Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:16 AM   #1

Well, here's the situation. I used to have an old Exilm UltraCompact 2 megapixel camera. To be honest, it was already old when I got it, and it felt even older when I used it. Three years ago, I lost it somewhere, sometime, and I don't plan on looking for it again since it was already haveing problems when I lost it. Now I'm heading into a new enviroment which makes it impossible to share a camera with any of my relatives and my parents have finally decided to buy me a new camera. I've been looking around on almost every site that reviews or sells cameras, but I have yet to find one that seems compatible with my needs. I was going to go with a 7 or 8 pegapixel shooter from General Electric, but Steve doesn't seem to have a very high opinion of those. So I'm asking you guys for help.

I'm looking for something with the price range of around 100$ to 170$. I don't need anything fancy, and I don't expect any at this price range, but I do want it to look sleek and nice enough so I can bear to take it out in front of my more lucky friends, and take the best photos possible for it's price tag.

If you've been patient enough to read this far, then I'm thanking you already. This really means a lot to me, and I can't thing of anything else to say other than please and thank you.
Altus Sententia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:13 AM   #2

Stretch a bit and get the Canon A-570IS which is selling for $185 to 200 on the internet. You will have 7mp, 4X optical zoom and a lot of camera for the money. Take a look at it and tell me what you think.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:28 AM   #3

Apparently it sells for 180$ on Amazon.

And it looks awesome. High ratings on Cnet, even higher user ratings, 4.5 on Amazon. It's got all the bells and whistles too.

But apparently there is also no limit to the amount of money my parents are NOT willing to spend on my camera. For some reason they're also complaining that I've been looking for too long.

Anything with a slightly more appeasing pricetag?

Tons and tons of thanks though. Your effort shall not go unnoticed!
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:41 AM   #4

You can look at the Canon A-710IS, about the same features except it is smaller and has 6X optical zoom instead of the 4X optical zoom on the A-570IS.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:25 PM   #5

Canon A710 IS? That's....more expensive.

Thanks though.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:08 PM   #6

'Sorry I thought you were looking for a HIGHER pricetag. Nope, there is nothing below the Canon A-7570IS that has that much real value. Anthing below that represents a compromise.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:05 AM   #7

Hahaha, darn then. What kind of compromise?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:51 AM   #8

how about a canon A550? it's cheaper, and though it has no image stabilization, it's seems to have good videos and good pic quality as well as some other tasty features. and as i recall, it's around $129 at bhphoto.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:44 AM   #9

DEAR GOD! I think. I think this may be the one! One tiny thing though. Is there anything else with a sleeker form factor? It doesn't seem easy for such a camera to exist. If there are indeed no other choices, then I'll be happy with this one. I have a few weeks of time left to figure make a definite decision, so I don't want to push this too quickly. Thanks again.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:52 PM   #10

I'm looking for something similar - a good camera for about $150. I'm pretty much sold on the Canon Powershot a560 (better than the 550 for only $10 more) but I also would like something smaller. The Nikon L11 has gotten decent reviews but its low-light focusing seems to have problems and its macro function can't get closer than 6 inches. The Pentax E30 and Fuji A820 seem OK but the reviews I've read lead me to think that the Canon a560 is superior all around. But I'm still in the process of looking.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote