Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 13, 2007, 7:54 PM   #41

i'm assuming that since it's factory refurbished they bring it up to "new" condition meaning they'll replace any parts that may not look new.

i'm curious as to how to get an additional 6 months from them. have you been able to do that in the past?
alleyooptroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:08 PM   #42

Yes, I have been able to get them to extend the contract by 3 months, giving you a total of 6 months. It all depends on how long they have had the camera and how bad they want to sell it. Have you checked B&H, and KEH as well? They are good sources as well.

In a factory refurb, they do an inspection, they do replace some parts, but the really expensive assemblies like the shutter module, they will overlook it due to it higher cost.

That was the reason that I asked about shutter actuations. The Canon 20D's, I have been told, are designed for 25,000 shutter actuations. And you probably guessed it, the shutter module is an expensive module.

I have had 2 Canon 20D's in the past five years. I like the camera a lot, but it is designed for heavy use, and the shutter is one of the wear points. Be a good bargainer, tell them you are a poor student, or a starving artist. Just remember anything is negotiable. I have been in this business for more than 50 years. You are really not asking for anything unreasonable. I wish you luck.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:20 PM   #43

yeah, i checked both. neither have the 20d. i'm glad i posted here though. i think i will keep shopping and get more input on the cameras i've been looking at. speaking of that, i'm now looking at the canon eos rebel xti. doesn't seem to jump out in front of any of the others in all the reviews i've read. can anyone give me an opinion? i thought the 10mp and the dust removal system were nice features.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:03 PM   #44

Canon has not produced a very pretty product in the 10mp XTi. After handling the camera, most folks have the impression that it feels rather "plasticy." The good news is that it is a very good performer with multiple upgrades from the XT model. In my opinion, the biggest improvement was the new focusing module. Sometimes irratic focusing when you least expected it, or wanted it was one of the lesser endearing qualities of the XT model. The XTi overcomes that problem nicely.

My new XTi arrived in perfect shape, but more than a few users have complained about under exposure problems, that required a trip back to Canon for re-calibration at no charge. Once that was done, those cameras performed perfectly.

There have been some complaints about the physical form factor of the XTi, but that is easy to remedy with a good battery grip, and then the complaints about the XTi's "pinched grip" seem to disappear. The XTi performs very well and it is easy to like. The camera's excellent performance, even for a rooky owner, soon builds a real confidence in this camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:24 AM   #45

sarah-

you're such a great resource! i'm glad you've had experience with some of the cameras i'm looking at. i had a chance to handle the xt and it too felt cheap. what's your favorite online shop that has a good mix of price and service?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:00 AM   #46

alleyooptroop wrote:
Quote:
sarah-

you're such a great resource! i'm glad you've had experience with some of the cameras i'm looking at. i had a chance to handle the xt and it too felt cheap. what's your favorite online shop that has a good mix of price and service?

Sarah is the bomb....LOL Thanks for all your input. Many others have chimed in as well. I'm following this thread because I'm in the same boat. Too many choices. The hunt goes on for the right canera.. Bob
no time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:22 PM   #47

alleyooptroop wrote:
Quote:
what's your favorite online shop that has a good mix of price and service?
There are several that are very reliable. I've heard good things about Adorama, though I'venever used them before. My personal favorite is B & H. They were the first ones that explained to me that my debit card might have a maximum amount per dayfor charges, regardless of how much money in the bank I had, and that they'd be perfectly willing to spread thecost of my orderonto 2 different cards (this was for my first digital camera, a Sony F717 something like 4 years ago) - now that's service!

Buydig/Beach Camera seems to be reliable, though their on-line inventory isn't necessarily up-to-date like B&H is. I once ordereda lens3 days before a rebate offer wasto run outbut didn't get a shipping confirmation within their specified order processing time. I sent them an email, to which they answered that mine was backordered. I emailed them againto cancel the order (the lens was in-stock at B&H)and they responded within 4 hours that it was cancelled.At no time was my credit card charged, so I was very happy with their service even though I never actually got anything from them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:29 PM   #48

thanks again to everyone for all the great advice. i think i've finally narrowed it down to:
- the nikon d40x
- the canon rebel xti (sd400)

there are pros and cons to both but i feel i will be happy with either. now it's time for voting :-)

p.s. i'm still contemplating buying a refurbished canon 20d. i'm planning on calling adorama to see if they will extend the 90 day warranty as sarah had suggested. cameta has one on ebay as well with a 1-year warranty but it's for the body only.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:34 PM   #49
Super Moderator

Personally I would go with the Canon (not because I'm a Canon user as both systems are great) mainly as it has in body motor for focus so you have a lot more options on lenses both by the manufacturer and 3rd party suppliers.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:03 PM   #50

Mark-

Normally speaking, I would agree with you, Mark. However, there has been an increasing number of folks who go ahead and order the Canon XTi and then the find:

(1) The grip is nothing at all like what they had expected!

(2) The XTi consistently under exposes images, thus needing a trip to Canon to recalibrate the camera. Yes, it is done at no charge, that is true. However, don't you think that when you order an almost $(US) 700.00 camera, that it should work properly right out of the box? Is that asking too much. I truly believe that Canon is loosing a great deal of consumer confidence by involving unsuspecting consumers it this several weeks long, and totally unecessary "fire drill" to get their XTi camera fit to take a decent photo.

Not all all Canon XTi cameras fall into that category, I would agree, but I just had a very good friend, this very week, who has had to return his XTi to Canon for recalibration. I sincerely believe that is unacceptable.

Sarah Joyce