Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:20 AM   #31

Hmmm:idea:...probably have to get an SD card, bag, and a charger. first
foxx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 2:26 PM   #32

foxx_ wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm:idea:...probably have to get an SD card, bag, and a charger. first
silly us. We thought since you already bought the camera you would have a card and charger so you could use it. So sorry for the mistake :idea:
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 2:29 PM   #33

foxx_ wrote:
Quote:
Correction- paid $200 not $250 - who says that I bought it via a dealer:-?...now I need to get some accessories:bye:.....any suggestions..:cart:
actually I believe Sarah is using dealer and store interchangably. To answer your question you said you bought it from a store:
Quote:
I just negotiated with the store is all:-D
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 2:42 PM   #34

I smell troll.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 3:26 AM   #35

Thought I'd weigh in on this post if everyone doesn't mind - obviously theOP has made a decision and is looking for some helpful advice - least we can do is to help the person out - in addition to the standard accessories - I would probably look at getting a tripod - since I recently purchased an S5 and am not all that savvy with cameras - I found the tripod helped considerably in improving the quality of the pictures that I was taking.

-Auto
auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:39 AM   #36

Auto-

For what it might me worth, I will be starting a Canon S-5IS Flash Tutorial beginning today in the Canon Point & Shoot folder on this website. You might want to drop be and take a look. The Op, foxx, in this case, needed a camera for a situation that demanded a bit of extra lighting, and a good bounce flash is surely an excellent means of obtaining it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 3:26 AM   #37

Im in a similar dilema. i have just bought the fz8 but it was a 50/50 choice with the canon. I feel i have made the wrong decision but dont want to give up on the fz 8 with out a fair go. At the time I was more concerned about the battery but now what it comes down to is the quality of the picture. I'm not a photographer. I just want good pictures of my kids, holidays and my daughters concerts, pretty much everything. Shall I changed to the canon which I have the option of doing or will I be just as pleased with the fz8. What shall I do?

Help would be great! is it worth the extra money and the expense on batteries. I just want a good quality picture at a fast speed.

Thanks

seashels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:55 AM   #38

The battery issue is way overblown IMO. You will see stellar batt life from the Panny. Pick up a second one from battery barn or similar and you'll have way more shooting power that you will ever use in a day. I too prefer disposable batteries when possible but don't forget with those you'll need to lug around another 4 AA's with you. The weight is not incosiderable.

I will state again unequivocally the FZ-8 simply takes better pictures than the Canon. If, and only if, you need a hot shoe and/or video output choose the S5. If picture quality matters most-as it should for a DC-then by all means keep the one you have. YouWILL regret if you change.

Mike

Old Oct 4, 2007, 6:19 AM   #39

Thank you soooo much. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. The canon sounds and seems like a great camera but I really didn't want to have to change. (just a costly hassle). Picture quality is my upmost choice in a camera and speed is next. I am more than happy with the speed.

Just one more thing, as a get more involved with taking pictures, will there be a need to possibly upgrade in the near future? do you think I can get acceptable (doesn't have to be professional) results for my daughters concerts?

Thanks again, you've been a HUGE help.

seashels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 2:46 PM   #40

No problem. Just remember that you'll get differing opinions here and mine is just that. However I have used both cams so you can take that FWIW.

Tough to say on your daughter's concerts. All depends on lighting. You'll want to try to stay at ISO 200 or less so watch the auto ISO settings if you use auto for that. Chances are you'll be able to get good results. Get as close as you can to the subjects.