Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:34 AM   #11

Yes, I saw that after my last last post (in this thread). I can't wait for it to come out and start getting reviewed!
joyelyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 6:18 AM   #12

foxx_ wrote:
Quote:
What about the Canon Sx100IS ....just released by Canon on Aug 20th and selling for about $300 in the US.
At first look I thought they had the perfect TZ3 killer. Unfortunately they don't have the wide angle capability, very disapointing. Now it looks like more a cheap version of the S5.
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 6:31 AM   #13

Presume the S5 has the wide angle capability:-?

Foxx

A confused Camera Buyer:angry:
foxx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 8:33 AM   #14

foxx_ wrote:
Quote:
Presume the S5 has the wide angle capability:-?
No wide angle on the S5 either. That's the weak point with Canon it seems.

Wide angle is very useful, especially indoor where you cannot go back. Good luck to get all the family in one frame if you're stuck at 36mm ...

The only superzoom that are able to do wide angle (27-28mm) are the Olympus SP-550UZ and SP-560UZ, some Fuji and the upcoming Panasonic FZ18.

In the compacts superzoom, I only see the TZ2/TZ3. The SX100IS is not much better IMO than the old TZ1 which can be had for less than 160$ US.
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:25 PM   #15

Hey, I just thought I'd revive my old thread to say I finally got myself a new camera. I was able to extend the life of my S400 through he purchase of a new battery and wait until the new crop of Canons came out and made it to my local camera store.

So, the winner was...S5is. It was my true love. I just kept coming back to it. Through the last new months, I ended up looking at the Canon SD850, A570, A650, A720 and Sony H5 IRL. Frankly, the S5is was the most fun for me. I just enjoyed using it more. And that spoke volumes. I kept going back to visit it. I was very concerned about getting a camera that large, coming from such a tiny camera, but I decided it had to be done.

Things that won me over:
1. First and foremost, I didn't miss any shots! It was fast, faster than anything else I tried. I could just shoot and shoot, and there was never any delay. The autofocus should have been the same as the others, but for some reason, it seemed like taking the photo just happened way faster, before my two year old could look away or stop smiling.
2. Video mode! I can press and button andnot have to change mode. I can take a photo during a video. Stereo sound. So great when you just need to capute that great two year old moment.
3. Hot shoe. Not for now. But maybe for later.

But really, it just felt right. I'm into easy, so I probably won't take full advantage of this camera. I've forgotten most of what I learned in photography class, and life at mommy pace means my shots are often quick and dirty, not well laid out like I'd like. But still, it's nice to know that when (if) life calms down, it's all there for me.

I'm giddy.

Thanks again for all the help! Especially to Sarah Joyce, who helped me on numerous threads and in PMs. Totally buying your book!!!

Joy
joyelyse is offline   Reply With Quote