Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2007, 5:20 AM   #1

Which would you buy (and why) the Canon S5IS or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8?

Foxx

A Confused Camera Buyer
foxx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2007, 7:35 AM   #2

foxx-

Neither the Panasonic FX-8 nor the Canon S5IS will be good for photos in a low light level shooting environment. Both will be limited to a maximum ISO setting of 200 to keep the noise under control. Beyond that the are virtually equal, if one is considering features other than flash. The only advantage for the S-5IS is that it has a hot shoe.
The FZ-8 will be the most inexpensive solution for use out of doors.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:31 PM   #3

What about the H9 - only issue with the H9 is the dumb proprietory :angry:storage media - otherwise known as memory sticks.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 9:05 PM   #4

foxx-

The Sony H-9 is a pretty amazing camera. You can find very reasonably priced ProDuo sticks rather easily. Have you seen my answer to your H-7 versus H-9 question.

And for your reference, here is a photo that really demonstrates how good the Sony H-9 really is.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:27 PM   #5

I have the FZ8 and it's a very good camera in its class.

That being said, if price was not an issue, I would probably go with the S5. Why?
1) The hot shoe.
2) The tilt and swivel LCD.

These are the main difference. There are pros and cons for each camera and you cannot go wrong with any of these 2.

I would forgot about the H9. It got some bad reviews. Sony did better with the older H-series I think.

Cameras to consider also:
The new FZ18 is just out and available for 399$ US from Panasonic Direct. No hot shoe or movable lcd but an amazing 18x lens.
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:40 AM   #6

Delius-

I am guessing that there is a whole lot of folks, myself included, who are looking forward to reading a professional review of the Panasonic FZ-18, just as they are the Fuji S-8000. I agree with you that things do appear optimistic concerning the FZ-18, now, we will just have to wait for that review.

I learned that the Fuji S-8000, unfortunately will not use a high ISO capable imager, it will use a conventional imager, just as Fuji used recently on the Fuji S-700/S-5700 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:04 PM   #7

For the FZ18 there is only one "official" review for now:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...ix-DMC-FZ18/p1

I don't know if we can call it professional though.

Also check the dpreview forums for experience from early owners.
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:37 PM   #8

Thanks saw the review of the H9 - am not going the H9 route - they get you by selling proprietory technology....like $70 for a replacement battery is a rip off not to mention the storage media is memory sticks. I'm going the Canon route as I can get a deal via a contact.

Foxx

A Confused Camera Buyeraranoid:
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:50 PM   #9

I have a Canon Power Shot A85 that I love. Just the right size for taking anywhere. But I am looking for another camera with better zoom. So I had decided on the Canon S5IS until I started reading about the Panasonic FZ18 camera coming out. :?
Now I waffle back and forth. I have a flash from an older camera that I could probably use with the Canon. I am comfortable with Canon products. Right now I can get the camera for $399. We are going away end of September to see the fall leaves in the Adirondack Mountains.
Not sure if it is worth waiting for the Panasonic. A customer last night while I was looking at the Canon said it was a fabulous camera. He loved his. A big plus is the AA batteries. I hate proprietary batteries. Almost ruined my vacation in Cancun when a power surge blew out my charger.
Any thoughts? :idea:

Justsuern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:55 PM   #10

Found my flash. It is a Minolta Maxxum 2800 AF. Would that work on the Canon S5IS? :?
Justsuern is offline   Reply With Quote