Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 14, 2007, 2:30 PM   #1

I'm kind of torn between the two cams, and it looks like the 30D takes a bit sharper pictures and has better performance features. With the imminent arrival of the 40D, I'm sure the 30D will drop in price. That said, what is the fix to a lack of sensor cleaning technology? Is there a work around for that, or is it better to drop a bit in performance to attain the anti dust feature of the XTi. I am more an amateur photog, but was playing with a friends 30D with 50mm 1.8 lens this weekend and fell in love with it.
SoundDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2007, 2:36 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The anti-dust feature is ridiculously overrated.

It is very easy to clean a sensor and takes no more than 10 minutes, in general I have not needed to do it more than once a quarter.

I mean really - it's easy to spend a couple of hours working on a single photograph, a few minutes a month on cleaning your camera is hardly onerous.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:57 PM   #3

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
The anti-dust feature is ridiculously overrated.
I agree from a labor standpoint. You still spend about $50 on cleaning kit though. And, I still haven't heard a claim from a reliable resource that the system works. And by reliable I mean this type of thing:

I had a Canon xxxD camera and had to clean my sensor X times a year. Now with the 400D after a year I haven't had to clean it once. It doesn't tell me anything if someone who has the 400d as their first DSLR has never cleaned the sensor - it may have nothing to do with the anti-dust - it may be the person - how often they change lenses, what their tolerance for dust is, etc.

But to peripatetic's point - IMO it's silly to make a purchase decision based on this feature. It really is a very minor feature.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 4:44 PM   #4

Just my opinion, but I think it's more important to take a few precautions when you change lenses - like put your back to the wind, have the new lens ready before you take the old one off (I use a two handed method where the camera is only exposed for a very brief time). I've had a K100 (no dust anti-dust technology) for a year and have had no problem with dust that a few puffs of a hand air-blower every so oftenhaven't taken care of. With that type of experience, I think the anti-dust features aren't that important.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:27 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I'm with the others on the anti dust feature, I have a 30D and have to clean it with an air blower a couple of times a year. I'm regularly changing lenses as it is my 2nd camera so is in my bag with no lens on so each time it is used I have to put a lens on, and will often change during a shoot. Go with the process described by mtngal and you should be fine.

A better question that needs to be answered to work out if the 30D is going to be better for you and worth the extra is what type of photography you want to use it for and also how the two cameras feel in your hand.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:24 PM   #6

Hi Mark, I looked at the 30D and I love it. I'm having trouble as to buy it at Ritz( close to my house $1399.00) or internet purchase without the classes that ritz provides. Any suggestions? What way did you go? What lens did you get with yours? I'm intrested in the same type of shots as you.. Sports. Thanks for your input mark.

Bob
no time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:36 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Glad you like it, but don't forget a camera and lens do not a sports photographer make, it's one of the most difficult areas of photography but if you are willing to put the time in then it is very rewarding.

As for lenses my main ones used in shooting sports are:

Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 EX HSM - my most used lens mainly for field sports and motorsports

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX HSM- my most used until I got the 120-300 and still great when I need to go a bit wider

Canon 85mm f1.8 - indoor sports from the sidelines where the 70-200mm f2.8 is not bright enough to get the shutter speeds

Sigma 10-20mm - super wide mainly used for extreme sports such as skateboarding/snowboarding where you can get up close and personal with the unique perspective the wide angle gives

I also make use other lenses but would not class them as specific for sports use.

I'm in the UK so not sure of pricing of these babies but the first one is going to set you back 2+ times the cost of a 30D with battery grip and the second is probably the same as the body.

Over here I always try to buy locally and I'm pretty well known at the main store in the area, the will often price match or get close and give the advice and service you just don't get from a box shifter.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:03 PM   #8

Thanks Mark that was real helpful. The man in the store said I needed to buy the lens that had a red sripe around the end of the lens. I believe these are the ones that are stable. Is this correct?

Bob
no time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:07 PM   #9

From everything I've read and seen, all sensor cleaning systems aside from the Olympus system simply don't work well. I really don't know why these other companies don't just package a rocket blower with the cameras.

Oly system does work. Its a nice feature, but nothing more than that.

Now for my question. How can you be intereseted in those two cameras. I would think holding each would make your choice. They feel so different in your hands. Take which feels right and run with it (after you pay for it of course).

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:11 PM   #10
Super Moderator

LOL, he is going to say that as it denotes the L grade lenses from Canon what are the top end pro kit.... I'm pleased to say I have 1 in my bag and it is good.

Just realised we are taking over another thread so might be worth starting a new one to get the info you need.