Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 11, 2007, 3:01 PM   #11

alleyooptrop-

1. Yes, there is an all black version of the Canon XTi camera.

2. The lens used can make a real difference in how your large prints look at 16" X 20"

3. I have never felt limited by the Pentax K-100 and when using the Pentax 16-45mm lens, thins become tack sharp which equals better large prints.

4. If I was shooting shots that I knew were going to be 16" X 20" prints, I would turn the SR off and get my Pentax K100 (or any other camera, for that matter) on to a very good tripod.

PS That Pentax 50-200mm photo sample I posted was done with my DS model on a very overcast sky during our visit to Red Square in Moscow, just before the K100 came out with the SR feature.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 3:15 PM   #12

I HAVE A SONY H5 FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW, ITS EASY TO USE AND THE 12X OPTICAL ZOOM IS GREAT FOR A NEWBIE, I WAS USED TO A PENTAX WITH A 200MM ZOOM LENS. NOW IAM SHOPPING FOR A LARGER ZOOM TO TAKE MORE PHOTOS OF WILDLIFE, I TAKE 500-1000 PHOTOS A MONTH.
hutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 4:38 PM   #13

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...mp;btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...mp;btnG=Search

http://daystarvisions.com/Docs/Tuts/HowLarge/pg1.html
which has a table of mp to print sizes

also benjikam over on the Pentax board uses a K10D professionally. His work has enlarged quite nicely to 12 feet by 18 feet
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...french+fashion

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/MegaMyth.html

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 4:39 PM   #14

hutt-

A good number of birding folks have had great sucess with the Nikon D-40 and the Nikkor 70-300mmVR lens. Also the Pentax folks have had great results with the Pentax DSLR camera like the K100 and the K-10 with a much harder to find Pentax 300mm FA lens.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 11, 2007, 6:40 PM   #15

alleyooptroop wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the info tcav. i'll mostly be using the camera for family photos but hopefully with all the new tools at my disposal i'll be shooting other things.
I presume, then, that you're talking about a lot of indoor/low light shots. That means large aperture wide-angle lenses. That's Canon, Nikon and Pentax.

A very good lens in that category is the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (American Photo Editor's Choice for 2006), but it isn't available for the Pentax, and while it is available for the Nikon, it won't autofocus on the D40 or the D40x. (Nothing is ever easy.) It works without a hitch on Canon bodies, though.

The Tamron isn't the only choice, but it is a good one. And if you don't have anything, you have the luxury of shopping for lenses first, and buying the camera body that will fit the lenses you think you might get someday.

alleyooptroop wrote:
Quote:
i'm going to venture over to bel air camera or samys to see if they have examples of enlargements from different camera resolutions.
Good luck with that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 6:56 PM   #16

alleyooptroop-

Most Pentax users seem to agree that the Pentax 16-45mm lens is one of the best all around Pentax lenses. So that would certainly be a possibility to handle your wide angle duties rather nicely. It is one of the very sharpest Pentax zoom lenses out there in my opinion.

It is the lens that I previously mentioned to you during the discussion of making enlargements to 16" X 20." I have also attached a photo sample from the Pentax 16-45mm lens. It was taken inside without flash at ISO 800, those are pretty demading lighting conditions. Notice the sharpness of the photo, even at this reduced resolution.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:55 PM   #17

There are several options when it comes to Pentax mount lens and fast wide-angle/normal. Just my opinion, but it seems to me that for general family use the lens Sarah recommended would be the best value. It's got a very good reputation and while it's an f4 rather than a 2.8, it's a whole lot cheaper. Pentax also makes a 16-50 2.8 lens but it's quite expensive. There are a number of really fast prime lenses that are faster and have awesome quality, but you lose the flexibility of a zoom lens.

Just remember that as your lens gets faster, your depth of field gets smaller, so getting a really fast lens can have its downside, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:14 PM   #18

thanks to everyone for all the great advice. one other thing to get your opinions on. i found out that through work i can get a bit of a discount on olympus products. so it looks like the e-510 is also a possibility. i've read that it has a shake reduction feature on it much like the pentax. plus it's 10mp. would it be a better investment for me to go this route? would i more likely keep the 510 for longer?

also, my wife will be using the camera too but she has no desire to play with different settings which means she'll always be using the default auto setting all the time. which camera in your opinion will give the best results right out of the box with the included kit lens? just to reiterate which models i'm looking into, they are:

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Pentax K100D
Olympus E-410
and now the Olympus E-510

thanks again to evryone for the great comments
alleyooptroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:36 PM   #19

The Olumpus E-510 is a fine dSLR, and it does have 'sensor shift' shake reduction, like the Pentax and Sony.

Another advantage, it is smaller and lighter than the other dSLRs discussed herein, and since it uses a smaller sensor, for an equivalent field of view, the lenses are smaller and lighter as well. And paired with the Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5, it should work well for your indoor/low light stuff too.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:47 PM   #20

TCav-

i think i need a little more education on the smaller sensor. what are the advantages/disadvantages to the smaller sensor?
alleyooptroop is offline   Reply With Quote