Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:45 PM   #81

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
alleyooptroop-

I went to e-bay and gave it a good look. Everything there is out of date stuff that is nothing that I would be bidding on any time soon. Let's solve the camera equation first, and then we wil deal with the lenses.

Right now, alleyooptroop, you have to focus on proceeding step by step through this problem that you created yourself. Honey, the camera body comes first, then and only then, we will deal with the lens equation. Please let's do this step by step.

Sarah Joyce
i love it! it's like my big sis is watching out for me!

i'd really love to find a 20d - new, refurb or used - that would be in my price range. it seems like adorama would be my safest bet but even then i'm not so sure. i still have to make it over to the camera shop to check out the d40x and the xti.
alleyooptroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:09 PM   #82

alleyooptroop-

The very best deal that you have showed us, providing you want to go somewhat higher in the food chain, is the 20D at Cameta Camera. The REAL NEXT STEP is for you to do the "Hands On" test. When that is done, we can once agin move a bit forward.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:42 PM   #83

HALLELUJAH! i'm now awaiting arrival of a canon 20d! here's the story.

so i went over to samy's and held, played with, shot with both the xti and the d40x. i definitely noticed the feeling in the build of the xti. it felt plastic-ey for lack of a better term. it still seemed like a nice camera though and because of the comments about buying into a "system" i think i had already made my mind up to go that route. the nikon was nice. build quality seemed a bit better. but the salesman mentioned (as a few of you had) the options for lenses would not be as great as with the canon. so i moved on to their used dept and saw that they had a 20d. maybe it was just psychological because of what i had read about the xti, but boy does the 20d feel more sturdy. it felt just as comfortable in my hands as the other 2 but seemed more solid.

as soon as i got home i checked cameta (as sarah had suggested) to see if they had any 20d's in stock. nothing came up and they were closed for the night so i called them early this morning. the csr (bill a. i think was his name) was very nice and helpful. he found me a refurbished 20d body for $749. he explained to me that it was a factory demo which means it might have been on display somewhere. it was then returned to canon to be "refreshed". it has a full 1-year canon warranty which is way better than what i had found at adorama or ebay.

i'm so relieved now. i feel like step one of my journey is done. thanks to everyone for all the opinions - especially sarah. now it's on to the lens. :sad:

last thing, where is the cheapest place to buy memory cards?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:22 PM   #84

alleyooptroop-

Congratulations on your new Canon 20D! I am sure that you will enjoy the camera a whole lot. I always go to www.pricegrabber.com and do a search for cheap CF cards. Unless you are shooting in Burst Mode, the cheapest CF card will work just fine.

When you are ready we will take on the lens search. Remember the type of photos you take will have a baring on your choice of lenses.

Have fun.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:30 PM   #85

Congrats Alleyooptroop!!! I had a feeling that was the model you were going to end up with. If you do not mind.... how much did it cost? You can pm if you want. I'm excited for you. Once you get your lens you will be on your way.
no time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:44 PM   #86

Bob-

Alleyooptroop paid $749 + shipping. That was a good deal considering that he also got a one year guarantee on it from Canon.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:51 PM   #87

Cool...I called them as well and there 30D new was $984.99 and refurb. $50.00 less. I'm trying to wait for the new release but, I have nothing to take photos right now.

Bob
Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:15 PM   #88

thanks guys. i'm pretty excited. will keep you all posted with my progress.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 2:12 PM   #89

Well, alleyooptroop-

We can't let you off this easy. I know the Canon 20D is enroute to you, but this is a good time to think about lenses that you might need, and a good external flash that will not break the bank.

I have attached two photos for you taken with my Canon 20D. Both were taken with an inexpensive Tamron 24-135mmthat I purchased on e-bay. The photo of my husband was taken using an Opteka EF-600DG flash that sells for $(US)119.95. It has full tilt and swivel capabilities, as well as an auto focus assist light that works with all of the Canon DSLR camera. It is just as powerful as a Canon EX430, and stands as an economical alternative.

Sarah Joyce

Old Aug 18, 2007, 4:38 PM   #90

Sarah, Question.... Do you have any of the same photos that you took that are of a different brand of the same 24-135mm lens? Maybe a sise by side if you could. I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on my d30 and I'm gathering info. for the lens now. Thank you

Bob