Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:43 PM   #71

alleyooptroop wrote:
Quote:
i kind of see this experience to be similar to when i bought my first motorcycle. at first, i was looking at smaller displacement bikes. i did the same thing i'm doing now - posted on a message board for opinions. some were saying to buy something small first, then others said get the biggest i was comfortable with. well, i went with the latter and never regretted it.
There is a VERY important difference between the two situations. With a DSLR you are buying into a SYSTEM not just a camera.

If you bought say a Yamaha motorcycle and 2 years later decided to buy a Harley you incur no penalty for going from one system to the other.

If you were buying a digicam, the analogy would apply fine. Buying a Nikon digicam today you incur no penalty by buying an Olympus digicam 3 years from now.

That's not the case with a DSLR. You will spend more money in lenses / flashes over a given time period than you will the camera body. Whatever you buy today, when you're looking for another purchase a year or two down the road - it likely won't be a new camera body it will be a new lens or flash. 3-4 years down the road when you want to replace the body you'll pay a huge penalty if you decide to switch camera systems as you'll have to sell off your gear and replace it with lenses/flashes in the new system.

I advise strongly against making a DSLR decision SOLELY upon what you want to buy now. Just be sure the SYSTEM you buy into supports your long term goals. It may be that all systems support your long term goals because those goals are pretty basic. That's perfectly fine. I just wanted to point out how this was different than buying your motorcycle. So, if you like Brand X system a little better than Brand Y, factor that into your decision.

Or, to carry this over to the motorcycle analogy. Imagine if when you bought your first bike it was a 4 year lease instead of a buy. At the end of that 4 year period you had to pay a penalty if you didn't lease another bike of that same brand. Would that factor in to which brand you initially bought? For some people - maybe not. For others it would.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:55 PM   #72
Super Moderator

I echo what John says and can speak from personal experience. When I bought my first dSLR I bought the one that would give me the best camera for my budget and what I wanted to do at the time...... problem is that was a bit of everything and I wasn't aware that I was going to get heavily into sports photography which for me meant a complete change to Canon and that was not a cheap thing to do as I needed new everything. It's worked out fine as I've sold a lot more of my work since making the change that I would not have been able to do on the old system but if I got it right first time I would be doing even better.

Now you could well be in the same boat as I was, thinking that general photography is all you want to in in which case I would still edge my bets with the 3 top systems which are IMHO Canon, Nikon and Pentax just behind but getting there with more 3rd party lenses coming out in Pentax mount so that is good news. I'm now getting into weddings as I want to my photography my full time career and sports won't cut it and I'm fortunate that Canon are the leaders in high ISO performance. Do take you time and get the system that you are going to last you well into the future and not just while you own this body.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:39 PM   #73

Alleyooptroop-

Well JohnG and Mark have given you very sound advise and I agree with them completely. The is NOT a decision like motorcycles. There are many downline items involved, that could make a change very expensive.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:40 PM   #74
Super Moderator

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Alleyooptroop-

Well JohnG and Mark have given you very sound advise and I agree with them completely. The is NOT a decision like motorcycles. There are many downline items involved, that could make a change very expensive.

Sarah Joyce
There is one good thing about cameras over motorcycles, they hurt a lot less when you fall off of them :-)
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:22 PM   #75

I do not want to hi jack this thread but, I did go to Ritz camera today and tried out the 30D Canon. I also put the 20 D right beside it. The lcd screen is bigger on the 30. I love that camera. It feels like a real camera. Hope that helps. I'm new to all this so any of you want to comment on the 30 as well would be great in another topic. Sorry to crash in.

Bob
no time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:38 PM   #76

Bob-

'Not to worry at all! We are all here to learn and share. Perhaps it is because the Canon 20D was my very first DSLR, that I really have a soft spot in my heart for the 20D.

However, one must be really aware of the fact that the 40D will most probably be announced sometime after 08/21. Does that make the 20D a bad camera, certainly not. But it is now going to become two generations old. My 8mp 20D still takes great photos.I for one. do not have to own the latest and the perhaps, the could be, ormaybe, the greatest camera. I just want great photos and my 20D continues to provide those photos quite happily for me.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:59 PM   #77

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Bob-

'Not to worry at all! We are all here to learn and share. Perhaps it is because the Canon 20D was my very first DSLR, that I really have a soft spot in my heart for the 20D.

However, one must be really aware of the fact that the 40D will most probably be announced sometime after 08/21. Does that make the 20D a bad camera, certainly not. But it is now going to become two generations old. My 8mp 20D still takes great photos. I for one. do not have to own the latest and the perhaps, the could be, or maybe, the greatest camera. I just want great photos and my 20D continues to provide those photos quite happily for me.

i'm with you Sarah. I got a good education today. I think the 30 looks like it will fit my budget and has alot to offer. I guess if my eye sight was better I would get the 20. I was thinking of getting just the body and add what lens I want. My biggest concern is wheather to buy at Ritz or go the internet. Ritz offers classes but, thay are real proud of there prices. LOL

Bob
Sarah Joyce
no time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:07 PM   #78

yeah, you're all right. i definitely want to be able to upgrade lenses and stick with the body as long as possible. so it seems like the canon would be the better way to go. btw, i didn't make it over to samy's at lunch so i'll have to try to make it over tomorrow.

there's a bunch of tamron lenses on ebay that seem to fit my budget. what are your opinions on them?
alleyooptroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:09 PM   #79
Super Moderator

alleyooptroop wrote:
Quote:
there's a bunch of tamron lenses on ebay that seem to fit my budget. what are your opinions on them?
Depends which lens, they have produced some pretty good ones. If you go to http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.htmlthere are some pretty good (but not definitive) review on lenses. I always take these as a guide but not the be all and end all so worth a look when considering lenses.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:58 PM   #80

alleyooptroop-

I went to e-bay and gave it a good look. Everything there is out of date stuff that is nothing that I would be bidding on any time soon. Let's solve the camera equation first, and then we wil deal with the lenses.

Right now, alleyooptroop, you have to focus on proceeding step by step through this problem that you created yourself. Honey, the camera body comes first, then and only then, we will deal with the lens equation. Please let's do this step by step.

Sarah Joyce