Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:14 AM   #1

I have a very good P&S which I'm happy with except for one huge problem: SHUTTER LAG

My twins are now 20 months old and starting to move a lot faster than they once did and I'm missing pictures because of shutter lag.

What I'd really like is a P&S with NO autofocus/Shutter lag at all. But I hear that doesn't exist and I need to go to an entry level dSLR to reliably get rid of shutter lag./Autofocus lag in all light conditions. I am thinking of upgrading

I've been thinking a lot about high end Pocket-able camera vs. DSLR.. I think it comes down to this "equation"

If you have a great DSLR camera but don't take it anywhere because it's a pain to haul around your going to miss a lot of pictures.

If you have a pocketable camera that you can take everywhere you'll miss some pictures because of shutter lag.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this? What conclusion did you arrive at? I don't want to get in to a buy this brand discussion, but keep the discussion at a higher level

P&S vs Dslr

Thanks,
OC_MAN

oc_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:55 AM   #2

OC_MAN, Hi, I generally don't get involved in debates anout brands, but since you feel the same way, I decided to give it a shot. I bought a Nikon dslr about a year ago after using a film slr for many many years. But before the Nikon, I had a Canon s200 p&s and the shutter lag/af lag was atrocious,. The dslr was the answer to the lag problem, but even now I find myself leaving it at home many times unless I have a specific purpose, like a birthday party, Christmas, etc. I did carry my 2mp s200 around in a case attached to my belt or pocket, and almost always had it with me, even working. Having a camera at all times can come in handy. All that said, I just recently bought my wife a sony dsc-n2, so between my nikon and her sony, we have the bases covered. I don't know anyone who carries a dslr around with them everywhere they go. The image quality and lens interchangeability make the dslr a great tool, but not if you leave it at home. Hope I helped more than confused...Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 1:40 AM   #3

oc_man wrote:
Quote:

I've been thinking a lot about high end Pocket-able camera vs. DSLR.. I think it comes down to this "equation"

If you have a great DSLR camera but don't take it anywhere because it's a pain to haul around your going to miss a lot of pictures.
Quote:
Absolutely...

If you have a pocketable camera that you can take everywhere you'll miss some pictures because of shutter lag.
Quote:
Yes...

Has anyone come up with a solution to this?
Quote:
No..
Quote:
What conclusion did you arrive at?
Quote:
After trying a digicam 4 years ago, I bought my first DSLR outfit. After 4 years of hauling a DSLR around virtually everywhere, I got sick and tired of it, so I sold it andbought a Panasonic FZ50 and TZ3 and I'll deal with the limitations. For what I shoot today, that works.
Quote:
If I were in your position, knowing what life events are ahead of you,I'd buy the lightest weight DSLR you can find, two kit lenses, a separate flash, an extra battery, a few cards and Bose earphones so you'll not hear the siren that is the call of all those high dollar lenses that you probably don't really need right now.
Quote:
I don't want to get in to a buy this brand discussion, but keep the discussion at a higher level

Yes, there's plenty of time for that.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:41 AM   #4
Super Moderator

You could try comparing a small & light DLSR with one of the bridge cameras, they aren't all that different anymore.

But the obvious solution is to have both. I do take my DSLR just about everywhere but I also have a compact P&S. Use the DSLR wherever you can and the P&S where you can't.

I think that's fairly common. A compact P&S and a DSLR and miss out the high-end P&S cameras in the middle.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:00 AM   #5

There's no one-answer-fits-all to the question of p&s vs. dSLR. My own personal answer is to carry my dSLR around with one or more lenses (depends) everywhere I go - yes, there are some crazies like me out there. But that's not a good answer for many people.Having both acompact p&s with a dSLR is probably themost versatile solution.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:52 AM   #6

oc_man wrote:
Quote:
I have a very good P&S which I'm happy with except for one huge problem: SHUTTER LAG
I had the same problem as you. I'm using a FZ8 and the shutter lag is not really an issue. From what I understood, it's not the shutter lag the problem, it's the LCD lag: what you see in the LCD in what happened, not what happens.

So the best advice someone gave me is to frame with the LCD then look at your subject rather than the LCD and shoot. I miss much less shots that way with this simple technique. And it helps that the FZ8 has one of the fastest burst mode: 2.8fps, as fast as some DSLR!

Of course a DSLR should be faster for shutter lag, AF and burst, but you can still manage to take great pictures with a good P&S. Try to test the S5 or the FZ8 and FZ50 in store with your kids. Good luck!
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:46 AM   #7

OC-

You have pretty well described the problems that most folks have when using point and shoot cameras. However, the current P&S models do not have that kind of shutter lag. For example, when you have time and you are at Best Buy, or perhaps Circuit City, take a look at the Canon A-570IS camera. If you handle the camera and take a few shots, you will quickly see that the problem with shutter lag has been nicely addresed.

That is not to say that the current crop of consumer level DSLR cameras are not good cameras at all! They are excellent cameras, and they can address photo situations that your average P&S cannot. However there is a vast difference in cost.

The Canon A-570IS that I spoke of above, sells for less than $(US) 200.00 Your average consumer level DSLR camera, equally equipped,is going to cost a whole lot more, certainly in excess of $(US) 500.00 to $(US)700.00. Will the photos that you take be better, probably, but in large measure it will depend on the photographer.

IMHO, if you needed the low light level shooting capabilities of a DSLR camera, and the need to have interchangeable lenses, that would make the switch to a DSLR camera more viable.Unless your budget is without limit, swiching to a DSLR camera due to shutter lag, would not be my cup of tea.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:31 PM   #8

BTW OC_man, you didn't say which P&S you currently have.
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 1:37 PM   #9

I've been on both and all sides of your equation there too. Shooting speed was really one of my hang ups with P&S cameras. I had a Canon S3 IS for a while, exchanged it for a Fuji S6000 (we also have a little Olympus pocket cam) and then moved on to a Nikon D40. Except for literally putting the camera in my pocket, I have no problems taking my DSLR with me every time I'm out. (I don't take it grocery shopping lol). I haven't actually even used our Olympus P&S for 6 months. I just can't take a picture with it, knowing I could have gotten better results with my DSLR. To have the crisp veiwfinder, fast shutter speed, faster FPS (if the flash is off, you can shoot over and over as fast as you can repress the shutter button), and still be light enough weight, I just can't resist using it. And even moreso, the greatest thing is to get perfect shots even at ISO800.

One thing also to consider, is if you really want convenience, you can put a 'do it all' lens on the DSLR and have wide angle, macro and long zoom right there like a P&S...

thats my angle on it,

Ron
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 3:30 PM   #10

Ron-

You have described the DSLR camera viewpoint very well. My only concern is that there are indeed those, among our audience, thosethat will feel the budget pinch and they will be unable to spend as much as $(US) 1,300.00, if they were to opt for the single lens solution, you suggested,by purchasing the Nikon 18-200mmVR lens to go along with your Nikon D-40.

As I mentioned previously, there are indeed many advantages to using a DSLR camera, and we see more and more folks moving toward that kind of solution. However, is also important to note as well that our camera manufacturers have listened to the cry from consumers about a number of needed improvements, among them "shutter lag."

Every professional camera review written today goes to great pains to describe in detail all items of camera performance including time from power on till be ready to take a photo, and shutter lag. Today's cvameras are decidedly different and vastly improved in their performance, including the measureable elimination of shutter delay. They are just a whole lot better, and provide more features for less out of pocket money.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote