Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:03 PM   #1

Hello.

Very nice and informative forum. I did search and read many reviews but I can't really decide...

I've been using my Finepix 2650 for more than 5 years now, and it served me well, however this camera has 3 major drawbacks...

1. when using flash, two 2000mAh rechargables last for likr 15 photos....

2. it can make moves, but no sound and quality is shockingly bad...

3. all though outdoor/sunny day pics are of very decent quality, low light photos are reallybad - grainy, flash seems to have very limited range and creates white blobs, photos on cloudy day are too good either...

So I'm looking for replacment and i have decided on the following specifications:

1. i know that low light photos are always difficult, but surly some models are better than others in that department..

2. I really like to make movie flicks of decent quality with sound. i dont need them to be long, few mins os more than enough. ideally at 640x480x30fps with sound... I dont like quicktime format, but if i got no choice then that's ok. Now, what I noticed some manufacturers specify that particulat model can make movies with with that quality, but when I digg around I find that eg. 640x480x30fps can be done only without sound, and other limitations as such.

3. size/brand/type of card/etc doesnt matter

4. i dont need extensive manual controls, i use my digicams in point-n-shoot style, i'd like it to be as automatic as possible, but i'd like to have manual shutter speed, so I can make low level light photos off a tripod

5. good macro mode is preffered, but not essnetial. I often photograph electronic circuit board and all sorts of mechanical parts (often made of shiny alloys to be more difficult )

6. Price... as always the lower the better, I like the the idea of 'band for the buck' (aka 'value for money'), but if there is a particular model which siuts my requirements really well, I wouldnt be affraid to spend up to a USD$1k for it.

7. I do not rquire zoom. in years i owned cameras I find i dont use zoom much, if at all..

I realize that (1) would suggest a DSLR (like canon rebel for example), but as far as I'm aware no SLR will do any moveis, and without proper lens macro mode isn't good either...

Aswell, some models have this feature called image stabilization, and i think there are two types, optical and digital, not sure which one is better.

i've been kinda looking at fuji i think model is 6000fd, but no reviews i read comment on low light performance... and this model will do movies with sound only at 320x200 i think...

So yeah... as always, constructive feedback is welcome

Thanks in advance.

Matthew (mops)
mops81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:18 PM   #2

The S6000 will record video with sound at 640 x 480 pixels, 30 frames/sec. It will also permit zooming during video capture with a manual zoom ring. The low light performance is better than most megazooms. It has a good macro capability and has full manual control, including a manual focus ring. The 28mm wide angle is a nice touch too.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:56 PM   #3

The S6000 is much better than average for low light. Reviews:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...i_s6000fd.html
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms6000fd/

Learn to use higher ISO rather than increasing shutter speed for low light. When you are in light too low for handholding the aperture is all the way open in program or auto and giving you all the shutter speed available for that light. Setting a faster shutter will just give you dark pictures.

You might also look at the Fuji F40 since you don't need all that zoom.

Optical stabilization is good for low light photos unless your subject is moving. It also works well for movies. Digital stabilization seems to work for movies but isn't very good for photos.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 9:13 AM   #4

mops-

Based on your primary need for low light level photos, without much zoom, it would seem that the Fuji F-series will fit your needs nicely. As you mention no need for manual controls, as well as a need to keep the price as low as possible, you might want to look at the F-20, F-31, or F-40 models. The Fuji F-20 can be purchased from Amazon USA for $(US) 149.99.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 6:11 PM   #5

Hi.

Your feedback is much appreciated. I read few more reviews and decided to go with f6000fd. I bought is yesterday off ebay for US$330.

I hope it will serve me well for years to come

Thanks again.
Matthew (mops)
mops81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 6:13 PM   #6

mops-

Congratulations to you on your new camera. I am sure you will enjoy the Fuji S-6000 a lot.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote