Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2007, 2:39 PM   #1

I'm interested in a pocketable walk around camera, but I don't want to scrimp on image quality. I love a good sharp image.
I like the G7 but for its low light ability, price, and I think I could deal with the size ,but a little smaller wouldn't hurt.

I'm considering the a570IS, a710IS, SD1000, fuji F40 and panasonic although the last panasonic I held seemed to be plastic, at least not very solid.

I heard the A series is entry level, does that mean the SD have better image quality?

I really just want a camera that does everything perfectly :-)

Any suggestions, esperiences?
tia
rhendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2007, 3:03 PM   #2

Unfortunately there are precious few cameras on the market that can do everything well. DSLR cameras fall into that category, due to their interchangeable lenses.

In terms of point & shoot cameras, most folks acknowledge that the Canon A-710IS is "a poor man's G-7." And the Canon A-710IS is indeed a very good camera. Likewise, the Canon A-570IS is another excellent camera. However, it does not offer the 6X optical zoom found on the A-710IS and the G-7.

While the Canon A-710IS is capable of excellent night photos, it is not exceptionally adept in shooting low light level environment photos. That high ISO setting venue is the acknowledged venue of cameras like the Fuji F-40.

I have attached an A-710IS photo sample for your reference.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 5:47 PM   #3

Ria-

I mentioned the Pentax K100D, one of the current crop of consumer level DSLR cameras. With the Pentax Summertime Rebate Program, you can purchase the K-100 with the kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm lens for just around $540.

That will nicely cover a focal length of 28mm to 300mm in 35mm terms. Yes, it is double the cost of an A-710IS but it is a camera that can do just about everything as you requested.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 18, 2007, 6:04 PM   #4

I appreciate your response.
I guess I forgot to mention, I would want to use the movie feature.
The A710 is turning out to be hard to find.

I do have one little nagging question in my mind. What is the difference in the A
series and S series canon cameras?
rhendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 6:25 PM   #5

Ria-

The S-series camera tend to be all metal casing and are generally speaking smaller than the A-series cameras. Ichecked on 08/16 and www.buydig.com still had the A-710IS in stock.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:59 PM   #6

Sarah:

A little off topic but that's a really nice lighthouse picture. I like lighthousephotos almost as much as airplane photos.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:20 PM   #7

The new Canon A-650IS comes very close to a G-7 replacement. All it is lacking is the RAW format.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:12 AM   #8

AC-

The interesting thing is that the building in my photo is NOT a lighthouse, but a private home. The couple that own the home are big lighthouse fans as well, that is why they built their house to look like a light house.

Sarah Joyce