Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:38 PM   #1

It seems like a pretty nice compact camera. Its got a 1/1.8 sensor (packed with 10 MPs, but still larger than many cameras have). Its got a very nice screen, 2.5 inch with 232,000 pixels. It has shake reduction. Takes 30 FPS, 640 x 480movies. And it has full manual controls. What do you guys think of this camera?

Steve's review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...optio_a30.html
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:24 PM   #2

Contriver-

At the bottom line the A-30 is a re-do of the Pentax A-10 and A-20. It is better? Yes, it is, but only marginally so. if you can get it cheap, then that is fine. If you have to pay more than you expect, well then, my advice would be to pass it up.Pentax, truly a fine old name in camera history, just has not done very well with their P&S cameras

Sarah joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:23 AM   #3

Hey Sarah,
Thanks for the reply. Its a shame Pentax hasn't gotten it right with P&S, but I do give them credit for their persistance.

I am anxiously awaiting the end of August as I hear that some brands are expected to announce new additions to their lineups. I am hoping that Canon will have something to add to the A-Series lineup. I'd love to see an A5XX with a 230,000 pixel 2.5 inch screen :-)
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:46 AM   #4

Contriver-

The rumor on the street is that Canon will some time after 08/21 announce a new 40D to replace the existing 30D, a new A-720IS to replace the existing A-710IS and at least one more A series cameras.

Pentax who was just purchased by Hoya, has not been doing much with their P&S cameras. Their primary focus has been on their DSLR line. A K100D with the kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm lens can now be had for around $550 under the Summertime Rebate program.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:40 PM   #5

Thats interesting, I had no idea Pentax was purchased by Hoya. I'm not familiar with Hoya by the way. I think I have seen their name on filters and such, does that sound right?What is the general feeling on this buy-out? Do you think Pentax will keep up their momentum as far as budget dSLRs go?

I actually own a K100D. I purchased it forabout $500 with the 18-55 kit lens and I thought that was a pretty nice deal. I am still trying to decide if I want to own a dSLR or not. Itsreally is agreat camera, but I have learned that I don't have as much fun when I go out just for the solepurpose of shooting pictures. I like to take my Canon A520 with me when I hike and if I decide I want to shoot some pictures, I can when the mood strikes. If not, its no big deal since the A520 isrelatively compact and doesn't take up much space.

In any case, I would like a camera that has a bit better dynamic range and a higher resolution screen (for easier manual focusing) on the A520, yet has all the other features andand sizeit has. Thats why the specs on the Optio A30 look intriguing. I don't plan to make any decision until I hear that update on the Canon lineup
Old Aug 19, 2007, 1:01 AM   #6

Have you tried the a30? It is much faster than the a20 and resolves more detail than anything else I checked out in the 8-10mp ultra compact camera. Noise is not noticable until iso 400 and the shake reduction works very well (better than the a20).In the lastmonth Iused a sony t100, a nikon s7c, a canon a540, a casio ex-z750\850 and the pentax has the best image quality in daylight and almost matches the casio at night. When viewing the pics at 100% the pentax blows away the nikon and beats the sony. The a 30 is just a few dollars over 200 at buydig.com after rebate and at that price is the best deal out there bar none.Now, if one does not need a smaller camera there are better choices. The higher end modelscanon a series is a great examlple.Less compramises are madewith a larger camera. mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Contriver-

At the bottom line the A-30 is a re-do of the Pentax A-10 and A-20. It is better? Yes, it is, but only marginally so. if you can get it cheap, then that is fine. If you have to pay more than you expect, well then, my advice would be to pass it up.Pentax, truly a fine old name in camera history, just has not done very well with their P&S cameras

Sarah joyce
Attached Images

amicah22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 1:04 AM   #7

full pic
Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2007, 1:07 AM   #8

100% crop
Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2007, 1:08 AM   #9

100% crop
Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:27 AM   #10

Thanks for attaching some photo samples. Steve has done a review of the Pentax A-30 and it can be found here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...optio_a30.html

The camera is very small, it does have Pentax's own version of IS which they cal SR or shake reduction. It does not have an optical viewfinder, so you must rely on the LCD screen for framing your photos. The LCD screen does has a brightness increase mode to make outdoor framing more easy. The A-30 also has a face recognition feature.

To its credit, the A-30 uses a somewhat larger imager to reduce the noise produced by the 10mp output of the imager. However noise is visible in photos after ISO 100. Photos at ISO 800 are useable if kept to a small snapshot size of no more than 4" X 6". The flash range works well out to about 8 feet and then to get more flash range the ISO setting will have to be increased. The A-30 has a nice set of useable ISO ranges that can be user set.

Unfortunately, this is not a camera that adapts well to a low light level shooting environment like the Fuji F-series cameras. With the internet price range running between $(US) 250 to $(US) 300, this camera is certainly worth a good look. Buydig has it at $249.

Sarah Joyce