Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:30 PM   #11

For what it's worth, Sarah, I don't read that at all when I read 1eyedear's message. They way I read the post is that we're all different and don't put too much weight into any single opinion. Don't decide you need a lot of focus points because johng says you do. Don't decide you only need 1 because Sarah says that's all she uses.

The way I read the post it is simply: there is no correct answer to the 'what camera shouold I buy' question. And that much of what makes a camera a good/bad fit is personalized.

I'm not sure why you interpreted this as an attack on your advice or your contributions. I certainly don't consider it a personal attack on me and like you I provided an opinion in this thread as well.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:41 PM   #12

1eyedeer wrote:
Quote:
Whatever current entry level DSLR you buy will take you to a higher level without spending a fortune. The difficulty for you is giving the correct weighting to the advice you are receiving. Just keep doing the research, listening to opinions, and try to judge what is important for you. A particular features may look good but be of no benefit to you.

Its the nitty gritty operational things that can be irritating, and you don't find them out until you've used the device, camera, whatever for some time. User opinions can highlight these limitationse.g, Amazon for equipment, TripAdvisor for hotels, etc. If I look at enough of them, I get a general feeling and often pick up a common shortcoming in design or performance, and form a opinion of level of satisfaction or dissatisfaction. Just another piece of advice to accept or ignore!
After reading what you have just stated it makes no sense why you even bother being on here since the sources you have sought to answer your questions could not be found here.

You have got to be kidding about Amazon.com for user opinions.

Glad you're here to straighten everyone out. No amount of what experienced users have shared here amounts to much according to you.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:14 PM   #13

JohnG and Viz-

I will surely take your posts into consideration. However, I still feel attacked. And I am willing to quit. Perhaps the time has come. Like it or not, we cannot go on day after day, month after month.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:56 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Come now Sarah,

If I had been of a mind to I could have regarded your post immediately following mine as a personal attack. But I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. And even if you did - so what?

This is just an internet forum where people of all skills, talents, abilities and intelligence or lack thereof can post. The great leveller.

If you post an honest opinion that disagrees with mine or dismisses it (as you did above) should I be offended at that?

There are plenty of genuine personal attacks to be found on all internet forums and this has had its fair share. 1eyedeer's post was certainly not in that category.

Many people here value your contribution tremendously, in the last few days there have been posts naming you specificallyfor special praise. Do those count for nothing compared to some (possible) slight?About which I agree with John, I see little in there to take offense at if you were not in a frame of mind to do so.

I agree with 1eyedeer - in internet landthe reader must sift through piles of rubbish to find the nuggets of wisdom (this forum is better than most, but still there is much rubbish written here - and I'm sure I've contributed my share). If you want the poster to listen to you 100% and take your word as gospel are you willing to offer recompense if your recommendation turns out not to suite perfectly? Of course not, that would require you to spend hours over each post instead of a couple of minutes.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:32 AM   #15

I was horrified to read your post Sarah when I came down this morning - you give excellent unbiased advice to many people and I rate it highly. Nothing was farther than the thoughts in my mind concerning criticism of your advice in this thread. In fact, I was agreeing with you completely, and I wrote my post and re-wrote it several times over an hour in order to avoid contention with all the other posters, who also give excellent advice. What I tried to avoid saying, (and you had already said something very similar), was that multiple focus points may have no importance now or in the future to the original OP, so don't get too concerned with this feature and overlook something that is more important to him/her.

Your experience is far greater than mine, and I only contribute when I think that there is something that I have learned that others who ask for help may benefit from. I try to avoid opinions but they always creep in. I'm opinionated enough to have offended many people in the past, and proud enough not to apologize because I know I'm right and they don't know what they are talking about! Not vey likeable characteristics on my part.

Again, my profuse apologies for causing unintended offence. And certainly don't stop posting - I have read many thanks from the people you have helped.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:20 PM   #16

Not to worry, 1eyedeer-

I appreciate everyones opinions. This forum is sometime like an abstract art show, we all look at the exhibit and probably come away with different impressions. So I know that there was no ill will intended. That is an important issue to me.So, we will move onward try to help these folks.

I apologize for over reacting, I am as much as fault I am sure. I thank my lucky stars that I am a part of a very fine group of posters in this forum.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:37 PM   #17

I'm glad this worked out. So many of the internet forums turn into mud slinging. It would be sad to lose you Sarah. Just the little time I have been on this forum I have learned so much. Not only from you but, from John G, Mark and others. Please cont. to post. This site is a blesing to me.:-):-)

Bob
no time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:57 PM   #18

Bob-

Thanks for your kind words. Based on his most recent post (this morning) I am sure that 1eyedeer intended not harm at all. He is a good person.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:32 PM   #19

I'm very relieved to see your post Sarah - I really tried hard not to contradict anyone elses opinion, especially yours on trying cameras and your satisfaction in most cases with central point focus. Like many others, I've learned a lot from posters like you and JohnG on this forum, and several others on the DPReview forum.

As a new convert to DSLR's, I'm biased because I chose one of the lowest cost camera to learn with and wasn't comfortable with a physically larger model. Many would be converts are naturally concerned that they may miss some essential capability with a lower cost model. I put in my tuppence (UK version of 2 cents), when it seems that there is too much "focus" on one aspect so that the OP is pushed to a more advanced camera than he or she needs. One of the exceptions of course is low light action shots, and JohnG for example identifies this need, and gives very precise advice and backs it up with great images. But from my limited experience and reading many user opionions, I still maintain that all the current entry level DSLR models provide great value and performance for a "newbie", so choosing the "wrong" model is not a catastrophe, but the "newbie"must do as much research as possible and make up their own mind what is important for their use. The variation in performance and cost of lenses is far greater than the differences betweenentry level DSLR bodies.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:37 PM   #20

Thank you all for your input on this matter. I will continue to research and with your feedback in mind, I know I will pick the right camera.
mikul93 is offline   Reply With Quote