Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:40 PM   #1

I have sold my old Canon film gear and am looking for a digital SLR to replace my beloved T90. I have been having the age old dilema, well since 2005, Canon 30D or D200. I have had the chance to handel both and slightly preferred the D200, technically the D200 looks better and more versitile but...

The majority of 30D photos I have seen look more vibrant sharper than the D200.

I have read issues with the D200 re banding problems whereas nothing re the 30D.

I have seen more posts complaining of errors and focus problems etc with the D200.

Then theres all the talk over the higher ISO noise (looking at sample photos I dont think the difference is that great)

Price wise the D200 is £815 and the 30D £585, I am not rich.

My heart is telling me the D200 offers alot more but my head see the nicer images and lack of problems (aparently) with the 30D.

I have read in reviews that third party lenses don't work too well on the D200, it would have been nice to use say a tamron 18-55 f2.8 whic looks a great lens and would have cut the cost difference down

I have read so many reviews and comments on this and other forums but am still confused and would value input from anyone who has used either or preferably both.

The new D300 is way too expensive but the 40D may just cut it at a push and the sacrifice of lens quality for now.

Thanks

suller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:22 PM   #2

Hello Suller,

Reading this forum , I realise I hardly know anything about photography.

I did some intensive research though, and I must say I have been very impressed with the only sub-1000 dollars which consistently receives a 5/5 on 99 pct of the reviews I have read : the EOS 30D, and this resut is the same from people photographying sport, nature and portrait...

The level of experience among happy people using this camera is also often impressive.

Now the question for me is to choose between the EOS 20D, the 20Da, the 30D, and the 40D. The 40D price can almost buy 2 times a 20D, and40D's release date is unclear.... Soooooooo... I am looking at a bargain on a 20D or a 30D.

Good luck

Phil
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 4:42 PM   #3

Hi Phil,

I have looked at the 40D which has some nice features but it is vey expensive at the moment and the 20D is difficult to get hold of in UK and the few places I have it charge alot for it.

I keep casting me eye down the forums for both Nikon and Canon SLR's and there is very little negative about the 30D wheras there just seems plenty of posts with various D200 problems. I wish I could forget the Nikon but I keep going back and having another look.

Mark
suller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:41 PM   #4

Yep, we are on the same boat.

Here are the best prices I have found :

20D : 869 USD

30D : 969 USD

40D: 1299 USD - Same everywhere

Cheers
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote