Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:55 AM   #11

I agree with the many folks who have pointed out that a dSLR will get better pictures than any digicam, and be able to get pictures that digicams simply cannot get if you have the dSLR with you. Tie a brick to a neck strap and walk about with it for the better part of a day to get an idea of what a dSLR feels like: two bricks might be a better aproximation if you want to shoot with a 300mm+ lens. Simply put, you are going to leave the dSLR at home many times when you would take a shirt-pocket sized digicam. The county fair, a walk in the woods, ...

I am not arguing that you should get a digicam instead of a dSLR. I am arguing that it will not be a waste of money to get a compact digicam as well as a dSLR.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 9:06 AM   #12

Thanks to all who have responded here, I appreciate your insight.

NO, I am not the person being depended upon to take photos for our high school marching band; I'm taking photos for my family of my godson who will be drum major and is also a percussionist. Since I'm also in pit crew, I'll be field level.

CORRECT, I have no clue:?about any of it, that's why I'm here looking for your expertise :-)

On further reflection, I do not want to be lugging something around too heavy since I am responsible for getting our instruments on the field and would have to either leave the camera unattended or strapped on me, bouncing all over the place.

I'm looking to grow from and into and if that means purchasing a simple P&S and working my way up, so be it, but also willing to looking into "High-End, Advanced Digital Cameras" as TCav suggested.

Keep the input coming and many many thanks!
Juanita19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 9:23 AM   #13

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
I am not arguing that you should get a digicam instead of a dSLR. I am arguing that it will not be a waste of money to get a compact digicam as well as a dSLR.
I absolutely agree.

The "other half" of my story is, now that my daughter is in college, it's impossible to get a DSLR into the stadium. The school's policy (actually, the conference policy as a whole at every stadium) is that no "professional cameras" are to be allowed in, with the definition of 'Professional cameras" being ANYTHING that allows interchangeable lenses, so I have pretty much written off any chance of being able to get good, closeup images of her performing on the field. All the better that I took advantage of the ease of access you have at the high school level. Things change dramaticallyat the next level, especially at a Division 1 college.

The one image above of her college band was taken at an out-of-conference game where I was able to get my DSLR in, but not the long lens.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:58 AM   #14

Juanita-

I agree with Bill Drew. A consumer level DSLR with a digicam companion is a good idea. They each have their place and they can both offer good experience and learning.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 1:24 PM   #15

Hi All,

Coudn't resist giving my two cents as I'm sort of in the same boat as the OP - am in the market and relatively newbie although I've owned a P & S for five years I would still say I am a total newbie.

I totally disagree with people that have said that you need a DSLR. As someone said that's like jumping into the deep end. You realy have to examine what you are really looking for in a camera (stating the obvious ) But, if I were you and dependent on your budget - I think either a mid range P & S or either a Super Zoom P & S would allow you to cut your teeth on photography. Then in a few years if you outgrow it you can always migrate to a DSLR. Needing a DSLR right now is like needing a ferrari when a chev might just do the trick.

Foxx
foxx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 1:42 PM   #16

foxx_ wrote:
Quote:
I totally disagree with people that have said that you need a DSLR. As someone said that's like jumping into the deep end. You realy have to examine what you are really
Foxx,

The stated need was band competitions (primarily). They are often at night as well as day. The combination means you need good reach and excellent high ISO performance. That is the reason I and others indicated a DSLR was the better route. Any real-world telephoto exammples I've seen from superzooms in low light don't really come close to stacking up. Now, if all the band work was going to be done during the day I would completely agree - a superzoom would fit the bill very nicely. I'm always happy to change my opinion though - I just haven't yet seen photographic evidence that a digicam can pull off the shots (night time under the lights marching band - where the band member isn't 5 feet from you). If they are 5 feet away - that again is different.

But you are right - there is a cost associated with a DSLR - in money, weight, size etc. Learning curve - not as much as you might expect. For this type of shot you'll have to take the digicam out of auto mode anyway. Whether you adjust ISO and aperture on a digicam or DSLR - it's the same complexity. In fact, the DSLR is often easier as ISO adjustment can be done outside the menu system - many digicams require you to use the menu system.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 1:46 PM   #17

I am a newbie who has been out of photography for 15 years. Here is a good site to read about cameras and lenses:

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/2007-05-what-camera.htm

I have had my share of P&S and now I want to get creative..... again. I came up with the Nikon D40 and the 18-200 lense. That would be an overall good combo. If I can't find a body only, I'll get the kit lense and the 55-200 combo. To get "action" shots, I recommend a DLSR, however, I will continue to use a P&S at times. It is easy to get caught up in megapixels and such..... be careful of that. Some retail stores even doctor up pictures to "prove" the megapixel bunk. Once you understand it.... it is kind of humerous. Again, I am no expert but any expert on here would not debunk what I have said hopefully. G'luck!

setsail98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:50 PM   #18

setsail-

Ken Rockwell is OK, but you must understand that he is propelled by the profit motive, so he too has some biases.

I don't believe that Nikon USA is selling the D-40 body only. If you see it offered anywhere, it is more than likely a "grey market" D-40, and Nikon USA would refuse to provide any warranty service on the camera in the USA.

At least the camera that I received was a "grey market" D-40. Thankfully, I worked out an exchange with the retailer. So there was a happy ending to it.

That is just my experience.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 22, 2007, 4:23 PM   #19

Yes Sarah, he is quite biased but he is a good read. I made my decision on the D40 based on my own skills and needs prior to reading his site. For $200 less than the DX, the 40 is a wonderful starter DSLR. It is indeed sold as a body only but every major retailer in the US sells it in kit form only according to Nikon. I have posted my own post asking if anyone knows where a body can be purchased. Body only in Canada cost the same as one with a lense?!?!?
setsail98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 4:32 PM   #20

setsail-

I have noticed that people get the kit, then they e-bay the kit lens, sometimes getting as much as $79 for it. So there is a possible solution.

Sarah Joyce