Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2007, 9:01 AM   #11

Digital Ghost-

Is there a need to buy locally, in view of how they treat you? The Pentax K100D and the Pentax 50-200mm lens can be purchased on the internet for $(US) 100.00 to $(US) 125.00 less in price.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 2:58 PM   #12

Hi,

The K100D kit (with the 18-55 zoom lens) is available at

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...ku=PKK100D1855
for $447 - $50 rebate or $397 plus shipping - no tax - I have bought from them before http://www.resellerratings.com/store/BuyDig_Beachtr

The DA 50-200 zoom lens is available all over the place for about $240 or -50 rebate for about $200 plus tax
http://www.pricehead.com/searchlist....GOMTC=Standard

So for the body and the two lens before shipping but after rebates you have
$387 + $200 = $587 plus about a week of waiting and some shipping

SD memory cards are available all over the place also - here is a sample
http://www.flash-memory-store.com/secure-digital.html

for Batteries (4 AA come with the unit but last about 100 images) just use C3VR sets from the grocery store - they last for a good long while

... and junior colleges have very in-expensive extension classes on photography that might help!

... also slide on over the the Pentax and Pentax Lens forums - a very friendly bunch
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 4:42 PM   #13

I surely do agree with Interested Observer-

With the Pentax Summertime Rebates in effect until 09/30/07 this is a great time to save a an excellent camera like the K-100D with both the kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm lens. The deals just do not get better.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 18, 2007, 8:57 PM   #14

DigitalGhost wrote:
Quote:
Basically what I am looking for in a camera is the ability to take pictures of kids and dogs without having to worry about shutter lag, and the ability to make 11x14 and sometimes 20x30 prints (my mom has a habit of making EVERY photo into a 20x30 drives me bonkers).
Shutter lag is most often caused by autofocus time. While I own a Pentax myself, and think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I have seen a number of complaints from others of slow autofocus with the K _ D series cameras. If catching little ones moving around a lot is your main reason for wanting the camera, you might want to re-think, or do more research. In good light outside it should not make too much difference, but if the light is not good, or you are shooting indoors, the Canon Digital rebel would be a better choice, IMO. (now I will be stoned by the Pentax true believers)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 9:07 PM   #15

VT-

I sincerely think that the speed of focus in the Pentax K100D is influenced by the lighting level, the brightness of the lens and the focal length. I find that my Pentax 16-45mm lens focuses very quickly.

I also own and use Canon XT and it can be quite slow to focus, once agin dependent precisely on the same factors.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:59 PM   #16

No stoning from me. Actually the reason why I returned to this thread was for this reason. In Jan, I was able to pickup a 16-45 and I have used it quite a lot ever since. I also have an 18-55 and 50-200, which I have some filters for (daylight and polarization). I have been using the filters on the 18-55 and 50-200 and especially on the 18-55 have had some slow focus locks and thus shutter lag. Have no filters for the 16-45 and have really never had any lag. Now the other evening, I was doing some expirements (photos) with my wife's guinea pigs (indoors) using the 10-17 Fish Eye which is a great close up lens - but its f4. It was thinking a bit longer than usual in taking the image, poor light, even when focused, and possibly getting confused on the focal point (using the 11 point matrix) was probably why.

So, I really do not actually know what the issue is, although it seems to be more consistent with the filters, and poor lighting conditions.

That being said, you can always flip to manual focus and do away with the wiz bang computers and use the old eyeball. There is no really perfect item, the more complexity we put into a "system" the more things can deviate from the expected.

I will be the first one to say that there will be times when you go -uh, I do not understand why ___________ did or did not happen with the camera. They are all pretty complex instruments. With my old Spotmatic, you dropped in the film, set the asa speed, focused, selected the aperature, checked the light level and adjusted, pressed the shutter and it took the picture - good, bad or otherwise. It did not try to out think you, it just did it. These digital wonderlands of imaging do all of that and a hundred other things, before it decides to take the image after you give it permission by pushing the shutter release.

... hope this helps
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote