Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:05 PM   #1

Yes, I know , another question about what to buy, but any help would be great! I need a digicam (P&S or entry-level DSLR) to take photos of my son in football and daughter in soccer, vacation pics and general pics of family and friends. I have went to different stores and always get different answers. The salespeople usually try to push the DSLR. I don't know if it's worth the investment for me.

I'd like to have:

1. Good zoom (to get the shots of the kids)

2. Least shutter lag possible

3. abitlity to print 4x6 or 5x7's

I have looked at Canon and Nikon (2 brands that i feel comfortable with) and the pricing and ffeatures seem to be quite similar. Again, any advice would be appreciated!
alikat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:42 PM   #2

alkicat-

If these shots are out of doors, you could get by with an ultrazoom like the Canon S-3. If we are speaking of low light level shooting at night games and inside gymnasiums, the the choice must be a consumer level DSLR with a very bright lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:46 PM   #3

Thanks Sarah! The photos would be outdoors. Will the Canon also serve my needs for everyday pics of the kids and vacations? Some shots would be indoors (X-Mas, B-Days) , so would this camera work well for those situations as well?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:28 PM   #4

alikat75 wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I know , another question about what to buy, but any help would be great!* I need a digicam (P&S or entry-level DSLR) to take photos of my son in football and daughter in soccer, vacation pics and general pics of family and friends.* I have went to different stores and always get different answers.* The salespeople usually try to push the DSLR.* I don't know if it's worth the investment for me.

I'd like to have:

1.* Good zoom (to get the shots of the kids)

2.* Least shutter lag possible

3.* abitlity to print 4x6 or 5x7's

I have looked at Canon and Nikon (2 brands that i feel comfortable with) and the pricing and ffeatures seem to be quite similar.* Again, any advice would be appreciated!
1. Good zoom is difficult to have on a dSLR at a decent price. So an ultrazoom like the Canon S-series or the Panasonic FZ-series might be a better choice.

2. dSLR have less shutter lag. But with a little training you can overcome the lag (which is more LCD lag than shutter lag) on compacts like the Panasonic FZ series.

3. Fortunately, about any camera on the market is able to do 4x6 and 5x7 with enough resolution.

I think you should start with an ultrazoom and see later if you need more. A dSLR is better but it's more expensive and has some drawbacks too (no video, bigger, no "live view" in the LCD except for the Olympus DSLR).
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:38 PM   #5

Are there any specific Panasonic models you suggest I look at? I know you said FZ, but when I went to CC, they said it had been discontinued ( not sure of model) so I wasn't able to try it. To overcome the shutter lag, should I use shutter priority for my outdoor action shots or the ISO ?Thank you!
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:46 PM   #6

alikat-

Yes, a camera such as the S-2, the S-3, and the S-5 will be fine indoors if you use an external flash. The S-3 is bargain priced right now. Most folks do not want to spend the extra bucks for the S-5 which has a hot shoe. I also have a S-5 flash solution, but I am going to admit that you are probably going to go for the S-3.

Because, IMHO the built-in flash on the S-2, S-3, and S-5 is pretty under powered for family gatherings and the like, I simply use a slave flash like the one shown in the attached photo. I found this Vivitar DF-200 on e-bay and it has a full tilt and swivel capability for just $25. The camera's built in flash acts as a "trigger" for the slave flash and you get really nice lighting. I hope that helps.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:58 PM   #7

alikat75 wrote:
Quote:
Are there any specific Panasonic models you suggest I look at?* I know you said FZ, but when I went to CC, they said it had been discontinued ( not sure of model) so I wasn't able to try it.* To overcome the shutter lag, should I use shutter priority for my outdoor action shots or the ISO ?*Thank you!
There is 3 current FZ:

The smaller FZ8 (12x zoom, 7mp) and the bigger FZ50 (12x zoom, 10mp).
Then there will be the FZ18 in september (18x zoom! 8mp).

The best is the FZ50. But you should go to a store and handle them in your hand to see what fits you better.

The FZ50 is arguably the best non-DSLR for now. The Canon S5IS comes close but it has a smaller sensor and thus a slightly less good image quality. The FZ5 and S5 have a flip screen, very handy for candid shots.

The FZ8 is what I have right now and it's so small, it's almost pocketable, very important if you like to carry your camera everywhere. Taking sport pictures is very easy outdoor. Indoor, any non-DLSR will struggle unless you have a very powerful external flash.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:04 PM   #8

Oh BTW when they say it's discontinued, it usually means they don't carry it. For some reasons, some stores will not carry a line or a brand of cameras. They will usually BS you to not loose a potential customer.

Currently the best ultrazooms are the Panasonic and Canon offerings.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:05 PM   #9

Thank you for the model types, I will definately check those out as well. I know that the canon S5 has a hot shoe, do the Panasonic's have them as well? What type of external flash should I use; a bounce or a fill? I'd like to get all my accessories at once. I'll be purchasing extra batteries, mem. cards and all. I know some places offer bundles so that would help alot. you have all been very nice and I appreciate your help! One more quick question. is it better to buy your digicam from a brick and mortor store or online? online prices seem to be better, but I wounder about returns, exchanges, that sort of thing! Thanks for the info.! i thought they just didn't make that camera any more! I'll do a bit better research before I walk in the store on exactly what I want.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:07 PM   #10

Hi sarah, do you have any link for this flash? I didn't find it on ebay.