Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:25 PM   #1

So, every time I think I've figured out what is most important to me, it changes. I'm still trying to find the best compact digicam for my family. I went to my camera store today and tried out three Canons: S5is (not a compact!), SD 850IS and A570IS.

I loved, loved, loved the S5. It was so fast I didn't miss a shot as my 2 year old ran around the store. I loved the layout and the feel. But I'm afraid the size is just too much for me. I am used to putting my S400 into my pocket and carrying it at all times. But, oh, I loved the 12x superzoom. I may need to get this camera.

I had figured I'd want the SD850, as it has IS and facial detection. But it wasn't nearly as fast as the S5. It left me feeling frustrated like I was missing the shot again and again. And it wasn't as well laid out as my S400.

Finally, I tried the A570IS. It fit in my pocket. It was comfortable. The layout was good. But my daughter was done and I didn't really get a good sense of speed. I have to go back. They were telling me that they would be getting the 720ISand I might want that. However, I then read Steve's reviews (again!) and saw that the shot to shot times with flash (and a lot of my pictured end up using flash) on both the 570 and 710 weren't nearly as good as the 850, which already frustrated me.

I'm intrigued by the SX100IS that Canon just announced, as it has a 10x zoom and is much smaller than the S5, but of course, little is known about it so far.

I looked at sample images form abunch of other brands. But the times didn't seem to be much better, and I do like Canons. However, I'm open to looking at something else.

Requirements:
-Image Stabilization
-At least a 4x optical zoom, but I'd love more
-Good movie mode
-Portable
-Fast AF
-2.5" LCD

I don't really ever using the viewfinder, so that isn't a priority. Also, I seldom use manual controls. Though I like them, I can sacrifice them for other priorities. I'm mostly a busy mom snapping tons of pictures of my daughter and two dogs.

Finally, of course, image quality is key. 5 mega pixels is fine. I don't need any more, but to get everything I want, I expect it'll likely be higher.

I was in a rush, but instead I just ordered a new battery for my S400. I'm hoping that will extend its life a few months and I can wait until these new Canons become available. Hopefully good reviews will be out before Halloween.

Joy
joyelyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2007, 9:59 PM   #2

joyelyse wrote:
Quote:
Requirements:
-Image Stabilization
-At least a 4x optical zoom, but I'd love more
-Good movie mode
-Portable
-Fast AF
-2.5" LCD
Exactly the specs of the Panasonic TZ3 except it has more than what you want: 3" LCD, 10X optical zoom. Unfortunately it seems you have a hard time to find that brand. A pity because they have the best lenses and image stabilization.

You should go with the S5 if you love it. Yes it's not pocketable, but buy a small case for it and it shouldn't be a big deal.

But I read the title of your message "fast shot to shot times with a flash". See the reviews for the flash recycle times. Beware some compacts are dead slow recycling the flash. I have a friend who had a Canon A520 and it was a nightware to take any picture with the flash (the LCD screen goes blank for 8-10 secondes before allowing you to take another picture). He bought a S3 IS and he is much more happy now (even if it's still not as fast as my FZ8 on this point).
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote