Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:55 PM   #11

Hi Sahara,

The G9 is available now at a price around $499.00 and from what I'm reading getting real good reviews. Now I guess I'm just arguing price with myself. Number one I know the price will come down in a month or so. Can I wait? Is it worth waiting for? Is really that much better a camera?I don't know! I can buy a canon S5 now for $299 and start taking picture now. In the end I'll probably end up buying a SLR after I buy the P&S anyway. At least that's what happened to me with the the 35mm. AAAAAAAAgh I think it would be easier to take up drinking!
Bob penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 4:16 PM   #12

Bob-

Well if a DSLR is the ultimate goal, the Pentax K-100D (which also has a IS feature) with the current Pentax Summertime Savings Rebate Program, places the Pentax K-100D below the price of the Canon G-9. That could be food for thought.

When you mention the Canon ultrazooms, I honestly wonder if you can purchase a S-5IS for $299. It might be the S-3IS for that $299 price. However, you could short circuit those extra expenses and move now to a DSLR camera. If that is the ultimate goal, you could purchase the DSLR now (all the consumer level DSLR camera are highly rated) and still have money left over for some very nice lenses to go with it. More food for thought.

BTW my name is Sarah, NOT Sahara!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Well if a DSLR is the ultimate goal, the Pentax K-100D (which also has a IS feature) with the current Pentax Summertime Savings Rebate Program, places the Pentax K-100D below the price of the Canon G-9. That could be food for thought.

When you mention the Canon ultrazooms, I honestly wonder if you can purchase a S-5IS for $299. It might be the S-3IS for that $299 price. However, you could short circuit those extra expenses and move now to a DSLR camera. If that is the ultimate goal, you could purchase the DSLR now (all the consumer level DSLR camera are highly rated) and still have money left over for some very nice lenses to go with it. More food for thought.
I have to say I totally agree on that. If you were considering a Pan FZ, their almost as big as a DSLR anyway, might as well have some great speed, great iso, and great image quality right from the start!

Quote:
BTW my name is Sarah, NOT Sahara!
LOL too funny!

Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:50 PM   #14

I agree that if you think you will end up with a DSLR you should just buy one to start with.

If you want to start non-DSLR consider something that will fit in your pocket. That way it will still get a lot of use when you get your DSLR. With film I always had a small pocket 35mm and have more photos with that than with my SLR gear. My experience has been similar with digital in that I get more photos with my small camera because it is always with me.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:04 PM   #15

Thank you Highway and Slipe-

You are so very correct. I carry a DSLR and an ultrazoom (Sony H-2) all the time and I actually grab and use the H-2 more than I do the DSLR, just because it is more convenient, requires less set-up, and the photos are almost as good as those from the DSLR camera. Food for thought.

Here is a photo that I took yesterday with the H-2 instead of the DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2007, 7:19 PM   #16

Sarah,

Many of the images in this thread including this last pic from you (seagull) confirm my recent decision to purchasethe S5 over a dSLR. (Xti or E-510 were the options)

I'm way too lazy to lug the whole dSLR mess around and these images prove that, in the right hands (defined as "other than mine"), the latest SuperZ s are 90% of a dSLR for half the cost. I'll probably get a dSLR next year but what you've all done on here is better than I can do right now anyway.

Great image.

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 7:40 PM   #17

Thanks, John-

It is good to see you again. Yes, I certainly do agree with you. An ultrazoom, such as the S-5IS, is an ideal camera on which to really fine tune your photographic skills. I hate to say it over and over again, but we only get better by practicing our skills every single day.

I am NOT saying that an ultrazoom beats a DSLR camera at all. I am just saying that a so called "bridge camera" or an ultra zoom camera such as a Canon S-5IS or a Sony H-2 or a H-5 provides an excellent learing tool to get you ready for your eventual jump to a consumer level DSLR camera.

The photos that ultrazoom cameras provide are not really as good as a consumer DSLR camera provides, but they do come close. Here is an example photo.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:02 AM   #18

First I am sorry about the name thing! Now the world knows why I struggled to get out of the 3rd grade, but I guess I am still qualified to run for vice president . You can tell I did pass geography. Maybe the best excuse is just theI'm getting with this camera thing

A few of the contributors hit onmy delima. The DSLR with all the junk that goes with it often causes it to be left at home. I have experienced that, lugging around my F1. That's why Ioriginally wanted to start with the P&S and I'm hesitant to start with the DSLR. I do know two cameras are inevitable.

I am a mushroom fanatic and I want to be able to document the conditions of the mushrooms as I pick them in the wild. This ability would help in the positive identification of the mushroom. Very important when you like to eat them. That is also why I place so much emphasis on sharpness.

Most of my traveling is done on a motorcycle and then into the woods for a 4 hour hike. Carrying all the junk becomes prohibitive.

I can buy the s5is from Broadway or Best price.com for $295; but will it do the job or is there something out there that will do a better job with more versatility? I don't mind stepping up the price if the G series is that much better. I am a firm believer in"buy the best the first time".

Bob penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:10 AM   #19

Bob,

I'll just add one last time (I think maybe you don't care for the Fuji brand?) but I would at least advise to really look at the Fuji S6000. If your going to be in the woods, shooting mushrooms down where it's darker, it seems to me a higher quality iso response would also be a paramount importance.

On all these camera's mentioned (to be blunt), their higher iso images are terrible. They are MUCH below the quality of the Fuji's. It does have macro and super macro, and does have a very sharp lens. It's light and the image quality is awesome. If you only want something pocket size, then of course it won't do..... Of all the superzooms, it IS the closest thing to a DSLR bar none. I've had/used several of those cameras. They are good and fun but if you really want the best for what it sounds like your trying to do, really think about this. Also check http://www.dcviews.com/ and look at the picture samples of all the cameras. Read what they say about the sharpness of the macro test subject and the low light response. Another good thing to do, is go to Flickr and read the posts in the groups for each camera you are considering. Find the thread where people talk of their likes and dislikes. Get a feel for how happy people are and what the downsides are from a group of users.

Best wishes on all this,
Ron

Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:12 AM   #20

Bob,

I love the S series (S2 & S5) so if you go that way that's great BUT if you're seeing the S5 for that price PLEASE check the reseller ratings. That number might be right for an S3 but it's way too low for a 60 day old camera. I got one from Amazon for $435.00. Anything much below $400.00 and I'd start to call "Bullsh*t".

Good luck whatever you decide.
JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote