Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:42 PM   #21

Thank you very much mtngal for your demonstration.

Now I find a bit difficult to compare noise because your subjects are to be mostly drawings. They sure outperform the FZ8 (would be a pity if not!).

Now I have a small question for those who have experience with a DSLR. In burst mode, do the cameras refocus between shots? For example my FZ8 is able to do very fast bursts (for a compact, 2-3fps) but the Focus and the Metering is locked (not to mention the LCD freezing) so that the burst is not that useful IMHO. I cannot find a confirmation that a DSLR is doing it differently so I have to ask.

Also is continuous shooting with the flash possible?
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:51 PM   #22

Delius wrote:
Quote:
In burst mode, do the cameras refocus between shots? For example my FZ8 is able to do very fast bursts (for a compact, 2-3fps) but the Focus and the Metering is locked (not to mention the LCD freezing) so that the burst is not that useful IMHO. I cannot find a confirmation that a DSLR is doing it differently so I have to ask.

Also is continuous shooting with the flash possible?
It depends on the focus mode selected. Most current crop of DSLRs have the two functions separate. You can do burst with or without constant re-focus. But not all cameras perform this operation as well as others. ANd it isn't something that is usually included in reviews (i.e. the accuracy of servo focus). Most reviews speak only to single shot focus and don't test servo focusing speed/accuracy.

Continuous shooting with flash is possible but not practical. The problem is it takes the flash longer to recharge than the burst rate of the camera. For those that really need this feature, they use an external flash with a separate battery pack (most flashes don't have this capability - only the higher end tend to have it). Even with a good external flash and good AA batteries the refresh rate on most flashes isn't that great. Depending on how much flash power you're using you can get off 2 shots mayybe 3. Using the internal flash on a DSLR though I'm not aware of any that recycle fast enough to get off multiple shots at proper exposure.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 4:15 PM   #23

JohnG wrote:
It depends on the focus mode selected.* Most current crop of DSLRs have the two functions separate.* You can do burst with or without constant re-focus.* But not all cameras perform this operation as well as others.* ANd it isn't something that is usually included in reviews (i.e. the accuracy of servo focus).* Most reviews speak only to single shot focus and don't test servo focusing speed/accuracy.
[/quote]

Do you know any review that would test this speed? And amongst the entry-level DSLR which one are ok and which one are bad for that kind of shooting?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 4:19 PM   #24

JohnG wrote:
It depends on the focus mode selected.* Most current crop of DSLRs have the two functions separate.* You can do burst with or without constant re-focus.* But not all cameras perform this operation as well as others.* ANd it isn't something that is usually included in reviews (i.e. the accuracy of servo focus).* Most reviews speak only to single shot focus and don't test servo focusing speed/accuracy.
[/quote]

Do you know any review that would test this speed? And amongst the entry-level DSLR which one are ok and which one are bad for that kind of shooting?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 5:07 PM   #25

It's not so much a matter of speed as it is accuracy. Speed is a small part of the equation. For instance, a camera rated at 3fps will get 3fps if it doesn't have to do anything. But if focus hunts a bit it may take 3.2 or 3.3 or 3.5 seconds to get those 3 frames. Every camera will post the fps. But I don't know of any reviewer that does a test of how well the servo function tracks a moving subject.

But this may not even be an issue for you. What is it you plan on shooting?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 9:43 PM   #26

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
But this may not even be an issue for you.* What is it you plan on shooting?
Kids
Old Aug 23, 2007, 7:37 AM   #27

Delius,

It depends on what they're doing. The biggest challenge is going to be if they are all out running. Here are the things that cause servo focusing problems:

Subject running directly towards / away from you

Quick changes in direction (this latter because part of servo focusing is the camera predicting where the subject will be - when the subject quickly changes direction this causes the camera to miss it's guess).

Any DSLR will be a quantum leap above your digicam experience in this regard. If you plan on shooting your kids in sports, Canon and Nikon have the best systems for action photography - they control about 99% of the professional sports shooting market and the technology has trickled down (to a degree) to their consumer DSLRs. If you just want general shots of your kids, as long as you have the appropriate lens any current DSLR from any of the manufacturers will meet your needs.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:28 AM   #28

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Subject running directly towards / away from you
It's usually what I cannot do with my FZ8. Other things are relatively easy unless I use more zoom. My FZ8 is already very fast (for a compact) but I wonder how much faster will be a DSLR in that regard. Not that I will be doing only this kind of pictures. Maybe it will be a non-issue after all.

For now I'm leaning towards the Sony Alpha since it seems difficult to find the K10D at a good price in my part of the world (Montreal Canada).
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:32 AM   #29

I'd like to combine two subjects that have been raised here, independently.

A number of people have pointed out the advantage of using flash for indoor/low-light shots, and since I have always been an available light photographer, I defer to their collective experience.

You mentioned burst mode with regard toa camera's ability to refocus between shots, and my experience does not differ from the opinions already expressed here, so I had nothing more to contribute.

But if you intend to combine the two, flash and burst mode, then you'll bump into a limitation of flash, and that is refresh times of 3 to 5 seconds (or more, depending on the flash and the condition of the batteries.) In that situation, burst mode is out.Ifyou want burst mode indoors,I'm inclined to reiterate my suggestion of a fast lens in the best light you can arrange.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:38 AM   #30

Great point TCav,

Or put another way - just because you want to do something doesn't necessarily mean it's possible or feasible. Use a flash and you have recycle times and can't do burst shooting (unless you get into the whole battery pack thing). Use fast primes and you're at higher ISOs, have shallow dof and may still not be able to stop motion blur. There comes a point where what you want to do just might not be possible or feasible (i.e. you could always install a ceiling full of lights to solve the problem but you probably don't want to do that).

Great point!!