Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2007, 4:56 PM   #1

I have put off my digital point and shoot (now called super-zoom?) purchase for way too long. It was going to be the Sony DSC-H2but the reviews said it was softer than the Canon. With Canon's new S5out, Dell dropped the S3 to $296.

I was going to get it. Then I was going to adda ScanDisk2 gig UltraII SD card (CostCo $30). Amazon had the Canon lens adapter LAH-DC20 for under $30 (or do I want someone elses replacement?). Can you reccomendthe best4AA battery/charger kit ? Also,does a particular brandpolarizing filter perform better? Good source for these? Is 52mm 'right' for that Canon kit??

Thank you much; mahalo nui loa.

Mystery Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2007, 6:14 PM   #2

Bob-

The Canon S-3IS is down to around $280, you can do a www.pricegrabber.com price check anytime you desire to find the lowest price. Please be sure to check the reseller ratings to insure the quality of the vendor.

A price scan can also find the best price on SD chips or cards as well. As far as lens adapter goesthe Canon one that you mentioned from Canon that Amazon is selling is made of plastic. A more substantial lens adapter is available from Lensmate in finely machined and color matching aluminum from Lensmate (I use the Lensmate 58mm adapter tube)for only a few dollars more.

I have personally found the Sanyo brand Eneloop batteries or Ray-o-vac Hybrid batteries to work very well with my Canon S-3IS. They come charged and hold their charge for months at a time, making them very deoendable.

As far as filters go look for filters that are optically coated for higher performance. Yes, you can find filters that are cheaper, but the will also have poor optical performance.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 9:07 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Bob- The Canon S-3IS is down to around $280, you can do a http://www.pricegrabber.com price check anytime you desire to find the lowest price. Please be sure to check the reseller ratings to insure the quality of the vendor.
A price scan can also find the best price on SD chips or cards as well. As far as lens adapter goesthe Canon one that you mentioned from Canon that Amazon is selling is made of plastic. A more substantial lens adapter is available from Lensmate in finely machined and color matching aluminum from Lensmate (I use the Lensmate 58mm adapter tube)for only a few dollars more.
I have personally found the Sanyo brand Eneloop batteries or Ray-o-vac Hybrid batteries to work very well with my Canon S-3IS. They come charged and hold their charge for months at a time, making them very deoendable.
As far as filters go look for filters that are optically coated for higher performance. Yes, you can find filters that are cheaper, but the will also have poor optical performance. Sarah Joyce
Quote:
Sarah, I've added price grabber to my list of favorites. The reseller rating tip is also a good reminder. I think I'll go for the Lensmate aluminum adapter. Do you use the colapsing rubber lens hood Lensmate offers, Canon's or ? Does the lens hood screw into the polarizing filter which then screws into the adapter? 58mm filters cost more. What is the advantage of the larger filter? I will go for the optical coated filters and the batteries you had success using. Thank you very much; mahalo nui loa
Quote:
Mystery Bob is offline   Reply With Quote