Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:40 AM   #1

Hi guys,
I am looking at the 30D that I like quite a lot. I have an Elan 7 and I adore the feel (big and heavy) so the 30D is not such an unknowm.
I am wondering though if the 20 wouldn't be enough since there is quite a difference price wise. I don't think that the 30D is THAT much different.

Maybe wait until the 40D comes out and hope that the 30D drops a bit in price?

Let me know what you think...

Thanks.
babanou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:51 AM   #2

To my knowledge the 20D is no longer available new, only as a refurb or used. The 30D is the current camera and it is outstanding. Yes, it could be replaced in a few months or even tomorrow ... you can wait for the 40D, but then when it comes out you might as well wait for the 50D and then the 60D. Buy the 30D and start enjoying it now!

FWIW, Amazon may have jumped the gun: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-40D-10-1...dp/B000V5P90K/, but even if the camera is available tomorrow it will be several weeks to months before there is a sufficient quantity to easily purchase a 40D.

On edit, Amazon pulled the ad: however Bob Atkins has the same info:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...n_eos_40D.html
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:12 AM   #3

There are still a few 20D's out there for purchase on closeout. Obviously, they are few and far between and represent left-over stock. Can be a chance to get a good camera at a very good price, but you'd be two generations back in technology.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:42 AM   #4

I truly think that the case has been stated properly. The Canon 30D has been a very sucessful upgrade to the 20D model. It will replaced by the new 40D model which will have more mp and a slightly higher Burst Mode. However, it will also have a higher price.

There are still a few 20D cameras out there, and Canon has recalled all their demo 20D's and they are being sold as refurbished units for around $(US)750 to $(US) 850. Some of the larger retailershave featured the refurbished 20D camera with a full 1 year guarantee, making these units very attractive indeed, just as Coach has stated.

It will take a while to the new 40D cameras to become available, and it would be logical to expect to see a price reduction as well in the current 30D inventory, which will make those cameras attractic as well.

So if you have always wanted one of Canon's larger and more feature laden consumer level DSLR's, this is your chance to find a bargain. I have included a photo sample from the 20D for your reference.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 1:17 PM   #5

If it's new, get the 20D. The advantages of the 30d are minimal - larger LCD and 1/3 adjustment ISO. Not a whole lot more. I chose to stay with my 20D when the 30D came out and I don't think I missed out on a thing. The processor and sensor were the same between the models.

But, as you mentioned, you could wait until the 40D comes out and the 30D drops in price. But realize - even if it's announced in a week or two it could be another month or two before it hits the shelfs. So you may not see much of a drop in price on the 30d until it does come out - potentially October.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 5:03 PM   #6

Thanks all.

My plan was to wait a bit and go for the 30D late fall...I do not think I'll wait for the 40D to get it bit rather so it can push the 30D's price down...
Old Aug 20, 2007, 7:51 PM   #7

babanou wrote:
Quote:
Thanks all.

My plan was to wait a bit and go for the 30D late fall...I do not think I'll wait for the 40D to get it bit rather so it can push the 30D's price down...

Well, in case you're not already aware, Canon has today officially announced the 40D and it's specs. It's being covered by several other websites. One site mentioned that it will be available in September.As to whether there will be another price drop then remains to be seen.

The 30D is already selling at a very low price. Closeto what a XTi is being sold. So I doubt you're going to see the cost of a 30D drop any lower than it is now. And even if it does the drop will be inconsequential.

If you have your heart set on getting a 30D for a good price I'd get it now. If you're willing to shell out a few hundred more. Why not get the 40D?

I've been waiting on the 40D and now it's been offically announced. Now, all I'm waiting for are some reviews and for Nikon to announce their replacement for the D200 (and it's review). Then i'll make my choice.

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:23 PM   #8

Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:23 PM   #9

Funny as I was looking at the 40D specs and was licking my chops...As expected.

Looks like a nice blend between the XTI (technologically) and the 30D (physically).

I'll see where we're at in the fall...

Thx!

PS: any good place to look to buy from here in Canada?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:35 AM   #10

babanou wrote:
Quote:
Funny as I was looking at the 40D specs and was licking my chops...As expected.

Looks like a nice blend between the XTI (technologically) and the 30D (physically).

I'll see where we're at in the fall...

Thx!

PS: any good place to look to buy from here in Canada?
You're a Canuck? Where are you from?

As to "where to buy" in Canada? I would be buying locally. So that would mean from either Henry's (www.henrys.com) or www.vistek.ca. More Henry's as Vistek is a drive to downtown TO. Why bother if I don't have to? But Vistek is respectable.

You could take your chances with a Future Shop or Best Buy. They do have good exchange and return policies. Just that they are obviously not a camera shop. So their stock is limited. Especially if you need accessories.

The 40D only borrows the dust-removal system from the XTi. Which isn't a bad camera. If only they would give us a bigger grip. Something the size of the 30D and the 40D. But the 40D is obviously a much better camera. I'd rather spend the extra $400.00 CAD more.

Now I'm just waiting to see what Nikon is going to do in response. Their only new DSLR was the D40x. Which came out only a few months after they put the D40 to market. What were they thinking? Honestly I don't have that much faith in Nikon as a company. Their corporate thinking leaves a lot to be desired IMHO. But they still have managed some good DSLR cameras like the D200. Which in my opinion is the best non-professional DSLR on the market. Was better than the 30D for sure.

Now is it better than the 40D? Remains to be scene. But based on the listed features of the 40D it does have enough interesting enhancements to make me lean towards the 40D for now. The question is will Nikon give us the D200 replacement this year and what will it have? It wuld surprise me to see Nikon not come out with a D200x this year or any DSLR.

Canon has dropped bombs on the industry. First, being the first to market with a 10fps DSLR in the 1DM3, now announcing the long awaited 40D, the 1Ds Mark 3, the 12.1 MPG9 (finally with RAW support again) and a host of other new P&S cameras. I think it's safe to say this has been Canon's year.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote