Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:26 PM   #1

hello everyone. it's been a while since I posted here, but last time was about my intent of buying a nikon d50. a few people, among which mr. mtclimber, gave me a few tips, I went for it and couldn't be more satisfied with it.

now I'm looking for a camera that'll be used by my girlfriend and her mother, mostly. they're both interested in photography and wouldn't mind a slr-like sized one, but they're not into it enough to dedicate budget for a slr. their budget is ideally around €200 and willing to go up to 300 tops if it's worth it. a current pick would be the fuji S5700 (=S700 in the US I think), which sells for about 200€ and, being a slr-like, would suit their creative needs almost all the times. the only minus I've seen so far is that its wider end is 38mm, not the 28mm they'd like better. she'd also appreciate some of the basic features I guess most of the cameras come with nowadays, like white balance override, manual settings, possibly A and S priorities. I've taken a look at the Samsung L74, which strikes me as a nice one, but I'm not quite sure it's worth it to downgrade to a compact from a bridge.

anyway, any impressions and suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:59 PM   #2

kezs-

Here is a suggestion based on what is happening in the camera market here in the USA. If you want some zoom, take a look at the Canon A-710IS with 6X of optical zoom, or the Canon S-3IS with 12Xoptial zoom. Both are excellent outdoor cameras and they have received bothexcellent professional reviews and wonderful user comments. Another new camera that has gotten good reviews and user comments is the Kodak Z-712 camera. It is a 7.1mp camera with 12X optical zoom and full IS. It is selling for around $(US) 230.00 here in the USA.

If you need a camera that does well in a low light level shooting environment, take a look at the Fuji F-20. Amazon here in the USA has a F-20 on sale right now at $(US) 149.00.

By the way I have also attached a photo of "Mr. Mt Climber" Taken with the Canon 710IS and a photo of my husband taken with the Canon S-3IS.Not to worry, no offence taken, and I am always happy to help.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 4:55 PM   #3

hello, sarah,

first and foremost, please excuse me for the "mr." there. at some point, actually when I was deciding between a bridge and a dslr, you posted a picture of that nice looking husband of yours (were those the same headphones? ) and for some reason I thought you were him. let me point out that the kindness you show in your posts shows as much as in your husband's face as in yours!

as for the cameras, thanks so much for the tips. they seem like really nice choices as well. the kodak z-712 would be my favorite specs wise, though apparently its longest exposure is just 1/2 a second? I wonder if that info (from b&h) is accurate, cause why would they make an advanced amateur camera like that with such a limitation? anyway, other than that, the canon s-3is would be my pick. nice focal lenght range as well. anyway, in a couple of weeks we'll be back in france, then we'll go to a shop and handle those 3 models (the 2 plus the fuji S5700) and decide then. that's always a good way to make the final decision

once again, mrs. mtclimber, thanks for your input!
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:53 PM   #4

The 1/2 sec. to 1/1000 sec. spec. is in any of the auto exposure modes except the night modes and shutter priority. With manual shutter settings and shutter priority the range is 8 sec. to 1/1000 sec.

Note on the highest shutter speed - both Z612 owners (me) and Z712 owners have reported seeing higher shutter speeds in auto-exposure modes faster than 1/1000 sec. A quick sample of the EXIF data for a few of my daylight action pictures showed shutter speeds like 1/1643. Our belief is that the 612/712 can set itself as quick as 1/2000 under the right conditions.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote