Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:47 AM   #11

I live in Gatineau Quebec...

The thing is I like my Elan 7 so much that I'm almost ready to wait a bit before getting a digicam. I could learn a bit about photography before making the jup. I have an S2 IS but I really do not like the lcd viewfiner idea.

I saw a 30D demo, no battery no lens for 900CAD at Bestbuy the other day. Not much of a bargain though I found. I'll take a crack at the 40D when it hits the shelf later this fall...Then I'll really be in trouble! ;-)
babanou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:46 PM   #12

babanou wrote:
Quote:
I live in Gatineau Quebec...

The thing is I like my Elan 7 so much that I'm almost ready to wait a bit before getting a digicam. I could learn a bit about photography before making the jup. I have an S2 IS but I really do not like the lcd viewfiner idea.

I saw a 30D demo, no battery no lens for 900CAD at Bestbuy the other day. Not much of a bargain though I found. I'll take a crack at the 40D when it hits the shelf later this fall...Then I'll really be in trouble! ;-)
I've definitely heard of Gatineau. Haven't had the pleasure of visiting yet.

The Elan 7...is that a SLR?

I've found it much easier to learnhow to take picturesusing my Sony DSC-H1 digicam. As you can shoot and shoot. Make your mistakes. Delete. And shoot again. Without the learning experience costing you anything but free time. Whereas, with film, you only hvae 36 exposures per roll. And you don't get immediate feedback. You need to drop off your roll at a developer, hope they are competent, and then pick it up. Living with your keepers and your mistakes. Unless you're willing to develop your film yourself. I found using SLR's discouraging. As a learning tool. From a cost perspective.

You have a S2 IS? It's supposed to be a decent digicam. I was surprised to read that you didn't like the LCD screen. I think that is one of the main features that attracts the average user (e.g. casual shooters, non-hobbyists who just want to have a digicam...etc.). I know that was one of the key features that first attracted me to buying my first digicam.

But to each his own.

As I said, I'm still waiting on Nikon to hopefully announce the replacement for their D200 in the coming weeks or months. But, I too am not in a hurry as I do have a digicam to sue.

$900.00 at BB for a demo? A $100.00 more and you can buy a new XTi. Or for around the same money or less a Nikon D40 or Pentax K10D. Kit lens included.

Any how good luck! Keep in touch.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:44 AM   #13

Gatineau is just across the river from Ottawa...

Elan 7 is SLR 35mm.

I agree that learning is a bit more expensive on 35mm that on digicam. When I bought the S2IS, I just wanted a digicam. Now I realize I'd like something a bit more precise. The focus speed and the viewfinder ( I was talking about the lcd in the viewfinder) are really sub-par compared to the Elan. Thus the interest in the 30D.

2 things I like though from the S2? With the little one, video is nice, and the swivel lcd is cool for "autopictures"...

babanou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:48 PM   #14

What a great way to start a new day. It's Thursday 12:45 AM as I type this.

Just as I booted up my laptop and visited one of the other photography websites I noticed Nikon had just announced 2 new DSLR cameras their D3 (their first full-frame camera replacing their current flagship model) and the camera I've been waiting for too (in addition to the Canon 40D). The Nikon D300 (which actually isn't replacing the D200 as Nikon is going to continue producing/selling the D200...go figure).

The Canon 40D will be available, they say, "early September". So we should see test reports by October. The Nikon D300 in November. So the reviews won't appear till December. Fine with me.

This is turning out to be a good year for digital photography.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote