Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which Camera would you buy?
Canon A570IS 0 0%
Canon Powershot S5 1 50.00%
Nikon D40 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:13 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,

Somewhat of a continuation of my previous thread but have narrowed it down to two cameras - the Nikon D40 or the Canon S5. Price delta is about $170 -the s5 goes for around $500 whereas the Nikon goes for about $670 (with a lens). Key criterion that I'm looking for (not in order of priority is):

1) Easy to use

2) Ability to take "good" pictures indoors where there is often not very good light.

3) The ability to zoom -to take close up nature style pictures

4) Good reproduction of photos for printing 8 by 10 photos that will be sold to clients (and posted on a website)

5) Will also be using the camera for travel.

I don't have an unlimited budget - had first started looking at the A570 but found it may not be enough and would end up replacing it in short order.

Which one would you go with and why?

Foxx
foxx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:48 PM   #2

If you are going to get the Canon, I would recommend also getting an external flash to use with it, as its high ISO performance is not strong compared to the Fuji. It would still probably be less than the Nikon and would be a bit more convenient for travel. The difference is to get the range you have in the Canon you would need a few lenses for the Nikon to cover the same focal range (I think, havent researched Nikon lenses), so you would bear more expense down the road most likely.
SoundDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:32 PM   #3

foxx-

The Nikon D-40 is a good choice and it can more effectively handle the priorities that you have laid down. By purchasing the D-40 kit and the Nikkor 55-200mmVR lens, you could cover a focal length of 28mm to 300mm (in 35mm terms).

That gives you a nice wide angle, which the S-5IS does not have, but not quite as much reach at the far end of the telphotoas the S-5IS.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:36 PM   #4

Foxx,

I've owned the S2 for 2 years and just bought an S5 so you see my bias. From your described criteria I think the S5 would be a good fit BUT I totally agree with SoundDust about the external flash. The S series has a definite weakness at Low Light indoor stuff with just the onboard flash.

Other than that, the S5 does just about everything you describe and does it well.

With all that said, I know nothing about the D40 except that when I looked at DSLRs I came down to the Olympus E-510. Then I bought the S5 for half.

Good luck

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 4:52 AM   #5

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the insights.

The more I think about it -the more I am trending to the Super Zoom probably the S5. I'd like to get the S3 but the only place that I've seen it sold is in the States. When I do the math -factor in currency exchange/taxes/shipping I am about $50 away from the S5 - so I might as well go for the S5. In terms of the DSLRs - although I could spend about $300 more -it's a slippery slope. And, for a base cost of about $800 (CDN) for a DSLR (body + kit lens) -it's a little bit beyond what I wanted to spend. Although, a DSLR would probably serve me longer term - I thought a Super Zoom would allow me to"cut my teeth" on photography for a few years and then once I am a little bit more sophisticated I would then migrate to a DSLR. By that time -the technology that is in the "higher end" DSLRs would have migrated down to the entry level DSLRs. So it looks like it's going to be the Canon S5:-D

Foxx

A still confused Digital Camera Shopper:?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:00 AM   #6

foxx_ wrote:
Quote:
Somewhat of a continuation of my previous thread but have narrowed it down to two cameras - the Nikon D40 or the Canon S5.
I think this is like asking if I would buy a Chrysler Grand Caravan minivan or a Ford F150 pickup truck. The S5 can do some things well and many things adequately, but the D40 can do many things well with the appropriate lenses and accessories.

foxx_ wrote:
Quote:
I don't have an unlimited budget ...
Then get the S5. Or get the D40 and add to it later.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:34 AM   #7

foxx-

As long as flash can be used the S-5 can handle all the chores.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:08 PM   #8

Bye.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:24 PM   #9

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
foxx-

As long as flash can be used the S-5 can handle all the chores.

Sarah Joyce
I agree with Sarah! Good luck!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote