Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:13 PM   #1

I am looking to buy a new camera because my old one has died on me. I previously had a Canon A70 and I have really enjoyed it and found that it took good pictures (for my needs anyway). I am looking forward to getting a new camera with more megapixels so that I can create better large prints. Since I had a good experience with my Canon I am leaning towards getting another Canon but I am open to other brands too. My main priorities are that it be somewhat compact(but not so small that it is difficult to hold steady) and that it has the ability to adjust the settings manually (focus, aperture, exposure, shutter, etc) as well asa fully automatic mode. It would be nice to be able to change lenses too but that is less important to me. In a few years when I feel like my photography skills have improved enough to warrant it, I will probably purchase a DSLR which is why I want the ability to shoot in manual mode on my compact camera (so I can improve my photography skills!). I don't want to buy the DSLR now though as I really want a camera that is convenient to take places with me (something that could fit inside my purse). My previous Canon A70 was compact enough for my needs but a little bit on the heavy side. At the moment I am leaning towards the Canon A710 IS which is similar to my old camera but with 7 Megapixels and a 6x zoom. It also has the image stabilization feature which sounds good. My main concern with the 710IS is that I've heard there is a long delay between flashes and that it is not the smallest or lightest camera around, but it does have the manual ability I am looking for and a bunch of other nice features (zoom, IS, etc).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good compact camerathat hasthe ability to shoot in manual mode? Any thoughts on whether the Canon A710IS is a good buy? The 710IS is a year old now; are there likely to be any new cameras on the market any time soon?

Thanks in advance for your help!

kiwiweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:34 PM   #2

kiwi-

I have the Canon A-710IS and like the camera a lot. However, it has been becoming quite hard to find lately and it has been increasing in price, as well. It is expected that Canon will announce a replacement camera for the A-710IS on or after 08/21.

So you might want to wait a bit and see what comes of the impending Canon announcement. There is still an A-710IS inventory on dealer shelves here in the USA. However, I read recently that the A-710IS is quite difficult to find in OZ.

Here is a photo sample that I took of my Canon S-5 this afternoon with the A-710IS.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip on the anticipated new Canon (I can definitely wait another week or two!). I have also noticed that the A710IS is not as widely available as other Canon models so that might explain it.

In the meantime, while I wait for a new camera announcement from Canon, are there anyother cameras (aside form the A710IS) that are recommended as a compact camera that still allows manual operation, or is the Canon A-series the way to go?

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:48 PM   #4

The Canon A-570IS camera has received really excellent professional reviews, and the user comments have been equally poitive. The A-570IS has the Digic III processor and it is very well thought of here in the USA. Here is a sample no flash, handheld, photo taken with the A570IS on a cruise ship.

I hope that helps.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:47 AM   #5

Thanks! I'll keep them both in mind then