Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:19 PM   #11

Sue-

I do not believe that the Minolta 2800 flash may work with the Canon S-5IS. If I remember correctly Minolta had a single line of contacts on the flash bottom (where it mates to the hot shoe) which is not like the multi line of contacts on the Canon hot shoe found on the S-5IS.

I have found that my Canon EX 420 flash and for that matter, any of the Canon hot shoe flashes will work on the Canon S-5IS. I also tried a Opteka EF-600DG and that will also work on the S-5IS as it is designed for the Canon Flash System.

Concerning the Panasonic FZ-18, a lot of folks are looking for a professional review of the FZ-18. On paper, it looks rather impressive, and I am told that it has been released for sale.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:13 PM   #12

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Concerning the Panasonic FZ-18, a lot of folks are looking for a professional review of the FZ-18. On paper, it looks rather impressive, and I am told that it has been released for sale.
I can testimony that I saw one in a store here in Montreal :-) I resisted the urge to buy it since I already have a FZ8, it costs 530$ cdn and I'm more into buying a first DSLR right now (still not make my choice).
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:56 PM   #13

Here are the contact points of my Minolta flash. Think it would work on the Canon S5IS?
Wish some professional reviews would come out on the Panasonic FZ18.
Maybe I will purchase the Canon while on sale this week and just not open it to avoid the restocking fee. Then I can decide if I still want it after some reviews.
I still think the proprietary battery issue with the Panasonic will make my decison to stay with the Canon. But if the reviews are great, I may chance it with the Panasonic.
Attached Images

Justsuern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:08 PM   #14

Justsuern wrote:
Quote:
I still think the proprietary battery issue with the Panasonic will make my decison to stay with the Canon.
I know it's a matter of preference but both type of batteries have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer Li-On battery because they are faster to recharge, are much lighter and compact. You can buy a clone battery for 10$ on ebay shipping incl. On the standard battery I shooted 500 pictures during 5h. With only one spare battery, I can shoot all day confidently.
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:08 PM   #15

The FZ8 has it all over the S5 IMO. Better IQ, better detail.Only things S5 does better is hot shoe and video. But the FZ8 still results in better pictures.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:43 AM   #16

After a power surge fried my battery charger in Cancun, I decided to never get a camera with a proprietary battery. I was lucky it happened on the last night of our trip rather than the first day.
And I can buy the new Eneloop rechargable batteries for half of what an extra proprietary battery would cost.

Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:45 AM   #17

I bought the Canon this weekend since it was on sale for $399. And my Minolta flash does work!
I have some time to decide if I want to keep the Canon.
Sure wish some reviews on the Panasonic would come out. Although I am still leaning toward keeping the Canon.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 12:24 PM   #18

I started with the Canon S1IS and it had a prob which Canon resolved by GIVING me the S3IS and I've enjoyed every little moment I've had with it. I am not a pro by any means but it takes some amazing shots. Dealing with a manufacturer that stands behind its product would be a definite advantage in my mind.
twin90s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 2:12 PM   #19

Sue-

I am happy to hear that the Minolta Flash works with the S-5.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:15 PM   #20

The price of the Canon S-5IS has fallen as of 09/04 to $(US) 349.95 at B&H! that should be food for thought!

Sarah Joyce