Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 25, 2007, 8:27 AM   #1

On the 30D, is there any "burst" or "superburst" mode allowing with a fast lens to take a full golf swing sequence at 10 img / second, of course at a lower resolution?

I have read about the 5 shoots per second, but I do notknow whether this can be increasedat lower pixels.

A golf swing takes approximately 0.4 seconds, and4 pics would be just fine, with the initial position and final position adding another 2.

Thanks.

philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2007, 8:52 AM   #2

No, it has no super burst mode. 5fps is the best it can do. Right now the 1dmkIII is the only camera I know of capable of 10fps that is available.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 9:04 AM   #3
Administrator

How big do the photos need to be?

The Olympus E-100RS can capture 1360x1024 pixel images at up to 15 frames per second. It's an older model (first introduced in 2001). But, they pop up on Ebay from time to time. It's buffer isn't the largest compared to newer cameras. But, it should be sufficient for a golf swing.

It's also got a precapture mode, so you can hold the shutter button down half way and let it start snapping away, and when it's fully depressed, it automatically saves some of photos you have set during precapture while continuing to shoot. So, you don't have to worry about your reflexes, shutter lag and timing as much that way.

If the images don't need to be this large, a number of models have modes that let you capture smaller images fast. Some of the inexpensive Coolpix models have a mult-exposure mode that can place a sequence of thumbnails on a single image that can be useful for things like analyzing a golf swing. A non-DSLR model is not constrained by the need for a mechanical shutter and mirror mechanism. So, an electronic shutter can be used.

See the baseball swing capture at the bottom of this page for an example of what the E-100RS can do (scroll down and you'll see it). That capture used 7.5 frames per second (and you'll see some right above it at 15fps, too).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...s_samples.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 9:26 AM   #4

Thanks.

I am planning to sell thesequence as a single page (format double- letter landscape ) showing 6 pics, so yes indeed, the pictures do not need lots of pixels.

Iam not quite sure that the lens of the Camedia is fast enough though.

On the baseball example, the bat is movingtoo fast. I guess a higher speed or higher ISO was needed, but light would then have not been enough.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 9:44 AM   #5
Administrator

It's a pretty decent lens, and it's also stabilized.

It would give you the same angle of view as a 38-380mm lens on a 35mm camera, and it's relatively bright as those things go (f/2.8 on the wide end, only losing a half a stop to f/3.5 on the long end).

Those baseball pics were taken at ISO 100, and I see a shutter speed of 1/650 second was used with an aperture setting of f/4 (with f/2.8 available at the focal length being used) So, ISO 200 and f/2.8 would have given you around 1/2600 second in that same lighting with the aperture opened up another stop (f/2.8 is twice as bright as f/4, and ISO 200 is twice as sensitive as ISO 100).

It's capable of ISO speeds up to ISO 400 (and is probably cleaner from a noise perspective compared to some of the newer non-DSLR models at ISO 400), since that 1.5MP CCD used was a pretty good one, with much larger photosites for each pixel compared to most newer cameras like it.

For daytime use, I don't think you'd have a problem with it if you could locate one in mint condition.

The print sizes you need would be the question. I probably wouldn't try to go much larger than 5x7 with it (but, you could probably get away with 8x10s if you interpolated them using software first and took a bit of a quality hit).

Some of the newer non-DSLR models have similar features, too. For example the Olympus SP-550 can do 15 frames per second for 20 frames at 1.2MP, or 7 frames per second at 3 Megapixels. But, I think you have to use the 15 frames per second mode (lower resolution) before the precapture will work with it.

There are some more models around that can do that (fast capture with precapture available). But, I can't remember which ones off the top of my head. If I get some time today, I'll dig through the reviews and look and see which ones can do precapture at a higher resolution.

Old Aug 25, 2007, 9:56 AM   #6

Cool - thanks for setting me strait Jim. I learned something today already and it isn't even lunch time yet
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:18 AM   #7
Administrator

That camera (Olympus E-100RS) was built for that kind of thing, and used an electronic shutter to accomplish it (which also allowed things like shutter speeds up to 1/10000 second if light permitted).

I know someone that likes to use one for capturing images of lightning. The precapture feature allows him to wait until after he sees it strike and still get the images. lol

It's a sought after model on the used market. They pop up from time to time on EBay (I see one there now with 7 days left in the auction).

We'll probably start seeing a lot of cameras with very fast frame rates in the future. For example, Sony announced a sensor and DSP combination (1/1.8" type) in April that can do 6 Megapixel images at 60 frames per second. lol

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/c.../imx017cqe.pdf

Of course, you've probably seen the recent Sony announcements about a new sensor for DSLR models that can do around 10 frames per second at 12 Megapixels.

So, I expect to see more new DSLR models with better burst capability in the near future, too.

But, depending on how a model implements the technology, you may have to worry about mechanical parts being up to the task (mirror, shutter mechanism). That's probably why the recently announced Nikon D300 is limited to 6 to 8 frames per second (shutter/mirror design). The new D3 (with a different sensor) is capable of a faster burst rate (thanks to a beefed up mirror/shutter mechanism).

Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:38 PM   #8

Looks like Casion listened to my needs ...

60 pictures per minute at 6 mega pixels, that is just amazing !

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07...asio300fps.asp

All I need to know now ith the buffer size, the price and the date of starting selling!

Phil
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:48 PM   #9
Administrator

It's only a prototype (no model name, release date or anything yet).

Look at the link to the Sony sensor in my last post to this thread. It's probably using that Sony sensor. ;-)

I'd expect Sony, Pentax, Nikon and others to be working on models using this new Sony sensor. Casio just made an announcement about a camera first (even before they had a model ready to sell, since their press release indicated it was a prototype).

Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:29 PM   #10

Thanks a lot.

As you said, it is difficult to imagine a mirror flipping at 60 times a second, right ?

So when this sensor is going to happen, that may be for p&s only and not for DSLRs ?