Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:12 PM   #11

alikat75 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for the model types, I will definately check those out as well.* I know that the canon S5 has a hot shoe, do the Panasonic's have them as well?* What type of external flash should I use; a bounce or a fill?* I'd like to get all my accessories at once.* I'll be purchasing extra batteries, mem. cards and all.* I know some places offer bundles so that would help alot.* you have all been very nice and I appreciate your help!
Only the FZ50 (or the FZ30 if you can find a used one) has a dedicated TTL hot-shoe. If the camera doesn't have a hot shoe you can still use a slave flash as Sarah showed.

Beware that choosing the right flash can be almost as difficult as choosing the right camera... and the price can vary from as low as 30$ to as high as 500$ and much more... so you really need to know why you need it.
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:44 PM   #12

alikat-

I will start looking for that Vivitar DF-200 Flash for you. Phoenix also makes one called the D-92-BZS, and I will look for that one too.

Here is what the Canon S-5 flash setup looks like. The flash used is the Opteka EF-600DG. It is an excellent flash with full tilt and full swivel. I got mine from Amazon and it cost $119.95. Considering what it does, it is in my opinion a great value.

I am really not too fired up by the Pansonic FZ cameras. I have had a whole bunch of them, the latest being the FZ-7. In my book the Canon S-3 or S-5 is the better choice. But that is just my opinion.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:56 PM   #13

Sarah, thank you for taking the time to look up that information! I wrote down the name and model # of that flash in the pic. The price is good, so I will look for it. I must say I'm leaning towards the Canon simply because I have yet to be to a retailer who had a panasonic. i have held and played w/the canon's and have found them comfortable and the menus are easy to navigate. I have read Steve's reviews for both the S3 and S5. They both seem like good cameras. Would the extra megapixels on the S5 be of any use for 4x6 and 5x7's? Thanks again!
alikat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:21 PM   #14

alikat-

I sincerely think that the S-3 is the better choice. Yes, I have a S-5 but the difference in minimal. I will be returning the S-5 this afternoon to Amazon. Perhaps it is just me, but I would just as soon save the money, and find that slave flash, or get the extra SD card etc.

It seemslike there is always some accessory that you really want.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:33 PM   #15

Quote:
I must say I'm leaning towards the Canon simply because I have yet to be to a retailer who had a panasonic.* i have held and played w/the canon's and have found them comfortable and the menus are easy to navigate.
You cannot go wrong with the Canon but that being said the FZ50 is truly a superior camera to the S5, and the FZ8 is almost as good as the S5 but cost much less... I'm surprised you don't find them in your stores.

The ergonomics on the Panasonic are very good and maybe even better than the Canon IMO. Maybe you should take a little time comparing the features of each camera. Some features maybe more interesting to you, for example the Canon has easier and better video features while the FZ50 would have better image quality (Leica lens, bigger sensor) and have much better manual controls (manual mechanically linked zoom ring, manual focus ring).

Another nice camera that could be a bargain if you can still find it is the S3, it only lacks the hot shoe and the LCD is not as nice as the S5, but otherwise it's quite similar.
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 5:53 PM   #16

Thanks to all of you who responded! I will be calling area stores and will try the FZ's if i can find them. As you stated, I want to be able to hold them and flip through the menus first. Again, Thank you all!
alikat75 is offline   Reply With Quote