Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:53 PM   #1

Ok. First time DSLR buyer and I am contemplating the Sony A100K or the Nikon D40X. If I get the Sony I will be getting the lens kit which has a 18-70mm f3.5-5.6 lens. If I get the Nikon, the lens I will be getting is the 50-200mm f/4-5.6g ed af-s dx zoom. The kicker: my Mom works for Nikon and Ican get the D40X and lens for around $ 650 which is about the same price I can get the Sony and kit lens for. I like how they both feel in my hand. Now, which should I go for?? Thanks for any input you can give me.

mikul93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2007, 5:54 PM   #2

If your mother works for Nikon, presumably she'll be able to get you some sort of discount on lenses you made add at some future date.

That's something worth bearing in mind.........although you are somewhat limited in the lenses that you can use with the D40.

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:12 PM   #3

My first reaction was to say, go for the Nikon (especially if your mother can get you lenses later at a similar discount). But the two lenses you mentioned are totally different horses when it comes to focal length.

While I would be perfectly content with using a 50-200 as a walk-about lensMOST of the time, someone else would hate it because its a telephoto and they wantto take pictures of buildings andobjects both close and far away in the same frame and would feel totally hampered by not having a wide angle capability. What do you like to shoot - how do you see the world? Do you wantto photograph wide vistas ordetailsat a distance? There's noright or wrong answer to those quesions, just personal preference. Will it bother you to have only a telephoto lens on your camera and no way to have a wide-angle view? The Sony's lens is a better all-around/do-most-thingsfocal length, even if it isn't as long as the Nikon. You need to either be sure you won't want something wider than 50 or be prepared to buy another lens right away.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:47 PM   #4

Do you think it would be easy for me to get a 18-55mm wide angle lens later on if I were to go with the Nikon. To me, it seems like the Sony is a more functional camera. Am I wrong in thinking this? My co-worker swears by Nikon. I'm just learning about all this stuff. Thanks for your feedback.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:48 PM   #5

Thats a good point. something I never really thought of for future lenses.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:49 PM   #6

mikul93 wrote:
Quote:
The kicker: my Mom works for Nikon ...
My mom used to work for MetLife. When I got phone calls from insurance agents wanting to sell life insurance to me, I'd tell them that they didn't want to sell it to me, because if my mother found out, she'd kill me, then they'd have to pay out on the new policy. (Now, my stepsons are agents for Nationwide. If I bought insurance from someone else, my wife would kill me.)

I think that if your mom works for Nikon, and you buy a camera made by someone else, you won't be able to show your face at any family functions ever again.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:15 PM   #7

:-) Thanks for the story Tcav. What are your thoughts about the Sony A100K though?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:32 PM   #8

mikul93 wrote:
Quote:
:-) Thanks for the story Tcav. What are your thoughts about the Sony A100K though?
I like the A100 better than the D40X (see http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4241...vel-dslrs.html ). Sony has some great lenses plus very good lenses from Sigma andTamron, like the Tamron 18-250 (seehttp://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...cro-page4.html ) and the 17-50 (seehttp://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...-ii-page6.html ). (I just got this lens for my KM5D. WOW!!!)

The Nikon has some good lenses too, but some of Nikon's best won't autofocus on the D40X, and neither will most of Sigma's. And none of Tamron's or Tokina's lenses will.

The Sony also has image stabilization that the Nikon doesn't, unless you pay extra for the VR lenses.

Aside from the image stabilization, the A100 fairs better than the D40x on a number of points. And the choice of lenses is better for the Sony than for the Nikon. I would not be able to say that for the Nikon D80, but I can for the D40 or the D40x.

But there's a lot to be said for getting an employee discount. I might look at the D80 instead of the D40X if I were you.

So, does the idea of never again having to go to weddings or birthday parties appeal to you? :-)

Old Aug 22, 2007, 9:32 PM   #9

Hi Mikul. I'm also considering a first DSLR. IMO if you go for Nikon, go with the D80. I think the D40/D40x are too crippled for reasons mentioned here. The D80 can comes with a 18-135 kit. The D80 seems to be a great performer. It's much more expensive but in the long run the D40X could cost more in somewhat limited compatible lenses.

Myself I do not consider the Nikon because they don't have in-body image stabilization. The Sony, Pentax K10/K100 and Oly E-510 have this also. So much useful.
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:38 AM   #10

Delius wrote:
Quote:
Myself I do not consider the Nikon because they don't have in-body image stabilization. The Sony, Pentax K10/K100 and Oly E-510 have this also. So much useful.
But it is important to remember that, when you purchase an interchangeable lens dSLR, you are just getting the first small piece of a system.

I can't come up with an analogy for this situation. When you buy a car or a house, the initial purchase is the big one; the accessories for it are minor in comparison. With a dSLR, the initial purchase price can be trivial in comparison to the eventual cost of the entire system. And after purchasing a dSLR, you maydiscover laterthat you can't do what you want because the lenses or accessories you need simply aren't available for the camera you bought.

Nikon and Canon have a broader selection of lenses and accessories than any other camera manufacturer, so it is unlikely that someone might outgrow a D80 or an XTi. Sony and Olympus have a good selection of long fast lenses, but they are VERY EXPENSIVE. And Pentax has a great selection of short fast lenses, but nothing on the long end. It would be unfortunate if someone were to purchase a camera just because it has image stabilization in the body, and then discover that they can't get, or can't afford the kinds of lenses they want, especially if the lenses they want are the kind that would benifit the most fromimage stabilization.

Edit: I did find some long fast lenses for the Pentax mount, but they also cost an arm and a leg. Canon and Nikon still have a better selection, and some cost less.