Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:15 PM   #1

Hi, (this is my first post)

For a while now i have been using a Canon EOS 4ooD as my camera of choice but ive come to realise that an SLR is not the sort of thing you can just pop in your carry on when going away.

So i have been looking at the Panasonic Lumix TZ3 as my secondary camera.

Can anyone here tell me if this is a camera worthy of its £250 price tag?
Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:53 PM   #2

Can't answer your question, but if you want to save some money and can do without the 10x zoom of the Panasonic, the Fuji F31fd is a bargain at the moment for £127 from Amazon. I've just got one and the noise at ISO1600 is not much worse than my Nikon D40, and the lens is very sharp corner to corner. Battery life is extremely good. You may not be satisfied with the image quality in low light of compacts other than the Fuji F series after using a 400D.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:06 PM   #3

Mr. Writer-

Iwas actually in the very same situation that you describe. I bought a Panasonic TZ-3 and I do not like the camera. I went ahead and purchased a Canon S-5IS and am very happy with it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 4:38 AM   #4

I have the TZ1 and it does great video at 843x460 with zoom. The TZ3 will not let you zoom for movies. 17min for 2 gig card. The sound is poor mono with the mic on top.

The TZ1 has a real noisy senser and way too much filtering so any time the light gets low your shots will start to look like paintings not pictures. The flash is weak too so it is not to good inside for larger groop shots.

The 10x zoom is nice but I with the noise you almost never want to look at a picture at 100%.

I would try the Fuji F31fd. With the lower noise it makes you can crop your shots and still have something left worth keeping. In anything but direct sunlight It should be better than the Panny.

ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 6:29 PM   #5

Mr Writer wrote:
Quote:

I would say yes, but only if you are willing to post-process the images afterwards. This is a great camera for a DSLR-type user who's used to tweeking everything.TZ3 filesaccept a good amount of levels, contrast andsharpening adjustments. If you work to get the images right later, you can wind up with some very nice stuff.

To me, it is not strictly a point, shoot and download device. If that's what you want, you need to look further.

Here are some images I just posted in another forum on this siteearlier this evening...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=8

The rest of my TZ3 images are here..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2900447#156043664

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:18 PM   #6

Mr Writer wrote:
Quote:
I think it's a bit overpriced if you consider you can have the FZ8 for less. But it's a very popular camera so I guess it's justified from the Panasonic POV.

Some of its features are unique amongst the numerous compact cameras. It certainly has the nicest wide angle 10x lens of the bunch.

The S5 mentioned is quite good but it's not truly pocketable.
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:46 PM   #7

Delius-

Keep in mind that the Panasonic FZ-8 still represents a very good value. It is probably a better value that the TZ-3. If you were to test those two cameras side by side, my bet would be on the FZ-8.

Out of doors you are fine. If you keep the ISO below 200 inside, it is still quite workable. Take a look at this photo. Taken inside at ISO 200. Yes the shutter was slow, I admit that. But can you duplicate or better it? I doubt it!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:32 AM   #8

The faster aperture of the FZ8 really works with subjects like that, and that's a great shot,but I'm starting to see some nicer indoor stuff with the TZ3vs. the point & shoot-and-download-anything on PBase you typically see with every point & shoot modelyou pull up on that site (including the TZ3),like the first of thetwo links below. In the end, if you have the capabilities, you can take good images with most any digicam today. Some models give you more options, longer lenses and/orfaster apertures, but if all you do is point & shoot with no ability to hand-hold at lower shutter speeds or process the files later to maximize their potential, you won't typically wind up with images like these..

http://www.pbase.com/sinc/british_museum

http://www.pbase.com/sinc/london_eye

..and if you're REALLY good, stuff like this..

http://photo.net/photodb/presentatio...tion_id=317651

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:05 AM   #9

Yes the FZ8 is probably a better overall camera than the TZ3 (faster lens, more controls) but the main attraction of the TZ3 vs the FZ8 is the wide angle AND the pocketability. This last point is probably why it's so successful. It has no competitor.
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote