Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1

I have decided to purchase the nikon D40 ( maybe 40x). I have checked several websites and amphotoworld.com has the best price. has anyone delt with them before? Any suggestions on where to purchase? Online is at least 150.00 cheaper than going brick and morter. Also, Is the pixel difference between the D40 and the D40x enough to make it worth the extra money? I don't want to have to immediately go out and purchase another lens, so I would be doing extensive cropping on some images. Thanks!
alikat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:53 PM   #2
Administrator

alikat75 wrote:
Quote:
I have checked several websites and amphotoworld.com has the best price.
That's your first mistake (trying to figure out the dealer with the best price by looking at advertised prices on the internet). ;-)

Make sure to read the customer reviews for that vendor here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1988.html

Then, you may want to spend some time reading this article (and compare the article to the customer reviews you see for that vendor). ;-)

How to buy a Digital Camera without being robbed

BTW, Nikon USA will refuse to service a gray market camera (one that was not intended for the country you live in), even if you are willing to pay them for the service.

Try these vendors:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

http://www.buydig.com

If a price looks too good to be true...

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:58 PM   #3

I have been reading reviews by customers and some seem to be mixed. I merely mentioned amphotowrld.com because , as I stated, brick and morter stores are much more expensive. I could put that extra cash towards a new lens. Thank you for the two web sites , i will check them and their customerr ratings, return policies, etc. Any help on the 40 or the 40x? Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:18 PM   #4
Administrator

Make sure the vendor you use is reputable and is an Authorized Nikon Dealer.

Most of the cheaper prices you see are from scam artists selling gray market gear that Nikon will refuse to service. Also, by the time you pay for the extras at ridiculous prices (batteries, memory cards, shipping charges, etc.), you could get a Nikon USA warrantied camera from a reputable dealer anyway, and if you don't buy the extras, you may not get the camera at the advertised price. There is going to be a catch. I'd suggest avoiding the Brooklyn based scammers.

As for cropping, you can't crop as much as you think you can, depending how the print sizes needed.

Spend the money on a longer lens if you need one. If you crop a photo to make it look like you used twice as much optical zoom, you'll end up with only 1/4 the original resolution. For example, a 2 Megapixel model could give you just as many pixels per inch representing your subject with a 200mm lens, compared to cropping an 8 Megapixel image taken with a 100mm lens to make it look like you used twice as much optical zoom.

http://www.geocities.com/digital_ray...oomzoomv7.html

I would caution you that the D40 and D40x require lenses with a built in focus motor if you want Autofocus (you'll need to go with either Nikkor AF-S lenses or Sigma HSM lenses to get Autofocus). So, that means that many inexpensive new and used lenses would not work on it if you want Autofocus (although you could use Manual Focus instead for lenses without a focus motor).

Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:30 PM   #5

Thank you Jim. I REALLY appreciated the links and the article. I'm a mom with 2 kids (and the dog). I'm trying to be budget concious.I may very well just by from somewhere like CC, so that if I have a problem I can get in the car and get the issue taken care of.I had heard about the Nikon lenses and the AF and the AF-S ones being compatible. What length do you reccomend for taking pictures of my kids during their sports? I have one in football, the other plays soccer. All games are outdoors during the afternoons, so I don't think light will be an issue. Also I want to make really nice 4x6 and 5x7's, possibly an 8x10 here or there. I was unsure about the added 4 MPX's being worth the additional cost.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:56 PM   #6
Administrator

alikat75 wrote:
Quote:
I'm a mom with 2 kids (and the dog). I'm trying to be budget concious.I may very well just by from somewhere like CC, so that if I have a problem I can get in the car and get the issue taken care of.
You can't be too careful buying camera gear, especially with Nikon gear (since Nikon is very firm that they will not service a gray market camera, even if you are willing to pay them for the service).

B&H ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com is very reputable). I'd see how their prices compare with other reputable dealers.

Quote:
I had heard about the Nikon lenses and the AF and the AF-S ones being compatible.
Only Nikon's AF-S lenses will Autofocus. Regular AF lenses from Nikon will not Autofocus on a D40 or D40x. Sigma's HSM lenses will also Autofocus on these cameras (but, the HSM lenses are usually more expensive).

Quote:
What length do you reccomend for taking pictures of my kids during their sports? I have one in football, the other plays soccer. All games are outdoors during the afternoons, so I don't think light will be an issue.
Something like a 70-300mm or thereabouts would probably work fine for daytime sports. But, most budget lenses with that focal range are not going to Autofocus on a D40 or D40x.

These models are somewhat of a mixed bag. They're the lowest cost models in the Nikon DSLR lineup. However, the lenses can end up costing you a bundle, depending on what you shoot. So, they are not necessarily the best choice. We'll see more and more AF-S lenses from Nikon as time passes. Ditto for HSM lenses from Sigma.

But, for right this minute, budget choices in some focal ranges is limited with these models if you want Autofocus. You can't get Autofocus with any of the Tamron or Tokina lenses with these cameras right now at all.

In a budget lens, something like a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Lens is a popular lens. It's usually around $200. But, it will not Autofocus on a D40 or D40x.

The least expensive zoom lens that I'm aware of that goes out to 300mm that would Autofocus on these camera bodies is the Nkkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom. It's approximately $500 ($479.95 at B&H).

You could try to get by with something like a Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 ED AF-S DX Zoom if you can get close enough. It's under $200. They also have a VR (Vibration Reduction) version of it for around $250 now. But, you may feel that it's not quite as long as desired, depending on your vantage point. These lenses would Autofocus on a D40 or D40x (they are AF-S lenses).

Note that none of these lenses are not going to work for anything other than Daytime sports in good light. You'll need a brighter lens for night sports (you'd want a lens that can maintain f/2.8 throughout it's zoom range for lower light use, which will be larger, heavier and more expensive).

Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:16 AM   #7

Right now all games will be daytime until my son moves into middle and high school, so I could wait on a lens for that situation. I know everyone haas there own opinions, but does the limit of Nikon lenses make it a "not so good" value for the intro DSLRs'? I'm not trying to spark debate, I have read Steves' reviews for the Canon Rebel XT as well as the Nikon and he seemed to like them both, but I have heard in other forums that Canon does have a wider selection of lenses. I want to buy a camera that can do well for me for at least the next 5 (if not more) years. Again, thank you for your posts, you have been very helpful!
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:41 AM   #8
Administrator

Well... If I were buying a camera, I'd avoid the D40 and D40x, because I'd probably want to go used on some of the lenses I'd use (and most lenses are not going to Autofocus on these models), or I'd want brighter primes for low light use (and some of the inexpensive primes won't Autofocus on these cameras).

Now, that will change as time passes. You'll start to see more Nikkor lenses with AF-S. Ditto for lenses from Sigma with HSM. But, these models still cut you out of a lot of lenses you'd be able to use with other Nikon bodies if you wanted Autofocus, especially on the used market. Heck, you can find something like an older non-D version of a Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AF lens for around $400 used at vendors like keh.com that would even work OK for some night sports. But, no Autofocus with that kind of lens on a D40 or D40x. You'd need to move into something like a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM lens for that (at a bit over $800 new).

One problem is that Nikon discontinued the D50. So, you don't have any other entry level options right now in the Nikon lineup. So, if you want an inexpensive Nikon DSLR, you have to live with the available lens options (and there are a lot of lenses that will AF on these models, but depending on the desired focal range, they may cost you a lot more than you could find lenses for use with other bodies).

I wouldn't buy one, since I'd want to go with inexpensive lenses for the most part and wouldn't want to limit my options to Nikkor AF-S or Sigma HSM lenses. But, for others, they are good choices (provided you can live with the available lenses if Autofocus is desired). I'd personally be more inclined to go with another solution. But, if you can live with the available lenses out right now with focus motors built in (Nikon AF-S or Sigma HSM lenses), more choices should appear that will Autofocus with it as time passes.

Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:51 AM   #9

alikat-

Have you considered the Pentax K100D. Not only does it have IS within the camera body which Pentax calls "SR" for shake reduction, but it has the ability to use Pentax's current lenses, Lenses from Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina, and all of Pentax's older lenses from the past as well, although, some of them would not have AF. That would give you a much wider choice of lenses.

In addition, Pentax has a "Summertime Rebate Program" that will be in effect until 30 September, that provides some very good rebates. For example, you could purchase the K100D body with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens along with the Pentax 50-200mm telephoto lens for a combined price, after rebates, of around $(US) 540.00. In 35mm terms, that would give you focal length coverage from 28mm to 300mm. No, those are not very bright lenses, but with the higher ISO settings available on a DSLR camera, and your children's sports being outside, that would get you off to an excellent beginning.

I know some excellent dealers that I have used over the years who are very reputable and dependable. PM me and I will be happy to help.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote