Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:45 PM   #1

So, I just bought a Nikon D40x after my Canon Powershot S1 IS died on me; not to get into too many details but it would cost over $300 to fix just the lens and there was more to it that needed repairing. So I went and read up on some of the new DSLRs namely the Nikon D40x, the Canon Rebel XTi, and the Olympus Evolt. I chose the Nikon because I don't really care for Canon after the problems I had with the Powershot, and I'm not sure about Olympus. I also liked the feel of the Nikon and the versatility of the lenses. The fact that it doesn't have an inner auto focus motor doesn't matter to me much, I like to manually focus which is something I missed on the Powershot.

However, after reading more reviews and taking time to think over it, more time than I allowed myself really, I'm wondering - should I have bought the Canon Rebel? There's virtually no difference in them except for the self-cleaning sensor and the 9 pountreference-thingy (here's where you see I'm still an amatuer)where as the Nikon only has a 3 point.

I am not going to be taking pictures as a career, but it is a hobby. I enjoy the quality of the images coming from the Nikon and while I do have an extended 4 year warranty which includes once a year cleanings is the Canon really better than the Nikon?

Most of the photography I take is candids, some scenery, city skylines, pets, wildlife, etc. Nothing really fantastic and I'm still learning much about composition and the like.

So really, which one is the better? I have 14 days to take back this camera. Is the Canon better or does the 9 point thing and the sensor cleaner really matter?

I really like the Nikon, I like the pictures, I like the feel of the camera, and well just about everything I like. I'm wary about Canon after my bad experience with the Powershot but if the Canon is better - should I reconsider my purchase?

Thanks for your time!
Scalpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:17 AM   #2

Scalpel-

The "9 point thingy" are the number of focusing points. Yes, the Nikon D-40X has three but that, at least for me, is not a big issue at all. The D-40X has full AF/AE with 40 current lenses and the number is increasing all the time. So, while you might love to manual focus, you won't have to do it very often.

The D-40X has available to it a great Nikon 55-200mmVR lens at a great price, something that Canon does not have at all with IS. In view of you projected uses, the D-40X sounds like a good match for you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:14 AM   #3

Scalpal,

My advice is to enjoy your camera. Don't waste energy on second guessing yourself - especially when it's over issues you may never encounter or care about. The good news is Nikon is an extremely stable DSLR producing company - they're not going anywhere. So if a few years down the road you find you've outgrown the D40 you can replace the body with another Nikon model that better fits your needs at that time. And you'll still be able to keep any lenses/flashes etc. you've bought up until that time. For now, just enjoy the camera and take pictures. Don't stress over the decision so much.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:44 PM   #4

Scalpel wrote:
Quote:
I chose the Nikon because I don't really care for Canon after the problems I had with the Powershot, and I'm not sure about Olympus. I also liked the feel of the Nikon and the versatility of the lenses. The fact that it doesn't have an inner auto focus motor doesn't matter to me much, I like to manually focus which is something I missed on the Powershot.

I really like the Nikon, I like the pictures, I like the feel of the camera, and well just about everything I like.
So go out and enjoy taking pictures with your new camera. These two paragraphs convince me that you've made an intelligent decision, the right one for you. Isn't that the most important thing - you love the camera and the pictures meet your expectations. That's the bottom line, the reason you bought the camera in the first place.

Having extra focus points isn't a big deal to me - I mostly use just the center one (past habits from a basic film SLR that I used for 25 years die hard). Dust removal isn't a big deal, no matter what camera you have you need to take some care when changing lenses (back to the wind, have second lens ready so you leave the camera open for a minimum of time).

So forget about the Canon and enjoy your Nikon.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:02 PM   #5

Enjoy your Nikon. Don't worry about built-in dust cleaning. You can get a bulb blower for dust cleaning. Extra focus points are nice but not an absolute must.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote