There are a lot of valid criticisms of Canon but QC of their L lenses is far from a valid one.

As for your lens purchase plan - I think as long as you buy just the 17-50 and 50mm up front you should be OK. The reason being, after shooting with those for a while you may very well change your mind regarding what your next lenses will be. You have to be very careful selecting prime lenses - especially when laying out that much $$$. Not because of an imaginary QC issue but because by their nature they are not as flexible. So you want to be sure you are getting the appropriate focal length(s) for your needs. So even if you do have the extra cash off the bat I would advise against purchasing more than the 50mm prime until you get used to the first 2 lenses and figure out what your needs really are.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:11 AM   #100

John

You mention the two Sigma lens 120-300 2.
8 and 70-200 2.? Little smilly face in the way. What is the other number. thanks

Bob