Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:27 PM   #1

As my search continues... My earlier post (Let's Do DSLR), I'm on the move to try and weigh out a 30D and a 5D... When I was in, what is supposed to be a reputable, camera store they told me that the 30D will only take EF-S lenses. Is this true? Furthermore, and more importantly, if I was to purchase the 30D....build my glass up and up, then decide to go to a full frame sensor camera such as the 5D, would I have to start all over with the glass? Thanks to you all! You've been a great asset in my research.
Lokster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:01 PM   #2

Lokster-

That was good advice because Canon does make two lines of lenses. The EF series are actually smaller lenses that are specifically made for the small CMOS imager used in the Canon 300D, 350D, 400D, 20D and 30D.

For the cameras that utilize a full frame (24mm X 36mm)CMOS imager, a differentline of lenses are used. Therefore, if you intend to at some time in the future migrate to a FF camera, you should only be looking at FF lenses. The EF series lenseswill not work correctly on a FF camera.

I hope that is clear and that it helps you.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:05 PM   #3

Lokster wrote:
Quote:
When I was in, what is supposed to be a reputable, camera store they told me that the 30D will only take EF-S lenses. Is this true? Furthermore, and more importantly, if I was to purchase the 30D....build my glass up and up, then decide to go to a full frame sensor camera such as the 5D, would I have to start all over with the glass?
Actually, they don't know what they're talking about. This is a case of a little knowledge being dangerous.

A 30d will use BOTH EF and EF-S lenses. It uses the entire gambit of lenses. I have a 20d and have not a single EF-S lens.

The real key is that the 5d CANNOT use EF-S lenses.

So, what this means is: if you buy the 30D and think you may want to upgrade in the future to the 5d or even 1d series, you should place a strong emphasis on buying only lenses desiggned for full frame cameras. That way they'll work on any body.

I did this when I bought my 300D then when I had a 20D and bought more lenses I continued. NOw that I have a 1D, guess what? All my lenses still work.

So, Sarah - you have things reversed. EF lenses are full frame and work on all Canon bodieis. EF-S lenses are designed for only xxD and xxxD bodies.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:31 PM   #4

Thanks, JohnG-

I was in a hurry. I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote