Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:40 AM   #1

I have

Last edited by ron519098; Sep 10, 2010 at 6:02 AM.
ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:11 AM   #2

on519098 wrote:
Quote:
The Olympus is a complete unknown to me. I'm not sure about the four thirds system they use. Would it lock me into a format that has limited support?

What are the benefits of Olympus ownership?
Four-thirds format is the only from-the-ground-up digital system. Whether that's a benefit can be debated. I use it and like it a lot. The aspect ratio is different, of course, 4:3 versus 3:2 for the others. The Olympus has better kit lenses, and the E-410 you're looking at has the only effective dust-removal system, and I believe the only pixel-mapping system, and the only liveview of any of the cameras you mention. It's also the smallest and lightest-weight of all, if you don't want to lug around a brick. On the other hand, the E-510 is just a bit larger than the E-410 and has all the 410's features plus internal image stabilization. The other benefit of the system as a whole is the fact that it's a smaller lighter system (bodies/lenses) especially at the telephoto lengths, and while not all the lenses are cheapies, those made by Olympus, at least, are uniformly very good to excellent, with superior edge-to-edge sharpness. Those by Sigma are a mixed bag, as are Sigmas lenses for other formats. All the mid-range Olympus lenses are weather sealed (currently the only weather-sealed body is the E-1, but the E-3 is scheduled for this fall).

How does your daughter like the Nikon? If you buy into that system at least you can share lenses.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:29 AM   #3

Interesting.

Last edited by ron519098; Sep 10, 2010 at 6:03 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:11 AM   #4

Of of the big things to decide is how important image stabilization is to you, and what ultimately you want to spend on a photography hobby. Stabilization is very important to me, since I'm not as steady as I used to be - you are the only one who can answer that question. My need for IS and my limited budget knocks Nikon and Canon out of the running for me - there's no way I can afford their expensive VR lenses. For the others -

If I were seriously looking at the Oly system, I'd want the 510. As I understand things (and believe me, I'm no expert) the Oly cameras use a smaller sensor and therefore, would have greater depth of field than a Pentax, Nikon etc. camera given the same focal length/aperture settings. For some people that would be a disadvantage (can't use focus as easilyto isolate a subject as well), while to others it would be an advantage (don't have to be as accurate with your focus).

There are many people out there that have the Sony and love it, but I found the sample pictures to have more noise than the Pentax.

I have the Pentax K10 and have been completly satisified with the pictures I take, the lenses I have and the lenses I want to buy when my budget finally allows me to.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:32 AM   #5

mtngal

Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:50 AM   #6
NHL

If you're into wildlife or birding the Oly 2x crop factor is also a big plus, and like Norm in Fujino has mentioned before the weight factor is also in favor of the OLY since you can have a very long lens @ the least weight (and minimum cost)!!!

-> With long lens the DOF is not a big deal since it is quite shallow already... even when stopped down
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:30 AM   #7

I really believe that NHL raises a very valid point-

Both our choice of DSLR cameras and our choice of lenses to go on that DSLR camera has a great deal to do with the kind of photos that we like to take and our own personal preferences. It is very much like purchasing an auto.

Every one of the consumer level DSLR cameras and their associated lenses are excellent in terms of photo output. Yes, the ergonomics might be different and the features might be different, but, none the less, they are all high quality cameras.

Perhaps this is the time for a bit of introspection and really analyzing what kind of photos you really like a lot, and determining what features that you really use day in and day out. After doing that, then make your decision.

For more than a few of us, there is also the constraint of budget. Currently here in the USA there is a large Pentax Summertime Savings Rebate Program, that has really made an impact. After all it is you who are going to be using the DSLR all the time, not any one of us posting here in this forum.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:06 PM   #8

I guess

Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:25 PM   #9

Ron-

That is a just the kind of good review that I was speaking of in my post. Can I ask what brands of DSLR cameras does the department store covered by your voucher carry?

What I draw from your most recent post is that a well featured DSLR camera with some type of IS and an excellent wide angle lens would be a very good beginning point. With that premise as our starting point, you can surely stay within your 500 pound sterling budget. I began with Pentax Spotmatics, so I tend to look first at Pentax followed by Nikon.

Where does your search begin?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:02 PM   #10

Sarah

Last edited by ron519098; Sep 10, 2010 at 6:04 AM.