Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:23 PM   #51
Super Moderator

I agree that Canon has a problem with some of their camerasalthough the people I know withone have been fine, however getting a bad one is not a good start as often this is a persons first experience of dSLRs.

That being said assuming that the grip is comfortable I would still go Canon. I would not advocate purchasing any tool of this sort of price without confirming that it is comfortable in the hand as it will hopefully spend a lot of time there creating work for us all to look at.

I still think the lens limitations are a big enough issue to be seriously considered.The other main thing that would makethedecision to the XTi would be9 AF points over the 3 of the D40x, on the flip side I like having spot metering so the D40x wins there.

It will never be a clear cut decision, if it was then one manufacturer would win in all casesso personal decision has to come into play but mine would just fall with the Canon.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:41 PM   #52

Mark-

That is exactly why I always urge prospective buyers to head toward their local camera shop and to actually hand these DSLR cameras in real time.

My Canon XTi only got away from its very "pinched grip" feeling when I added an accessory battery grip. I am incorrect, or shouldn't a good DSLR camera, like the Canon XTi,feel really good in hand without adding an almost $(US) 100.00acessory battery grip?

Canon has an excellent camera in the XTi model. I really like mine a lot. However, for the "newbie" buyer, it has become very much a hit or miss situation. they might get a good camera, but then (as you know so very well by reading such forums as the Canon DSLR (400/350/300) forum at www.dpreview.com) they might not get a good copy at all!

That is my big complaint about Canon's XTi model. The same thing did not happen with the 30D or the 5D. If they can do produce excellent cameras in the 30D and 5D model range, why not the XTi model? The folks purcahsing the Canon XTi today could be the same folks who will purchase a 40D or Mark I in the future.

Mark, please do not misinterpet this post. It is NOT YOUR FAULT at all! It is a problem with Canon.I just wish that they, Canon corporate,would address the very real problem.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:52 PM   #53
Super Moderator

Don't worry didn't think it was aimed at me :-)

If I was Canon I would have arranged for all current unsold stock to be checked and for sure all product leaving the factory to be fully sorted as there is a percentage of people with problems. Don't forget though there must be thousands of happy customers who just don't make a noise as they don't have a problem that needs to be shouted about. It's a difficult situation and the reason I buy 90% of my kit from a local supplier then if I get a problem I can take it back and shout lots (not really into shouting but you know what I mean). I had a noticeable focus problem on the 30D when I got it so had it switched straight out. I like to keep local shops in business as I really feel the benefit of speaking face to face and I usually get a price match or very similar to mail order so it works for me.

As for the comfort I've used the XTi and to me it's just a small camera but I'm 6'6" tall so a lot of cameras are small. I've not played with the D40x to see how that feels but guess it would still be small. I'm guessing you are quite a bit smaller than me so if you find it uncomfortable then Canon got it wrong but each to his (or her) own and Alleooptroop needs to play with both.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:30 PM   #54

Yes, indeed, Mark-

Iagree emphatically. Alleyooptroop should now head for his or her nearest camera retailer to physically handle all of the cameras on his or her "could be" list. Then and only then, can a logical decision be made by alleyooptroop.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:46 PM   #55

what stinks is belair camera and samy's camera (both near me in los angeles) have pretty good prices on the nikon kit, but the canon kit is a lot more at both places vs online. i was hoping to just buy from a physical shop. i guess i'll know for sure once i get to handle them both. i wonder if either place will price match?
alleyooptroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:59 PM   #56

Alleyooptroop-

We have really done our very best. It is now up to you to handle those cameras and to either make a deal, or to find a different internet supplier.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:26 PM   #57

alleyooptroop wrote:
Quote:
what stinks is belair camera and samy's camera (both near me in los angeles) have pretty good prices on the nikon kit, but the canon kit is a lot more at both places vs online. i was hoping to just buy from a physical shop. i guess i'll know for sure once i get to handle them both. i wonder if either place will price match?
I'll swim upstream and offer a much different viewpoint than what has been offered up till now.

I would go with the Nikon kit without hesitation over the XTi kit. Much has been stated about buying into a "system". Problem is that the Canon kit suffers because it has the worst kit lens supplied by any DSLR manufacturer. If the initial price is a factor, the Canon would, in my opinion, be the worst choice. The body is ok if you get a good one, but you WILL need to buy other glass unless you are satisfied with a f8 or f11 lens. The kit lens suffers if you open it up beyond that.

A few more things about the Canon system. The company seems to have quality control issues. Its not just the XTi under exposure issue. It goes through everything they make. Their top "L" series lenses are somewhat of a crap shoot in trying to get a good copy. While Mark may be able to return bad copies to the camera store (I'd guess he spends a couple of thousand a year there) how will they treat you?

I'd do the Nikon kit in a heartbeat. Certainly, check the lens availability as far as how you may see yourself upgrading. Keep in mind that these lenses are all freshly redesigned. If you see enough for future upgrades, it may be the best choice.

Greg

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:42 PM   #58

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
A few more things about the Canon system. The company seems to have quality control issues. Its not just the XTi under exposure issue. It goes through everything they make. Their top "L" series lenses are somewhat of a crap shoot in trying to get a good copy. While Mark may be able to return bad copies to the camera store (I'd guess he spends a couple of thousand a year there) how will they treat you?

Greg

I'll have to disagree on this point. I agree that the Nikon is also a good solution. And I agree the Canon kit lens is the worst of the lot. But you'll have a hard time finding any actual facts to back up this claim that Canon L lenses suffer from quality control issues. Perhaps you have personal experience buying/returning L lenses? Otherwise, the only time I've heard of any issues is with a newly released lens - which is common for many manufacturers. But to be honest Greg there is a very good reason why so many pros use canon L lenses. If they were the bug ridden lense you insinuate them to be then pros who make their living off their gear wouldn't be using them.

Again, not knocking the Nikon option at all - it's solid. But I'd have to say Greg's claims of poor quality in the Canon lens system are at best an over-exageration, at worst a complete fabrication.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:17 PM   #59

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Again, not knocking the Nikon option at all - it's solid. But I'd have to say Greg's claims of poor quality in the Canon lens system are at best an over-exaggeration, at worst a complete fabrication.

All quotes from http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 USM L IS:

"Two lenses have been tested - the first one showed a rather mediocre quality whereas the second one (its results are shown below) performed pretty much according to the "consensus". "
For the EF 16-35mm f/2.8 USM L:

"Two samples of the lens were tested during the recent months. The first one tested in late '05 showed slightly better figures at 35mm and slightly worse at 24mm. However, in the field the results were somewhat sub-standard under certain conditions so the lab results were not taken into account here despite a statement by the Canon Service that the lens was within specs. "[/i]

For the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 USM L IS:

"Two sample of this lens has been tested. The first sample performed quite poor and the 2nd sample did outperform its quality figures but not without problems. This 2nd sample has been tested once more after a calibration by the Canon service. "

And finally, for the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L:

"Well, I guess everybody has a nemesis and mine is the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L. It took me 4 (f-o-u-r) samples of the lens to get a good one - please note: "good", not a "great" sample. The first three variants showed rather hefty centering defects which spoiled the results quite a bit. "

This site has tested 16 "L" zoom lenses. Many fewer were the top of the line f2.8 series. 1 out of four zooms tested were bad. Thats horrid. Considering that it took ELEVEN tests to get these results (three finally ended up ok and Canon basically said "too bad, your stuck" on the fourth) indicates a quality control problem.

Canon has shown disreguard toward its consumers. They would be that last company I'd choose to do bussiness with UNLESS I was a pro that needed over 5 fps. Then its Nikon or Canon. I'd have to play the lens exchange game and opt Canon as they do top pro better than anyone. They DO NOT do consumer better in my opinion.

Enough fabrication and exaggeration

Greg

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:26 PM   #60

Understably, perhaps we each have our own agenda. However, the real challenge here is to serve our OP, alleyooptroop, as best as we can. He needs the very best camera solution that he can purchase. He is not getting much help in the LAX area either from Bel Aire Cameras or from Sammy's. So where do we go next, you are all professionals. Yep we have all been on this website for years. So, please think about it in detail. Even overnight, if you desire. But our new friend, alleyooptroop is depanding on each one of us.

This is the time for creative thinking, for innovation, for problem solving, for thinking outside of the box. You are all pro's, and i know that you can indeed create a totally new and truly innovative solution for aqlleyooptroop.

Can you agree that we will meet here tomorrow morning to put forth our very best thinking and our very best solutions? I will, and I hope that you will also join me to help out, our new friend, alleyooptroop.

Sarah Joyce