Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:45 PM   #11

Looked through your album - neat pictures!

One thing I noticed is that you like wide angle shots, another area where the Oly's smaller sensor would work against you (I, on the other hand, who rarely does anything wide angle would appreciate the extra "distance" you get on the long end of lenses). There's a lot to like with the Oly system, but it's just not for everyone (no camera is, by the way).

If I had to choose betweenJUST those packages posted, I'd definitely go for the Samsung (and not just becauseI'm a happy Pentax K10 owner). The main reason I'd go that route is the dual lenses you'd get with the Samsung, the kit lens is quite nice as is the 50-200. It's the only package you list that would cover what I consider the most used range for lenses, plus you would have several options for adding something wider later on (I've been debating betweentwo wide angle lenses that Pentax makes recently, a 10-17 and a 12-24).

If you had a bigger budget to cover a VR lens or two, and due to the fact that your daughter has a D50, I'd be really tempted by the D80 over the Samsung- the reasons why you decided against the D40 hold true for the D40X; like you, I wouldn't go that route. My budget just can't take that big of a hit unless you want to give me the winning numbers for Wednesday's lottery!

The other thing that was mentioned before - go handle all of your choices. The best camera in the world won't do you any good if it is too heavy/too small/uncomfortable or you otherwise don't like using it for some reason. The cameras listed are all different weights and sizes so you are bound to like some more than others.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:39 PM   #12

mtngal-

Makes a good point in her post. I would first look at Samsung, and before deciding I would also look at the Nikon range as well, and then choose. I happen to like the D-40, though I realize that I am the exception. There are now over 40 lenses available for the D-40. The D-40 with the kit lens and the Nikon 55-200mmVR lens is a great combination. Beyond that I would look to the D-80.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:39 PM   #13

Thanks

Last edited by ron519098; Sep 10, 2010 at 5:04 AM.
ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:22 AM   #14

Anyway, many thanks to all who provided advice. It was much appreciated.

Last edited by ron519098; Sep 10, 2010 at 5:04 AM.
ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote